View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
MickeyJr3000
Absolute Fan

I have transcribed the Lauren Graham TCA Audio clip that was posted not two days ago. I cut out a lot of the unnecessary words (like, um, etc) so it looks cleaner.
I'm not including the one question that is debateably a spoiler (even though I thought it wasn't), but if you want it I can pm it to you.

Here it is! (And thanks Gjoni and Katie for linking me with the audio!)

Quote:
LG TCA Audio

(Rumblings that I can’t make out)
LAUREN: Certainly, the number one thing about an actor is you do not judge your character. So to me, I just thought – What if I’m in such a place - I just want to get this (wedding) sealed, that I would let him take his time and dictate his family constraints-? And that made sense to me.
Male Reporter: (Can’t make it out)…last scene, sleeping with your ex-husband?
LAUREN: I thought it was great! I can’t believe people were upset. I thought it was so great because that is such good drama. That is what people do. And it was out of such a painful time and out of this build. That’s what, to me, made all that - her going against her natural instinct - make more sense. Or, it sort of (showed that) this is how repressed she’s been for this long that she’s so upset now, she’s so disappointed, she’s so let down.

And there’s always been something between them (Lorelai/Christopher). It’s not like, she picked up some new guy in a bar. That would be outrageous and out of character. This is someone who has been a major focus in their lives…and who loves her, and who is available to her, and so, psychologically it made total sense to me.
Female Reporter: Was David Rosenthal consulted on (the season finale's last scene)…?
LAUREN: David Rosenthal?
Female Reporter: Yeah, he was on the staff already.
LAUREN: I think they all talked about it, together. Consulted? I don’t know, because I don’t know if anybody knew exactly what was going to happen.
Female Reporter: So, you were saying you’re getting a little more information from the script. How far into it do you know, then?
LAUREN: I have only read the first script, their outlines available for the first couple. And it’s normal. It’s normal tv. It’s just, Amy and Dan were more last-minute writers, which, you know, plenty of people are.
Female Reporter: How last minute? Like David Melsh-
LAUREN: Like, the night before, you get it (the script).
Female Reporter: Okay, yeah.
LAUREN: No, we didn’t get a lot of rewrites on set, although, sometimes. But, yeah, you get it the night before.
Female Reporter: That’s a lot of memorization.
LAUREN: Well, once they figured out that, (chuckles) they could - because we could do it like that - I think that if we’d have a harder time they would have to adjust.
Female Reporter: That’s dialogue, though…how did you manage to do that?
LAUREN: Well, it’s also the word perfect of it, and I think that that’s a really specific thing. Because there’s no changing anything. I think that might loosen up a little bit (now), which to me, is something I have wanted, just a little bit. Not like we’re improvising, but just so that I’m not driving myself crazy with the recitation and the focus on the perfection. Instead, the focus can go back on the emotion and, what I’m trying to do.
Female Reporter: Were there a lot of multiple takes then, because you got the word wrong-
LAUREN: (Chandler-style) Oh..my god.
Reporters: (Laughs)
LAUREN: I would have said that to you at any time. I think that’s a point of pride for them. And again, there are famous showrunners who are like this; David Kelly, and Aaron Sorkin, who -they hear it in their head in a certain way and that’s the way they want it. And that’s to be totally respected. It just…it made for a really long day. It just…was hard.
Other Reporter: Have you ever been frustrated with the character—
LAUREN: (Referring to probably the claustrophobicism) Let’s all just, step back and let’s all love eachother.
Reporters: (Laughter)
Other Reporter: Have you ever been frustrated with the character over the years at all? Have you ever said—
LAUREN: No, not really, I mean, I’ve spoken to the two major story points that I just had trouble with. I had trouble finding a new way within an episode- Because it’s not a very plot-driven show. Not a lot happens, so you’re in emotional arcs for a while. And I get another episode where, whatever it was, and I would question, how can I make this (make sense to the character?) Because the thing about television, is you get new information you take, even if it’s tiny, like a little step forward every episode. And I would have trouble sometimes looking for what the difference was, why this story was different than last week’s. But, I always thought that it turned out pretty well. It’s just questions you ask, you know-
Reporter: How do you know when it’s time to move on?
LAUREN: I don’t know. I think it’s two things. It’s a creative issue. If we feel like there’s literally more story to tell. And it’s a lifestyle issue, because, this has been a particular kind of work that is very very challenging, in a way. There have been times-it had gotten a lot better, but in the early years, there were times, people were getting sick, It was just extreme conditions, because, to do all that language, we shoot so many more pages –It just make for a really long day.
Another Reporter: Were you surprised that (I can’t make this part out) didn’t get done with Amy?
LAUREN: No. I mean, I don’t know. I don’t really know the details of it. I know what Amy said to me, and I know what was out there, and the two stories are different, as you would expect.
Female Reporter: You spent the whole summer working…
LAUREN: Yes.
Reporter: So, did you not want a break?
LAUREN: I just wanted to do this movie in particular-the Steve Carell movie, and I really like to work. I mean, if I had my way, I would have had two weeks off instead of three days off, but, it’s really not -any other pace is just so different from the show. And, that these opportunities are coming to me, and that the show-- and, this is something that Amy and Dan, and Peter Roth really killed themselves to get me out to be able to shoot this movie. If stuff like that can continue to happen, then I’m in the best position as an actor as I could possibly be. And-
Reporter: How was it, working with Steve Carell.
LAUREN: It was great.
Reporter: What character do you play?
LAUREN: I’m his wife, and I’m kind of like Terry Garr in Close Encounter. I think he’s going crazy. And, basically, it’s progressions of that. It’s sort of the Noah’s Ark story. G-d tells him to build an ark, and, at first, he refuses and then animals start coming to him, and there’s a flood, and he has to build a boat –
Reporter: More animals…
LAUREN: - Which is why I’m tanned. We’re building a lot of ark montage, with huge, heavy hammers, and animals, smelly camels and –
Reporter: Dogs?
LAUREN: No dogs. No, there were dogs.
Reporters: (Laughing)
Male Reporter: It sounds like this was very different from working with Billy Bob Thornton.
LAUREN: It was very different. I say nothing dirty, and it’s a movie for the whole family to enjoy.

Last edited by MickeyJr3000; 08-02-2006 at 04:34 PM