Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Kelly News #2- We love hearing new NEWS about our Kel!

It was time for a new thread, so here it is.

Old Thread Here

Latest article about Kel! It's a good one too!
Thanks Andy for posting it!

Quote:
When Did Kelly Clarkson Become So Hip?
08.23.2005 9:13 PM EDT

Everyone from Yellowcard to Steve Carell sings her praises.
Kelly Clarkson

Over the past few months, former Evanescence guitarist Ben Moody has found himself taking less and less flak from rock fans for producing part of Kelly Clarkson's album Breakaway.

"Now it's cool to like Kelly Clarkson, so I'm in the clear," Moody said. "She's kind of popular now."

Clarkson, of course, has been popular in pop circles since winning "American Idol" four years ago. What Moody means is it's slowly become de rigueur for artists and music fans outside of that world to cheer on Clarkson, who is nominated for three MTV Video Music Awards this year (see "Green Day, Gwen, Missy Nab Most Nominations For MTV Video Music Awards") and will also perform at the show.

In an informal survey of rockers and other hipsters, nearly all of the artists polled copped to liking at least something about the Burleson, Texas, singer. (Sorry Kelly, System of a Down still have no idea who you are.)

So how did the 23-year-old former Red Bull girl transform herself from the next Jessica Simpson into a genuinely cool rock-and-roll singer?

"Here's the thing about Kelly Clarkson," Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump said. "At the end of the day, she's an amazing singer, and you can't fault her for that."

Clarkson can certainly blow, as Randy Jackson would say, but so can, say, Simpson. The difference is Clarkson's seen more as the girl next door, and as someone without a manufactured sound or image.

"I think Kelly Clarkson is good because she's real," Simple Plan singer Pierre Bouvier said. "You see her live and you're like, 'All right!' Even if you don't like her style, there's nothing about her that's bad, because she's sweet and she's talented. What else do you want?"

"She's the real deal, so it's not as lame as some other people," Yellowcard singer Ryan Key added. "I hope at some point people will realize what's real and what's not real, and who's an artist and who's not, and who doesn't deserve to be."

From the beginning, Clarkson has always come off in interviews as a sweet Southerner incapable of the diva attitude associated with many of her peers.

"I met her briefly and she seems to have a really great spirit and I think that's the beginning," singer Ciara said. "Your personality is very important, your spirit is very important and she already has that."

"There are so many people out here in the industry that pretend to be something else and she's really one of those that's really, really true from the heart," added R&B crooner Frankie J.

Still, something happened between the release of Clarkson's debut album and now, something that forced other artists to give her a chance. Something called "Since U Been Gone," a tune with the kind of legs that pop music hasn't seen in years.

"It's incredible," Yellowcard's Key said. "It gets in your head and won't leave."

"You have to listen to that song at 11, that's just the way it is," added Switchfoot singer Jon Foreman, who recently caught himself pulling up to the beach with "Since U Been Gone" blaring from his car radio.

Indie rocker Ted Leo saw the video one morning earlier this year and decided to play an acoustic cover of it for a videotaped Web session a few hours later.

"I was like, 'Wow, that's a shockingly good song for a pop star,' " Leo said. "It's just one great hook after another. I also really appreciate the more advanced pop pastiche aspects of it. It's written in a way that is so transparent in terms of drawing from a lot of what's vaguely edgy and popular right now, but put together in such a perfect little package. It's undeniable."

Even though Leo only played it a few more times, bootlegs of his performances circulated around the Internet within a few weeks and it became his calling card, which he's not exactly thrilled about.

"I appreciate that people get a kick out of it, but it's not in the set [anymore]," he said. "A lot of people have asked me about adding some cachet to Kelly Clarkson, as if I'm trying to tell people that she should be considered more than she is, but honestly, I was poking more fun at myself and my own weakness for a good hook. Not that I have anything against her. In that world, she got where she is because she can sing. She's not some heiress with a Chihuahua."

Fittingly, the humble Clarkson never expected "Since U Been Gone" to earn her such a widespread fanbase.

"It's ridiculous how well that song was received by hard rockers, by indie people," she said. "They will say stuff about it and I'm just floored. I was walking around with a friend of mine and this hard-rock guy came up to me and was like, 'I look stupid, but I tell my friends I love this song.' People at concerts are like, 'That's my guilty pleasure. I don't mean to be mean, but I didn't want to like the "American Idol" girl.' But they love that song, and it kind of won them over."

