View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 02:48 PM
lorelaisgirl
Loyal Fan

Thanks to caf for the rough outlines.

CW Launch Party
The Scott Patterson Interview

MA: I’m with Scott Patterson of Gilmore Girls. I have to say, the season premiere, I thought you were amazing.
SP: Oh, thank you, I haven’t seen it, thank you.
MA: I thought you did, really, that last scene at the porch, I thought you really hit a homerun.
SP: Wow, thank you so much, thank you.
MA: What has it been like, this season? Big changes, behind the scenes.
SP: Big chances, yes, the mood on the set is one of, I mean, it’s a real positive mood. We miss Amy and Dan dearly, I miss them dearly. They gave us our start. When they didn’t have to, they could have run with names and they, you know, they plucked unknowns out of the uh, you know, I was gonna say ‘garbage’, but I think I’ll say firmament. Well, what’s the middle ground between firmament and garbage? The sludge?
MA: There you go; sludge.
SP: All right, the sludge. The biggest of the sludge, the Hollywood sludge, and you know, and gave us careers and for that we will forever be in their debt. Now, it’s a new team assembly, and they’re positive, creative, challenged people. And we’re, we’ve always had a good time on the set and continue to have a good time and we want the show to go-go-go, you know.
MA: I don’t know if you go on the web much, but Luke and Lorelai fans are not happy.
SP: They’re not?
MA: They’re not.
SP: They’re not happy?
MA: I’ve never seen them more unhappy.
SP: Well, why is that?
MA: Well, because of the way the season ended, because of the way this season is gonna start, now, you know, people are thinking that it’s over for them. Do you have any reassuring words for these fans?
SP: Well, I don’t really know what’s going to happen, they don’t tell me anything. I did have a meeting with the writers, at the beginning of the season, just to say ‘hello’, and get to know them a little bit and it’s a really, really great group of people. You know, look, I think it’s different over --- if you have a decade long vision for a story arc or for a series, you have got to keep the tension there. I mean, you can’t just bring two people together and I know the fans have been waiting for it for a long, long time. And they deserve some kind of resolution to this thing, one way or another. I just don’t think it’s coming this year. I don’t know for sure, uh, you know, you just gotta tune in. They don’t tell me anything, they really don’t.
MA: In your gut, in your heart, do you believe that Luke and Lorelai are meant for each other? They’re soulmates?
SP: I actually do, yeah, I do. I think they’re --- I think they’re destined to be together. My prediction is that they will be together. But we’ll see. We’ll just see, I just don’t know, there are so many different routes that the story could take, you know, as you will know.
MA: One thing I know fans are gonna love is the opening scene of the second episode, where you punch Christopher’s lights out.
SP: We’re allowed to talk about that?
MA: We’re allowed to talk about that.
SP: That was actually very difficult to shoot, because of the angle of the punch. I mean it can’t really be a real punch, obviously. There were no stunt doubles, and it wasn’t nearly as deadly as I’m sure they’ll make it look. And I uh, I, you know, I like David Sutcliff an awful lot, he’s a terrific guy; so I had to be very professional and just execute the punch.
MA: Another question some fans wanted to know is, why didn’t Luke ever really get upset with Anna for hiding April from him for all those years. He never really had that moment where he’s like “how could you do this!”
SP: I think it’s coming. I think there are things that are coming, that’ll uh, that’ll take, that will encompass all of those feelings. I really can’t answer that, I don’t know why. I think maybe it was more because he was – he wanted , he, you know, wanted to attend to his daughter, he wanted to get to know his daughter first, and that was a priority. And, you know, dealing with any residual feelings, you know, will come, probably.
MA: Now something else we’re probably not allowed to talk about, but I heard a rumor that Luke is gonna go out on a date with April’s swim coach?
SP: I--- that’s the first I’ve --- you know more than I do.
MA: I do, actually.
SP: You’re like James Lipton on the Actors Studio. Where do you get this stuff?
MA: I can’t tell you.
SP: I mean, I dig and dig too, but they don’t tell me anything.
MA: Yeah, so you might wanna prepare for that. Luke is gonna go out on a date with April’s swim coach.
SP: Is that right?
MA: Yeah.
SP: Well, you heard it here first.
MA: And do you think Luke is ready to move on? I guess it’s more the question like “how long is it gonna take?”
SP: Oh boy, I --- I don’t. No. I don’t think he’ll ever --- no matter what happens, if it doesn’t end well for Luke and Lorelai, I think Luke is always gonna pine for her and think “what if” and maybe “I made a big mistake”. You know, that kind of thing. But it’s awfully hard to knock a guy for wanting to get to know his daughter. You know, and I know the fans are a little perturbed with me, for this, for this kind of, for this eventuality, but there’s not much I can do about it. I mean, you’ve got this 12-year-old kid, and it’s yours and you’ve gotta take care of her, so that’s gotta be a priority.
MA: Eehhh, forget about it.
SP: [laughs] yeah, okay, just whatever, you know.
MA: Whatever.
SP: Whatever.
MA: You got your diner to run, you got a diner to reopen.
SP: Exactly.
MA: All right, have fun tonight.
SP: I will.