View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 AM
lorelaisgirl
Loyal Fan

CW Launch Party
The David Sutcliff interview:

MA: I’m with David Sutcliff from Gilmore Girls, and I don’t know if you know this, but you’re kind of in the middle of an internet firestorm here. Luke-Lorelai fans are a bit bend out of shape that Chris is back in the picture. Lorelai just can’t get this out of her system. Your reaction.
DS: Uh, well, I have that effect on women. Uh, no, I’m aware of it, I did an interview for somebody in on online magazine and I was shocked at the response that it got, and I realized how controversial my character is on the show, and how, you know, he’s hated, you know, I think it’s probably like a 70-30 split like Luke-Christopher, so I’m only 30% of that. There are— I do have my fans, but mostly I have detractors. But for me it’s kinda fun, it’s a lot of fun to be that character and it’s also the opportunity to win over the audience this season. I’ll be doing a lot of episodes this year an maybe, just maybe, I think, bring those fans over. That’s my hope, that’s my goal.
MA: Now, how many episodes are you doing? There’s a lot of speculation: 13, 9, 16, give us a number.
DS: Well, I’m gonna do the first 13 episodes and then we’re talking about uh, a certain number of episodes in the back 9. We haven’t quite figured it out yet, uh, so that’s what’s going on. Right now, it’s varying from 13 to 16 episodes this year, so.
MA: Is it fair to say that this season Lorelai and Christopher are gonna make a go of it, in the way they had before, like really trying to make this thing work?
DS: Is it fair to say?
MA: Yeah. Is it accurate to say, is it fair to say, knowing what you know?
DS: I don’t know. What did Lauren say when you asked her that?
MA: I didn’t get to that, they pulled her away before.
DS: Yeah, I can’t really answer that question, I mean, that’s like a major story element. If I gave that away, I’d probably get into some big trouble. I’m around a lot, you can draw your own conclusion.
MA: Well, Dave Rosenthal actually already told me that there’ll be a romance between Lorelai and Christopher.
DS: There you go. We’re gonna develop that romance, we’re gonna see where it goes, I don’t know, I get it as the audience does. When the new script is delivered, I read it, I find out what the next story development is and I’m just as surprised as anybody about where it’s going and it’s part of the fun, part of the excitement. I don’t ask what’s gonna happen, so it’s sort of like, you know, God coming down every ten days delivering a script and you find out what’s happening in your life. It’s kind of, kind of fun. So far the scripts have been really good, the story lines have been fun, Lauren and I have a good time working together, we always do, and uh, you know, I think it’s gonna continue, I don’t know where it’s going but right now definitely there’s some romance happening.
MA: Could you see the show ending, the final season, it being Lorelai, Christopher and Rory, you know, the family back together again, happy?
DS: I think that’s probably the fantasy for a lot of the viewers; ultimately having the family back together would be uhh, I think, cathartic for a lot of people, because the trauma of a split family is very difficult, and I’m sure a lot of viewers of the show can relate to that personally. So there is that there, but I actually think for me, it seems to make the most sense, that the show started with the two girls together, kind of on their own, dealing with their lives, and it seems to me that it makes sense to end the show with those two together on their own dealing with their lives, that would be my pitch to the writers, and I think that would be the most logical conclusion, but you know, if they hook us all up, that would be a good ending too, I wouldn’t be mad.
MA: Now, I heard a rumor, last question here, that there might be a trip to Paris in the future for you and Lorelai. I’ve got good sources.
DS: Yeah, you do.
MA: Please tell me they’re actually gonna send you to the real Paris, not some backlot on the Warner Bros. set.
DS: I wish I could tell you that, dude. No, they’re not sending us to Paris. We’re not Ocean’s 13, we’re an hour television drama, and we’re uh, Paris is the backlot of Universal. But uh—
MA: Is it really Universal?
DS: Yeah, yeah.
MA: Oh, so at least you’re going across town, about a mile.
DS: Yeah, we’re going across town. Friday night, it’s our trip to Paris. I think there was, apparently, there was a 30-second, you know, conversation like “Let’s go to Paris!” and everybody got exited and then somebody with some sense said “Uh, no, you’re not going to Paris”. So that’s as close as we’re gonna get this season. Uhm, which is just, you know, kind of disappointing. We’ll take what we can get.
MA: All right David, thanks for stopping by, have fun tonight.

Last edited by lorelaisgirl; 09-21-2006 at 08:16 AM