Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Master Fan

Lady in the Water (2006) #1

Here's the IMDb link

Unfortunately we lost the old thread.

This is the latest M. Night Shyamalan film, and I'm absolutely looking forward to it! Love his movies.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thank you for starting the thread again.

Trailer: Trailer
Official Website: ladyinthewatermovie.com

I'm excited to see this movie as well. The first trailer was a little weird with the Josh Groban music in the background. I like this newer trailer better. Seems to show more of the storyline and what to expect.

So far it looks pretty cool although labeling it as a "bedtime story" sounds a bit misleading because after viewing scenes from the trailer, I don't think this is something I want to take my 5 year old to. Well, if I had a 5 year old.

Cassiel: If you'd known this was going to happen, would you have done it?
Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. ONE.
- City of Angels
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for telling it was an M Night Shameonyou flick, i'll avoid it like the plague.
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
Thanks for telling it was an M Night Shameonyou flick, i'll avoid it like the plague.
I knew it....

As for me, I can't wait for this!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Absolute Fan

this movie looks really good! I love his movies
Old 05-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
lol. I'm not a big fan of his movies either. Most were overrated, in my opinion. I'm tuning in for Bryce Dallas Howard and Paul Giamatti. I think M. Night Shyamalan is actually trying with this movie. I've heard that there won't be any unusually big twist at the end this time. He might have some originality in him after all.

Cassiel: If you'd known this was going to happen, would you have done it?
Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. ONE.
- City of Angels

Last edited by Clewless; 05-29-2006 at 03:35 PM
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Absolute Fan

really I think his best movie was the 6th sense he hasn't had a really wow movie past that. I enjoyed signs and the village though!
Old 05-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've like all the movies I've seen from him. I'm really looking foward to this one.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Master Fan

Wow, she looks uncannily like Mia Farrow in that shot...

Quote:
Hunh - why's that? And why the nickname? It's funny, but your response totally caught me off guard!

I like his films although I haven't seen The Village. My favorite of his will always be his first, in which he starred - it had NOTHING to do with his US genre of films and was all about an American-born Indian studying in India and trying to understand his parents' (and his) culture. It was pretty good, if a bit amateurish.

As for the spooky ones - I like them, particularly Signs, which used suspense superbly. There's too much gore and freakiness and not enough suspense these days, so he stays on my good list for now. Suspense is such a lost artform...

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Elite Fan

M. Night Shyamalan is one of my favorite Thriller Directors. His movies are great. Although the ending for The Village was WTF? He still had me squirming in my chair until the big reveal, but oh well. You win some/You lose some.

I have to say that I enjoyed the documentary The Buried Secrets of M. Night Shyamalan promoting The Village better then the movie, even though I found out later that it was a Fake Documentary, it had me going there for a while. I was like WTF? OMG are you serious? I give him props for that, cause I would probably still believe he could see ghost's and that's where The Sixth Sense came from and that he actually died and came back to life and it inspired Unbreakable and that the home he grew up in, was recreated for Signs. I will not fall for that again though
***BLONDIE*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love his films. They may not be the most original, but he puts an atmosphere to them that I rarely see in other films of today.
I know that it is 'cool' to slag him off at the moment in other movie sites, but I'd like to see all these people make one film that is a tenth as good as what Michael has done. He stories are simple and make money, and that seems to drive many I-Know-so-much-more-about-films-then-he-does armchair film-makers (ie they don't even come near to making a film) nuts.
No, he is no Hitchcock or Wells, but neither are 99.9% of of other film makers.
Sorry if I offend, I'm just getting tired of the band wagon offending of this guy.
The Village wasn't his best, but it is worth watching, and I'll be going to my local cinema to watch this film.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

The bashing of M. Night comes from his previous films being very pretentious and trying to hard to be so mind-blowing they rarely lived up to their hype. Add to that, "Signs" has the most illogical backstory that most sensible people can't just overlook -- Why would a race of aliens who are afraid of water invade a planet whose surface is 1/3rd water?! -- And this is where a lot of the anti-Shamylan sentiment comes from.

General_Maxiums often makes a lot of sarcastic comments in his/her posts, but most are tired and cliched
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

The bashing of M. Night comes from his previous films being very pretentious and trying to hard to be so mind-blowing they rarely lived up to their hype. Add to that, "Signs" has the most illogical backstory that most sensible people can't just overlook -- Why would a race of aliens who are afraid of water invade a planet whose surface is 1/3rd water?! -- And this is where a lot of the anti-Shamylan sentiment comes from.

General_Maxiums often makes a lot of sarcastic comments in his/her posts, but most are tired and cliched
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Master Fan

Okay, I'm presuming that since you posted a wink-smilie after the last comment that you're joking and not bashing another poster, so I won't edit (and also from knowing you I wouldn't expect you to directly bash another poster).

But please remember, everyone, to disagree respectfully.

As for his films - I kind of feel sorry for those who didn't enjoy them, especially Signs. How sad that we've become so jaded as to not recognize a really good story told well (and it's 2/3 of the Earth is covered in water, not 1/3 - which supports your argument even more! ).

I loved Signs, but I don't really care if others didn't - that's the beauty of having our own tastes. That being said, I would hope people would realize it was well-crafted. I mean, sure, he's no Hitchcock, but as you pointed out, no one is. Frankly, the story for The Birds is no more plausible.

*shrug* That's my opinion - and I'm okay if people don't agree with me.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Addicted Fan

I live for the sarcasm!!! I tend to see alot of movies and I tend to enjoy the majority of them. Very rarely do i come away disappointed, but twice I have come away feeling I wasted time and money when It came to his work. Signs and Sixth Sense.

I do love Robot Chickens M Night parody. In fact, I quote it almost daily. What a twist!
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread