View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
MickeyJr3000
Absolute Fan

New news.

A WHOLE article on Gilmore Girls in my newspaper??? I'm surprised. I almost never see any GG stuff in my newspaper.

National Post Story
The article in the actual newspaper included one of the press shots showing LG, DR and AB sitting on the stage at the press conference.

Quote:

The elephant in this room is Heidi Klum
New Gilmore Girls producer says his obsession was a personal matter

Rob McKenzie, National Post
Published: Tuesday, July 18, 2006

PASADENA, Calif. - The top entertainment executive at the U.S. network that airs Gilmore Girls expressed surprise yesterday when told the man she has put in charge of the show was formerly so infatuated with supermodel Heidi Klum he left his wife to pursue her.

"I can't comment on that because I don't know about it," Dawn Ostroff, president of entertainment for The WB, told the Post. She said she hired David Rosenthal as the show's executive producer because "I've always been impressed with his writing."

Ostroff's air of surprise was in itself surprising, as Rosenthal's epic desire to have sex with Klum was reported in The Los Angeles Times Magazine, The New York Times and The New York Observer, as well as on many Web sites.

Rosenthal achieved notoriety after he left his spouse in 2000 and took a sabbatical from Hollywood. His professed desires were to become a playwright and to have sex with Klum, who in 1998 and 1999 was a guest star on Spin City, for which Rosenthal was an executive producer.

In an interview in 2001, Rosenthal explained himself to The New York Observer: "One day I was like, 'Wait a minute! ... I don't care about money. I don't care about power. I don't care about success. What do I care about?' You know what I realized?

"I wanted to have sex with Heidi Klum ... I was sitting there in my five-bedroom house, with my pool and my brand-new Porsche convertible in the driveway and my two-and-a-half-million-dollar-a-year job at 20th Century Fox studios, and I realized that I would rather be having sex with Heidi Klum. I would give all of this up right now to go have sex with Heidi Klum ... and so I sat down and wrote this play."

The play, Love, was denounced by a New York Times reviewer as "so colossally egocentric as to make me wonder if it isn't some kind of big joke."

After Ostroff appeared before TV critics yesterday morning, Rosenthal took to the stage in the afternoon, alongside series stars Lauren Graham (the mother) and Alexis Bledel (the daughter).

When I asked Rosenthal how he looked back on his enchantment by Klum, and how that makes him the right person to guide Gilmore Girls, he declined to answer on the basis that it was a personal matter.

When I attempted to ask a variation on the question, Graham snapped: "That has nothing to do with anything. Next question!"

I had not foreseen her anger, perhaps because I have been a fan of Gilmore Girls for several years and think of Graham as an actress of the calibre of the timeless Elizabeth Montgomery, from Bewitched. Besides being beautiful, both of them always seem like the smartest person in the room.

Though Rosenthal would not address the Klum issue, he might have been reflecting on the lessons he has learned when, in discussing his series earlier in yesterday afternoon's session, he said: "Life is full of drama ... [and] choices you regret."

In its first six seasons, Gilmore Girls was run by the wife-and-husband team of Amy Sherman-Palladino and David Palladino. They left at the end of the latest season amid a contract impasse and were succeeded by Rosenthal, who was already a co-executive producer.

Season 6 culminated with Lorelai getting into a shouting match with Luke over their delayed wedding date, at which point she ran off to see Rory's father, Chris, and awakened in his bed the next morning. Although the season-ending shot does not make it 100% clear that they'd had sex, it certainly looked that way.

The Palladinos wrote the finale. (In one of the episode's nice touches, a troubadour sings: "You never say hello when your goodbye-in', unless you're Hawaiian." It's the kind of sidelong gag that produces a low ha.)

Graham said Lorelai's flight into Chris's arms makes sense for the character. She said Lorelai was tired of waiting for Luke to make up his mind on a wedding date, to the point where she simply "couldn't take it anymore."

Rosenthal pronounced himself happy with the cliff-hanger bequeathed him by Sherman-Palladino. "That's the stuff of drama, so she's left us with a full plate," he said.

The Season 7 opener is written by Rosenthal edited for spoiler Last season he wrote the third episode (Lorelai and Luke haggle over wedding date, like that narrows it down) and the third-last episode (Rory's boyfriend takes a tumble), and both were up to the usual Gilmore standard.

Even if Rosenthal writes masterfully this season, his reign may be brief, as Graham and Bledel are in the final year of their contracts. Both will surely attract many offers elsewhere. Asked if she considers this her final season, Graham replied, "I'm just approaching this as this season," rather than as the last season.

Regarding the final moment of the series, Graham said Sherman-Palladino told her she envisioned it as two words, but never specified what those words were.

- Gilmore Girls' season premiere is currently scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m. on Global. Read Rob McKenzie's TCA blog at nationalpost.com

rmckenzie@nationalpost.com
I think he got the season premiere wrong...didn't they say that the show was going to start airing on Sept 26th?

Last edited by jennarose; 07-18-2006 at 05:18 PM