View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Jet1945
Extreme Fan

Episode 6.07- "Unnamed" - Casting Sides Summary

Episode 6.07 - UnNamed
Air date: 25 Oct 2005

Info taken from Sides in the Pre-Shooting Script released 26 Sep 2005

The information summarized below is taken from the 8 Sides for Rev. Boatwright, Shelby, a Bartender, Mai Mai, Marion, Katherine, Tweenie, Claire.

I will include context and stage descriptions where appropriate.
  • Characters:
    Bartender - Man tending Bar at Rory's Birthday Party
    Claire- - Woman, caterer for Rory's Birthday Party
    Katherine Thurston Moore - Woman Emily's age attending Rory's Party
    Mai Mai - Emily's Maid of the Week. It is a non-speaking role.
    Marion Lewis - Woman Emily's age attending Rory's Party
    Rev. Boatwright - Preacher invited by Emily to counsel Rory
    Shelby - Woman part of a couple that arrives early to Rory's Party
    Tweenie Halprin - Woman who works with Rory at the DAR.

Editor Note: The Casting Sides for this episode, with the exception of Rev. Boatwright, concentrate primarily on Rory's Birthday Party. The first one starts with Scene 15 already in progress at the Gilmore Mansion.

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Night (Night 4) - Scene 15 -

Editor Note: Scene 15 is already in progress between Emily and Rory. Rory appears to be just arriving for dinner with Richard and Emily.

Emily comments she sees that somebody got their dinner invitation

Rory tells her - "Yes, I did. And thank you. It's been weeks since I had anything that hasn't been super-sized for dinner."

Emily says that Rory has been so busy lately she had to resort to pot roast and mashed potatoes to get Rory to dinner.

Rory verifies - "Pot roast and mashed potatoes?"

Emily continues - "With baby carrots, parker house rolls and ice cream sundaes for dessert."

Rory exclaims - "Wow! Am I dying?"

Emily tells her to grab the bottle of wine.

Stage Direction: Emily motions to an open bottle of wine on the cart. Emily picks up two drinks and heads into the dining room.

Rory tells her - "Sure."

Stage Direction: Rory picks up the wine and follows Emily into the dining room.

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Dinning Room - Continuous - Night (Night 4) - Scene 16 -

Stage Direction: Rory enters the dining room. Richard is sitting in his seat at the table. Sitting in Lorelai's usual seat is a kindly-looking older man, Reverend Boatwright. Emily puts one of the drinks down in front of the man and one of the drinks down in front of Richard. Rory stops for a beat, surprised to see they have company.

Richard looks up - "Rory. How lovely that you could join us. Do you know Reverend Boatwright?"

Rory stumbles - "Uh, no."

Richard continues - "You know Emily ordered some of this wonderful Irish butter. You haven't tasted rolls until you've had them with Irish butter. I'll be right back."

Stage Direction: Richard gets up and exits into the butler's pantry. ROry watches him go. She takes a roll and puts it on her plate. She puts the basket of rolls down. She looks over at the Reverend and smiles a little.

Rory blurts out - "And then there were two."

Rev. Boatwright says that her grandparents have told him a lot about her.

Rory mumbles some more - "Oh, yeah?"

The Reverend says that they are very proud of her.

Rory tells him that it is a mutual admiration society.

The Reverend asks = "You have a birthday coming up nest week?"

Rory confirms - 'Twenty-first."

The Reverend continues - "Well, well, well, it must be wonderful to be a young woman just turning twenty-one. The world is out there just waiting to be conquered."

Rory limps along - "I guess so."

Rev Boatwright asks her - "I hear you have a boyfriend."

Rory - "Yes."

The Reverend expounds - "Ah. Young love. It can be so exhilarating. So intense. All those feelings rushing around inside of you. I remember being young and having all those crazy feelings."

Stage Direction: Rory glances toward the butler panty doors.

Rory - "Yeah"

Rev. Boatwright puts on a serious face - Oh, yes. You know Rory, being a young lady comes with many gifts. Your virtue, for example, is a gift. A precious gift. Possibly the most precious gift you possess."

Rory is really trying to follow what the Reverend is saying - "Uh huh."

Rev. Boatwright is on a roll - "You want to give this gift very carefully. It is a gift that you can give to only one man. Once you give it, it's gone. You can't re-gift it. And if you give it away too soon to the wrong man, then when the right one does come along, you have no gift to give. You'll have to buy him a sweater. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Rory - "No."

Rev Boatwright keeps trying - "Think long and hard about when and to whom you want to give the ultimate gift that you have to give away."

Rory - "Oh."

Rev. Boatwright - "Yes."

Rory - "Oh, dear."

Rev Boatwright - "Oh dear, indeed."

Rory finally gets it together - "Uh, well, listen Reverend, I really appreciate you taking the time out of what I assume is a busy day to come here and talk to me about all of this, but I'm afraid that the um... ultimate gift ship has sailed."

Rev Boatwright - "What?"

Rory continues - "Awhile ago. It's probably in Fiji by now."

Rev Boatwright - "Oh."

Rory - "Yeah"

Rev Boatwright - "Well..."

Stage Direction: They sit there for a long beat.

Rory tries - "So, you see the '40-Year-Old-Virgin' 'cause you might like it."

Stage Direction: Reverend Boatwright shoots her a disapproving look. Rory sighs, takes a bite of her roll and sinks into her chair, as we:
FADE OUT.

End of Casting Sides for Reverend Boatwright

End of Scene 16 and ACT TWO

Editor Note: The Casting Sides pick up at the beginning of ACT FOUR --- FADE IN:

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Rory's Bedroom - Early Morning (Day 6) - Scene 22 -

Stage Direction: The room is dark. Rory is lying in bed, asleep. She wakes up. She turns over and looks at the clock. It says "4:03." Rory lies back on her back and stares at the ceiling.

Interior - Lorelai's House - Living Room - Same Time - Early Morning (Day 6) - Scene 23 -

Stage Direction: Lorelai lies in bed awake. She glances over at the clock. It says "4:03." She watches it till it turns "4:04." She sighs and looks back at the ceiling.

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Living Room - Night (Night 6) - Scene 24 -

Stage Direction: The party is in full swing. The place looks great Dim lighting and votive candles everywhere. The couches in the living room have been moved out of the way and chairs set up in conversation areas. A table, displaying a beautiful cake, is set up where the patio-side couch was. The dining room table has been turned into a sushi bar. Waiters walk around with trays of bright, sparkly pink drinks in martini glasses. A card on the ray says "Try the 'Rory'." Guests have already arrived, though obviously not all of them. We are at the very beginning of the party. Emily crosses through the dining room. She's dressed to the nines. She smiles at the guests, but underneath seems a bit tense. She calls back to a worker.

Emily calls back - "Keep those fans going. I don't want the whole house to smell of fish."

Stage Direction: Emily heads into the living room.

Emily continues - "Disgusting food."

Stage Direction: She passes a couple.

Emily exclaims - Shelby! Martin! So wonderful that you've come.

Shelby a bit abashed - "We're a bit early I'm afraid."

Emily reassures her - "Nonsense. Have a 'Rory". We'll chat later."

Stage Direction: Emily heads off toward the door.

Emily mumbles to herself "Tacky, horrid people. Why not just show up the night before with a sleeping bag."

Stage Direction: Emily heads over to a maid answering the door.

Emily is in full berating mode - "Mai Mai! You have got to get it down to a one-bell answer. Bell rings once, door opens. Please, help me on this. Mr. Gilmore is not here yet and therefore I have no one to help wit the guests or the party..."

Stage Direction: The doorbell rings again.

Emily continues her tutorial - "...So at least make sure that you get the door after one bell."

[i]Stage Direction: The doorbell rings again."

Emily - "That's two bells."

Stage Direction: The doorbell rings again.

Emily - "That's three bells."

Stage Direction: A panicked Mai Mai finally opens the door. Emily turns to the guest entering.

Emily is all charm - "Well, hello Glory! You Look wonderful. Come in, come in."

Stage Direction: Emily turns and sees something. Emily walks over to the staircase. Rory is coming down. She's dressed in a pretty semiformal dress and she looks like she's still in a mood.

Emily tells her - "Rory, you look wonderful. That dress is to die for."

Editor Note: There is a break in Scene 24 and it continues for some length.

End of Casting Side for Shelby

Editor Note: Scene 24 picks up a bit later with Rory, Lane, Zack, and Logan.

Rory is introducing Logan to Lane - "Oh Lane, I want you to meet Logan. Logan, this s my nest friend lane."

Logan - "Hey. Nice to finally meet you, too."

[i]Stage Direction: Lane turns to ROry so Logan can't see and mouths, "He's so cute!" Rory smiles and mouths back, "I know!"

Lane keeps going - "And this is my boyfriend Zack."

Logan all manly - "How're ya doing?"

Zack responds in kind - "I'm hanging in there."

Logan asks everyone - "You guys want a drink?"

Zack comes back - "Drinks are always good."

Stage Direction: Logan motions to the bartender to pour another couple of "Rorys."

Lane exclaims - "Wow, this house is amazing. I've never been here before."

Rory tells her that she'll give her a tour.

Stage Direction: The bartender pours two drinks.

The Bartender tells Logan - "Two Rorys. Extra cherries for the lady."

Stage Direction: Logan hands out the drinks to Lane and Zack.

Lane suddenly realizes - "Oh my god, you have your own drink."

Rory tells her - "Wait till you see the bathroom. The guest soap has my face on it."

Stage Direction: Rory and Lane move off. Logan and Zack follow behind. Zack turns to Logan.

Editor Note: Scene 24 continues for some length.

End of Casting Side for The Bartender.

Editor Note: Scene 29 is picked up already in progress. It starts between Lorelai and Luke. They are at the party having arrived some time earlier.

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Living Room - Night (Night 6) - Scene 29 -

Editor Note: Scene 29 is in progress and Lorelai is talking to Luke.

Lorelai a bit peeved - "You know, they shouldn't be allowed to put just anything into a martini glass. martinis should go into a martini glass. Gin martinis, vodka martinis, period. That's it."

Luke looking at the table - "Do you know what this is?"

Lorelai tells him - "It's raw fish, Luke. Dip it in soy sauce and swallow real quick." - Beat - "We were going to drink martinis. The Rat Pack drank martinis. James Bond drank martinis. Martinis are a real drink. You know, it;s the sweet drinks that really kill you. All that sugar gives you a hangover and makes you throw up."

Luke dryly - "Yeah 'cause no one's ever thrown up from a martins before."

Stage Direction: He puts a piece of sushi in his mouth.

Lorelai ask him - "Have you seen my dad?"

Luke - "Nope"

Lorelai more to herself - "Wonder where he's hiding."

Luke is still working with the sushi - "Okay, I got the red piece down."

Lorelai ever helpful - "Hello, Page Six? Have I got a scoop for you."

Stage Direction: Two women about Emily's age, Marion and Katherine, clearly DAR women, come up to Lorelai and Luke.

Marion is first - "Excuse me, Lorelai?"

Lorelai - "Uh, yeah?"

Marion tramps on - "Hi. I'm marion Lewis and this is katherine Thurston Moore. We.re friends of Rory's from the DAR.

Lorelai begin diplomatic - "Friends of Rory's. Wow. I didn't realize she ran with the bad girls."

Stage Direction: The women giggle.

Marion gushes - "We just wanted to tell you we love Rory."

Katherine chimes in - "She introduced us to buffalo wings and jalapeƱo poppers and for that we will be eternally grateful."

Lorelai - "Ask her about the blooming onion. I'm afraid she's been holding out."

Luke trying to help - "What the DAR?"

Stage Direction:Marion and Katherine look at Luke and then burst out laughing. Luke looks at Lorelai.

Luke somewhat exasperated - "I'm going to get a beer. Anyone want anything?"

Stage Direction: Marion and Katherine wave him off, still trying to control themselves. Lorelai looks at him and shakes her head.

Lorelai tells him - "I'm good."

Luke - "I'll be back."

Stage Direction: Luke walks off. He takes us over to Paris and Doyle, who are holding court with a group of people. Luke walks past and we stay with Paris and Doyle.

Paris is Paris - "Last year I was sleeping with the editor..."

And Doyle on cue - "And now I am!"

Stage Direction: The group laughs.

Editor Note: Scene 29 continues for some length.

End of Casting Sides for Marion and Katherine.

Editor Note: We pick up with Scene 30 already in progress between Luke and Rory.

Interior - Gilmore Mansion - Living Room - Night (Night 6) - Scene 30 -

Editor Note: Scene 30 is already in progress.

Stage Direction: Luke pulls a small, aged jewelry box out of his inside coat pocket.

Luke is telling Rory - "It's a birthday present."

Rory - "Really?"

Stage Direction: Rory starts to open it.

Luke sort of rambles on - "Yeah, I just brought it in case your mother didn't bring one, bit she did, it's the one that smells like strawberry on the top of your present mountain over there, but since I already had it in my pocket, I just figured..."

Stage Direction: Rory opens the box. Inside is a necklace: Delicate gold chain with a diamond and pearl pendant.

Rory is stunned - "Luke."

Luke rambles some more - "It was my mother's. Liz can't wear it 'cause her neck's too fat but your neck looks...you know, not fat, and it was just sitting around in my drawer so I thought 'hey, give it to Rory'. You know, you're lucky 'cause Caesar's birthday is next month and I know he likes pearls, so..."

Stage Direction: Rory throws her arms around Luke and gives him a hug.

Rory is touched - "Thank you."

Luke - "You're welcome."

Stage Direction: Rory lets go. One of the women she was talking with Tweenie, comes running over.

Tweenie jumps in - "I saw a jewelry box and I couldn't help my self. What did you get?"

Stage Direction: Rory shows her the necklace.

Tweenie bubbles - "Oh, it's fantastic."

Rory with some pride - "It's from Luke. My stepfather-to-be."

Stage Direction: Luke is taken aback. He's never been called this before. Rory smiles at him.

Tweenie looks to Luke - "Well, you have exquisite taste, Luke. I'm Tweenie Halpern."

Rory tells Luke - "Tweenie works with me at the DAR."

Luke again asks - "What's the DAR?"

Stage Direction: Tweenie looks at Luke and busts out laughing. Luke looks at Rory.

Luke continues - "I'm killing with that one tonight."

Stage Direction: Rory smiles at him.

End of Scene 30

End of Casting Side for Tweenie Halpern

Interior - Gilmmore Mansion - Patio - Same Time - Night (Night 6) - Scene 31 -

Stage Direction: Lorelai is still at the cocktail table, nursing her "Rory." Emily walks up to her.

Emily - "How's the party going so far?

Lorelai - "Seems to be a big it."

Emily as Emily - "Where's Luke? I hope he didn't get lost somewhere."

Lorelai as Lorelai - "Oh no. I'm sure he's just sizing up what silver he can stuff in his pocket without it making too much of a bulge."

Emily - "I was not insinuating he was a thief."

Lorelai ever cutting slack - "Ah."

Emily comes back defensively - "I was just making small polite talk. That's what you do at parties. My commenting on him getting lost was in no way a swipe."

Lorelai - "I'm sorry, I forgot. Luke went to get a beer. Take it."

Stage Direction: Emily spots something. She frowns.

Lorelai prompting Emily - "Mom? It's all about the timing. You know that. What are you..."

Stage Direction: Lorelai looks at where Emily's eyes were looking. She sees that Emily is staring at her engagement ring. She looks back at Emily. They stare at each other a beat.

Emily ever so polite - "Well, it seems congratulations are in order."

Stage Direction: Beat

Lorelai in response - "Okay, that wasn't exactly congratulations but sure, close enough."

Stage Direction: A caterer, Claire, comes up to Emily.

Claire addresses Emily - "Excuse me, Mrs. Gilmore, but we really should cut the cake now."

Emily asks - "Have you seen Mr. Gilmore yet?"

Claire responds with - "No, I haven't"

Emily rants - "Of course not. He's going to sit all night long in that office of his, moping and sulking, missing his granddaughter's birthday party. And he's going to leave me out here all alone to host it. Fine. Come on, Claire.

Editor Note: Scene 31 may continue for some length.

End of Casting Side for Claire

End of all Casting Sides for Episode 6.07 - Unnamed.