What's also winning rockers over is the video for Clarkson's follow-up single, "Behind These Hazel Eyes," in which she sabotages her own wedding.

"She is so unbelievably gorgeous in that video that is all over TV right now," Yellowcard's Key said. "The wet wedding dress and the wet hair and ... come on, man! Who knew? She is so hot. She looks so good in it."

Simple Plan's Chuck Comeau agrees. "I want to date you," he said. "You think it's just a joke, but it's not a joke."

And rockers are apparently not the only ones obsessing over Clarkson. One of Hollywood's hottest comedic actors is so smitten with her that he yelled out her name while ad-libbing a memorable scene in his latest movie.

"I don't know her very well, I mean, we dated a couple of times," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" himself, Steve Carell, said, tongue firmly in cheek. "She smells like strawberry shortcake, I know that. Her eyes are like limpid pools and she has the voice of an angel."

Catch all the sizzlin', star-packed VMA action direct from Miami on August 28. MTV News' pre-show kicks things off at 6 p.m. ET/PT, followed by the big show at 8 p.m.

Vote for the Viewer's Choice Award, see a timeline of MTV Video Music Awards history and more at our VMA Web site.

Check out red carpet highlights, backstage reports and all our VMA news in the VMA news archive.

— Corey Moss

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/15...?headlines=true
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for the new thread! Definitely LOVE Kelly news.

I'll never tire of this article I think. Sooooo good.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

I absolutely love that article. Everyone loves Kelly. It's fabulous.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Master Fan

Not many so called "Pop" singers can switch over to more of a rock genre, and actually have members from rocks bands not only approve of them, but jam to their hit song in their car

The article is one of the best.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

That was such a great article! I loved reading other celeb's praises!

Quote:
In that world, she got where she is because she can sing. She's not some heiress with a Chihuahua.
Quote:
Simple Plan's Chuck Comeau agrees. "I want to date you," he said. "You think it's just a joke, but it's not a joke."
Quote:
And rockers are apparently not the only ones obsessing over Clarkson. One of Hollywood's hottest comedic actors is so smitten with her that he yelled out her name while ad-libbing a memorable scene in his latest movie.

"I don't know her very well, I mean, we dated a couple of times," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" himself, Steve Carell, said, tongue firmly in cheek. "She smells like strawberry shortcake, I know that. Her eyes are like limpid pools and she has the voice of an angel."
TOO funny!

Quote:
"I was like, 'Wow, that's a shockingly good song for a pop star,' " Leo said. "It's just one great hook after another. I also really appreciate the more advanced pop pastiche aspects of it. It's written in a way that is so transparent in terms of drawing from a lot of what's vaguely edgy and popular right now, but put together in such a perfect little package. It's undeniable."
I love that quote.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Passionate Fan

What an awesome article!

Quote:

Brooke/Chase
Old 08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

For those who PMed me asking, here is the link to the interview from Kelly yesterday on the radio where she talked about having a new boyfriend.

http://www.kcemedia.com/GetFile.ashx?FileId=1799

Right click and save.

All credit to RopeBurn and Rick at the KCE (www.kcemedia.com)

Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks so much DancewithLife.

Great new thread.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

If you loved the MTV article, you can tell us what you think of it here. There are asking for comments: http://www.mtv.com/news/youtellus/to...y/082505.jhtml

there is also a very cute radio interview where Kelly talks about her girl-crush on Rachel McAdams. If someone bumps up the radio thread I'll post it there

Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Master Fan

I love Kelly Clarkson and glad to see everyone else does too!

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

she is very cute talking about her boyfriend. do we know who he is?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm SO happy for her winning. She looks amazing in that gold dress too.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Master Fan

Kelly's on the VMA's TONIGHT!

She just accepted the award for "Best Female Video" She was so adorable! I guess she wasn't expecting it, and she said she didn't have a "posse" to bring up, so she brought her friend Ashley up!

Can't wait to see what other awards she takes home!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Elite Fan

She looked so cute! And the thing about bringing a posse was adorable. Go Kelly!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Master Fan

I know! She looks amazing! The gold dress is just

I'm glad she's here to accept awards this time Unlike the TCAs, we get to see our Kel live on TV getting the recognition she deserves!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread