lorelaisgirl
Loyal Fan

TV GUIDE PODCAST NOVEMBER 17, 2006

DM = Daniel Manu
MA = Michael Ausiello
AC = Angel Cohn
MMcD = Maitland McDonagh

Start 14.21

DM: Uhm, big episode of Gilmore Girls, this is the one that people have been buzzing about all season, the—the—elopement episode, and of course we got a lot of uh negative mails about it and a lot of positive mails about it.
AC: Really?
DM: Yeah. So what did you think Angel?
AC: Are you gonna let me go before the mails?
DM: Yes, because you’re more important than mails.
AC: Thanks for that. I actually really really didn’t like it at all. And I have been a supporter of Christopher for this season, I think he’s fun and cute and I like them together, but the elopement felt really really forced. It felt like he bullied her into getting married, and like the only reason she’s doing it, is ‘cause she doesn’t want to, like, lose another guy.
DM: Mike, any thoughts on that? I didn’t even see the full episode, but obviously you have some thoughts on this.
MA: Well, I tend to agree with Angel. I wasn’t really crazy about it, but---
AC: Can we mark what time this happened?
MA: What?
AC: You agree with me, can we mark the time this happened?
MA: I think it’s good I’m three thousand miles away. When I’m actually sitting in a room with you and looking at you, I’m like ‘how can I agree with you?’
DM: Ohh, come on. Not cool. Go ahead, Mike.
MMcD: Come on kids, stop it.
DM: Go ahead, Mike.
MA: Uhm, so anyway, you know what, I think part of it too was knowing it was coming, it was kind of like anti-climactic, do you think that--- that that hampered your experience, Angel? Knowing two months ago that this was happening?
AC: I don’t even know if it was that. I just thought, like, that they didn’t even show the elopement. It just, like, it didn’t seem like ‘Oh my God, we’re in Paris, we got caught up in the moment’, like, it just seemed like she was like ‘uhhhhh, I’m undecided’ and then two seconds later she was married to him.
DM: Yeah, it did feel--- I thought it was actually interesting that all took place off camera, I liked that, in a way. But of course we got a letter from a listener named Danielle from Dresden, Germany who points out the implausibility of this quick marriage in France. She points out that there’s a bunch of different ways you can get hitched in France. One is a religious ceremony, that can only happen after you’ve been legally married through a civil ceremony; there’s also an exchange of vows, but that is not considered legal. And for a civil ceremony, you gotta have birth certificates, affidavits, certificate of laws, a decree, a change of name deed, and you gotta stay in Paris for at least forty days, or at least in France for forty days.
MA: This person should not watch Prison Break.
DM: So her question, actually though, Mike, because you sort of hinted at this with your interview with Dave Rosenthal this week, is this marriage legal? Because I got a feeling this marriage ain’t gonna be still lasting at the end of this season, right?
MA: Yeah, I mean, that’s one way to get out of it, you know, in February whatever they can find out ‘hey look it wasn’t legal to begin with, we’ll just go our own ways and whatever.’ Uhm, but the --- I would be shocked if they’re still married by the end of February.
DM: And uh, plus because David Sutcliff isn’t even signed for the full season.
MA: Yeah, he’s only doing a couple of episodes in the second half of the season, so I think that’s a really good indication that the marriage is doomed.
DM: But there were actually a couple of good other story lines this week, one of them was Rory and her two little uhh, dipstick friends.
AC: You just smite those girls.
DM: I don’t like those girls at all, but it was really funny dialogue. It was just classic Gilmore quick back and forth dialogue, I liked how she kept saying ‘the boyfriend’, she didn’t want to say just ‘Marty’.
AC: ‘The boyfriend’. That was very Gilmore Girls, I thought.
DM: It just was very funny to me, like one of the funniest pieces in the season so far.
AC: And that scene between, like, Rory and Marty was very, like, awkward and entertaining, I thought.
DM: Yeah, and I like Marty, although you what I noticed, didn’t he used to wear glasses? Am I crazy or did he have glasses at some point?
AC: I don’t know if he wore glasses.
DM: Mike, did Marty have glasses when he was on the show earlier?
MA: No.
DM: Okay.
MA: I don’t think so.
AC: He just had bigger hair.
DM: Okay, ‘cuz now I got a feeling like now he’s gonna be a love-interest, they’re making him look more attractive.
MA: But he’s not gonna be a love-interest and he --- you know the interview I did with David Rosenthal, he said that---
AC: Isn’t that the whole thing?
MA: ---it’s still gonna be a one-sided affair, and like, Marty is gonna be into Rory, but it’s not gonna be reciprocated [[???]] and my reaction to that is like ‘well, didn’t we already play that story?’
AC: Right. That’s why he ran away the first time.
DM: Well, you know, it’s not gonna be all hugs and kisses and everything with Logan and Rory, can’t be. There has to be a complication that comes up.
MA: Did he move back this episode?
AC: No.
DM: Not yet, no.
MA: Okay.
DM: And I also liked the couple moments with Lane, what’s his face ---
AC: That was my favorite part of the episode.
DM: ---and with the mother, and when he said ‘cool’. That was hilarious, that was hilarious.
AC: “I’ll be--- you’ll be moving in here” “Cool”.
DM: Cool! I mean, like I thought that stuff was really well handled.
AC: Yeah, no, I thought the Lane-stuff with the twins, and him thinking that they were Siamese twins, was really funny and very, like, typical Gilmore; and I, like, felt that stuff like that was entertaining.
DM: I didn’t sookie a single scene this week.
AC: How is that possible? Well there was no Sookie to sookie, there was no Kirk to sookie.
DM: Right. No Michel.
MA: To me it sounds like you liked the episode?
DM: I liked it overall, I didn’t really care that much about the Christopher-Lorelai stuff, I liked everything else in the episode.
MA: Yeah.
DM: To me, the other stuff was more entertaining than the Christopher-Lorelai stuff.
MA: Hmhm.
DM: Mainly because I knew what was coming, I guess.

End 19.13

Errare humanum est.