Elite Fan

January 3, 2006

CNN's SHOWBIZ Tonight Interview

Screen Caps: HERE
Thanks to Canopus for making them

Video: HERE
Thanks to Cristin

Transcript:

ANDERSON: And secrets from the set of the new "Rocky" movie from the actor who's playing Stallone's son. We go a few rounds with Milo Ventimiglia in the interview you'll see only on SHOWBIZ TONIGHT.

ANDERSON: Tonight, in a "Showbiz Sitdown," Sylvester Stallone is back in the boxing ring once again. The actor who starred in all five "Rocky" movies is shooting the sixth, "Rocky Balboa," right now in Los Angeles. And California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger just visited the set. There's the picture.
Details about the new movie have been top secret. But tonight in an interview you'll see only on SHOWBIZ TONIGHT, the actor who plays Rocky's son, Milo Ventimiglia, he joins us live to dish a little bit and to talk about his new DVD release "Dirty Deeds."

Milo Ventimiglia joins us now live. Thanks for being here.

MILO VENTIMIGLIA: Definitely. Thank you for having me.

ANDERSON: All right. We just showed the picture of Governor Schwarzenegger on the set, but we also have pictures of you and Sylvester Stallone on the set. I want to ask you, Sylvester not only starring in this film, but he's also directing it.

VENTIMIGLIA: Directing...

ANDERSON: So what is that like for you, under his direction?

VENTIMIGLIA: Well, it's nice. He wrote the script, as well, writing, directing, producing and acting, so he -- if you have any questions, you can really talk to him about it, because he knows the world of the characters and the story.
At the same time, like, he's a very kind person with his time. And he trusts the actors and what they're doing. And he hired us for the reason of doing service to these characters that he brought to life several years ago. And now it's continuing...

ANDERSON: Almost 30 years ago.

VENTIMIGLIA: Yes, I know. I wasn't even born or thinking about being conceived, I think, when the first one came out and was made.

ANDERSON: Well, let me ask you about that. It's been nearly 30 years, nearly 16 years since the last "Rocky" film was released. What do you think the appeal is?

VENTIMIGLIA: I think there's always going to be a want for films like this. I mean, it's the working-class, underdog story that appeals to, I think, not just Americans but anybody. It's just nice to see, you know, such an earnest, such an honest character continue to grow throughout, you know, one film to the next film to the next film. And into the sixth film, which is such a beautiful story. It's really nice.

ANDERSON: And now you are a part of it.

VENTIMIGLIA: And now I'm a part of it.

ANDERSON: And let's get down to it, secrets from the set. We want to know, what are you filming right now? Is there anything involving fight scenes with Sly right now?

VENTIMIGLIA: We took a week in Las Vegas to film a fight sequence. And then we were in L.A. for about 2 1/2 weeks. And we're actually about to pack up and go to Philadelphia to work for the brunt of the script. Ah, secrets, I don't know...

ANDERSON: What can you tell us?

VENTIMIGLIA: ... I don't know what I'm allowed to talk about. It's going to be a great film.

ANDERSON: Oh, it's horrible.

VENTIMIGLIA: It's very reminiscent of the first one, going back and acquainting myself with all of the films. I think that it's closest to the very first film...

(CROSSTALK)

ANDERSON: And good to hear that you've done your research.

VENTIMIGLIA: Oh, yes. I did.

ANDERSON: And Sylvester Stallone, he's turning 60 years old this year, Milo. Has there been any joking, any ribbing, on the set that he's back putting the gloves on again?

VENTIMIGLIA: You know what? You joke with him, you're going to get hit.

(LAUGHTER)

No, he's a -- I don't think there's been joking so much as just the logistics of, if a boxer were to come back, if he were to come back and try fighting again, what's the reality of it? Would they allow that? Would they be too concerned about him hurting himself or hurting somebody else, in like this kind of fit of rage of, hey, it's the last fight? But, no, nobody -- you can't really make fun of a guy who's in, like, the best shape of his life.

ANDERSON: He still looks good.

VENTIMIGLIA: He looks great. And what I think was so amazing for me to see was his stamina. You know, he wrote, directed, is producing this film, and he's acting, and he's doing a great job. And he's keeping his energy up from the very beginning of the day until the end of the day.

ANDERSON: He showed me part of the script last year, and he was thrilled about it, very, very excited about it. And quite a career, I must say. Congratulations to you, as well. Quite a career you are having, too.

VENTIMIGLIA: Thank you.
ANDERSON: In addition to this, also, you've got a movie coming out on DVD, right?

VENTIMIGLIA: Yes, "Dirty Deeds," a film that came out at the end of the year and coming with a DVD release.

ANDERSON: Not an X-rated movie, right?

VENTIMIGLIA: No, no, no.

ANDERSON: I just want to clear that up.

VENTIMIGLIA: Oh, no, no. I'm sorry, no, it has nothing to do with ACDC. It's a high school story, a simple story about a kid who gets challenged to do a series of what they call dirty deeds over the course...

ANDERSON: Dares.

VENTIMIGLIA: ... yes, dares, over the course of a night for homecoming.
ANDERSON: Well, thanks for clarifying that. And thanks for sharing all of this with us.

VENTIMIGLIA: Definitely.

ANDERSON: Milo Ventimigla, thank you for taking time with us tonight.

VENTIMIGLIA: Thanks a lot.

ANDERSON: And you can catch Milo in "Dirty Deeds" on DVD January 10th.