lorelaisgirl
Loyal Fan

TV GUIDE PODCAST OCTOBER 27TH, 2006

DM = Daniel Manu
MA = Michael Ausiello
AC = Angel Cohn
MMcD = Maitland McDonagh

START 13.41

DM: Uhm, Mike, we got so many letters about Gilmore Girls this week.
MA: Why? Did something break in the news this week about Gilmore Girls?
AC: Did it?
DM: Mike, walk through, I mean, there’s been, you know---
AC: They’re evading something?
MA: Spoiler alert.
DM: Yes, big spoiler alert for people who have been living under rocks the last week.
MA: Yeah, don’t go near any newsstands, ‘cause it’s right on the cover of TV Guide.
DM: Yes, it is actually.
MA: It is.
DM: Which is awesome. I love that. Mike, there’s been a lot of whispers about this, for some time.
MA: Interesting choice of words.
DM: Yes. Thank you. I thought about it ahead of time. But uh, tell me, walk through the process about Dave Rosenthal and how this interview that you did with him came to be. Like, did you approach him about this topic? Did he approach you? I mean, why is this coming out like this?
MA: It was a very sensitive negotiation period, Condoleezza Rice was present. Uh—
DM: He’s basically confirming a huge, huge spoiler.
MA: Okay, well here’s the thing.
DM: Why is he doing that?
MA: Because that spoiler had already started to leak, uhm, on the blogs.
AC: Uh, you.
MA: A certain television blogger had started to leak that surprising information. It was inevitable.
DM: I think other people were talking about it too.
MA: No.
DM: It was also ---
MA: If they were talking, it was all starting with me. So it was inevitable that this was gonna come out before the episode aired. So I think that Dave realized that it would be a good opportunity to come out ahead of time, and sort of talk about it so that --- to diffuse maybe some of the potential backlash.
DM: Well, buddy, mission not accomplished.
MA: Although, I don’t know that he did it for that particular reason.
DM: Right.
MA: But I think that maybe I tried to sell it like that, like come out ahead of it, talk about it, get some buzz going for the show. Because the fact of the matter is, people may be pissing and moaning, but they’re still gonna watch it.
DM: Right. Of course. Just to say they hate it, they’re gonna watch it.
MA: You know, we also dangled the uh, you know, TV Guide cover of mine, and a photo.
DM: There’s, there’s that as well.
MA: You know.
DM: There’s that as well. And he also kind of didn’t, didn’t say anything about the wedding or even deny that there might be another wedding.
MA: Right.
DM: This season.
MA: He didn’t. And he didn’t keep too much away, he confirmed that there was an elopement, but he didn’t say too much about---
DM: the circumstances.
MA: Yeah. So.
DM: And he also, you had that great moment where you asked him if it is the last season, will Amy come back and he was like ‘uh, uhm, uh, y-, uh’.
MA: I think he was caught a little off guard by that.
DM: Yeah. ‘Cuz it’s the last thing he wants to know. You know what I mean? Like it’s almost saying ‘hey, great wife, but is her ex-husband gonna come back and bang her?’
MA: Yeah, and I mean, you know, exactly. It’s like right now this---
AC: That’s exactly what it’s like.
MA: He feels like, I’m sure he feels like this is his show he’s working on. He’s working his ass off on the show, so think about someone coming back and finishing up what he started this season?.
DM: Sounded to me he didn’t appreciate the question.
MA: He may not, but you know what, it’s worth asking, and I personally, I think Dave is doing a good job with the show this year, uhm, he was saddled with the Lorelai/Christopher story, which I think some people tend to forget. That wasn’t his decision to go in that direction, that was a story he was left with. But uh, I think he’s doing a good job, but I still would like to see Amy come back, if it’s the final season, and write that final episode.
DM: And uh, a letter from a listener named Jessica, about your interview. She was ‘blown away by a couple of things Dave said. Namely, he didn’t think their would be a backlash; he has to know that he inherited a fanbase that had been miserable for the past season, and now this season he’s making it worse. People were angry before, what makes him think that having this elopement happen won’t make things a thousand times worse.’
MA: He didn’t say there wouldn’t be a backlash. He said he’s not worried about a backlash.
DM: Yeah, well, I mean, these fans are a vocal minority in my opinion.
MA: I don’t know about a minority, but they are vocal.
AC: Very vocal.
MA: Yeah and the thing is, the only thing about the Lorelai/Christopher thing, not the only thing, but the thing that I have a problem with, it felt very rushed to me. Yes, we were lead to believe a whole summer had passed between the break up with Luke and when she hooked back up with Christopher, but for us, it was one week. And it was just, it was weird for me to see her kissing Christopher so soon after the break-up with Luke.
DM: And uh, and also, you know, a listener named Craig, who has a lot of things to say but one of them is, ‘why would Luke ever wanna look at Lorelai again?’ You know, after this, this--
MA: ‘Cause she’s pretty and has knockers that are cute.
DM: Alright, well
MA: She has pretty knockers.
DM: Well, that’s reason enough.
MMcD: That’s a great reason.
DM: Craig also has a bullet pointed to, you know, this week’s episode. He said ‘what happened to the show I once loved? Luke is on for two lines yelling; April is MIA; Sookie is bashing Luke; Lorelai is sounding like a stupid kid, blaming Luke for all her problems; and Emily and Richard are back on the Chris-ship, did they ever care about Luke? I don’t think they ever did.’
AC: No, I felt they were pretty clear that Luke was never really good enough for her.
DM: Yeah, I felt so too.
MA: I actually liked this episode.
DM: I kind of liked it too.
MA: I thought it was really funny, and I thought that Logan/Rory stuff was fantastic.
AC: Oh, so good.
DM: I disagree. I disagree. Is Rory really that, that shallow, that whiney?
AC: Well, I think she’s insecure, she’s got a boyfriend who’s hours and hours away in London.
MA: Yeah, and who has strayed before.
AC: Who—Yes. Bridesmaids.
MA: Yes. Exactly.
AC: And I think that she does have a right to be a little apprehensive and I mean, she gets to talk to him in little bits and pieces and this are clearly, this Bobby-woman is clearly somebody he spends a lot of time with at the office. I mean---
MA: Totally justified and I actually thought Alexis Bledel was pretty funny with her reactions at that table to her. I’m not gonna say I loved the final scene of that episode with Christopher, Lorelai and Rory in a car together.
AC In a car. It was like so---
DM: That was sweet.
MA: It was a really sweet moment, the whole family together like that, and I have to say it was really nice.
DM: Uhm, a listener named Gater, wants to know, Mike, if you think Christopher and Lorelai are truly the quote unquote end game.
MA: Christopher and Lorelai? Are the end game? No. I don’t think so. Just a hunch.
DM: Just a hunch?
MA: Just a hunch.
DM: An educated hunch?
MA: I mean, listen, we read Dave Rosenthal’s interview. He said he’s a Luke/Lorelai fan.
DM: Yup.
MA: You know.
DM: And uh, we, you know what, not everybody is dissing Lorelai and Christopher, besides uh, you know, I’m a supporter of them, and a Nicole, from Sweden, who points out that she’s actually our first Swedish listener, not the person I said last week, she says that she’s a Lorelai/Chris fan. ‘Lorelai has always had better chemistry with Christopher and it’s not that hard to believe that they’re meant to be.’ I like to agree.
MA: I’m getting a lot of pro-Lorelai/Christopher emails too.
AC: I – I never really cared about Christopher one way or the other. But I’m really enjoying them together, I think it’s kind of cute. I know it’s too soon, but like, they’re kinda sweet.
DM: And hey, didn’t Lorelai date a lot of guys throughout the series? It’s not like she was ‘it’s only Luke’. You know what I mean? For five years, six years, seven years.
AC: She almost married that Max dude.
DM: Yeah that dude, the rich preppy guy, who worked with Richard, I mean there was other guys she was dating. The teacher for a while, remember. There’s been other guys in her life. If you know what I mean, it’s not like she’s a one-woman man. One-man woman.
MA: Did you see her on Studio 60? I did. Very funny. She had a very funny scene with Matthew Perry.
DM: Yeah, I blinked and I missed it, but it was a good scene. No, I know what you’re---
MA: I know it was a really, I thought it was a really funny scene. They brought Gilmore Girls into it.
DM: Yeah, but it wasn’t--- you know, I’d—a bigger part for her, this—this---
MA: She got as much screen time as Felicity Huffman did in her little cameo in the pilot.
DM: Well, that’s fair enough. That may be true.

END 20.25

You guys know the drill, 'errare humanum est'.

Last edited by lorelaisgirl; 10-27-2006 at 03:44 PM