Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Master Fan

Official The Black Dahlia Thread - Updated News

All news and pics related to Black Dahlia you´ll find in here.

Black Dahlia, The (2005)

Directed by

Brian De Palma

Writing credits
James Ellroy (novel)
Josh Friedman (screenplay)

Plot Outline
The Black Dahlia is set in 1940s Los Angeles. Two cops, Bucky Bleichert (Josh Hartnett) and his partner, Lee Blanchard, investigate the death of Elizabeth Short, a young woman found brutally murdered. Bucky soon realizes that his girlfriend had ties to the deceased, and soon after that, he begins uncovering corruption and conspiracy within the police department.

Production Notes/Status:
Comments:
Status Updated: 23 July 2004

Cast (in credits order)
Josh Hartnett .... Bucky Bleichert
Scarlett Johansson .... Kay Lake
Mark Wahlberg .... Lee Blanchard

www.imdb.com

Last edited by ~AppleJacks~; 06-09-2005 at 03:16 PM
Old 07-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Master Fan

Old news

Quote:
More info on the Black Dalhia, (from fanhost messages board)

Disturbing story of the Black Daliah
Do not click the link if you´re sensitive it´s a bit brutal..

Quote:
'Black Dahlia' will get tinge of Scarlett

(Variety) Scarlett Johansson (news) has signed on to star in "The Black Dahlia," opposite Josh Hartnett (news) and Mark Wahlberg (news) for director Brian De Palma (news).

In the fictional account of the notorious 1947 murder, Johansson plays Kay, a doppelganger for the title character, and the object of affection for two police officers (Hartnett and Wahlberg) investigating the brutal murder of Hollywood starlet Elizabeth Short.

Pic marks a reteam between helmer De Palma and producer Art Linson after "The Untouchables."

The film, to be produced by Linson with Rudy Cohen and Moshe Diamant, was financed through a combination of foreign sales by Signature Pictures and an investment from the German film fund Apollo Media.

"Dahlia" is in process of securing a domestic distribution deal.

Adapted for the screen by Josh Friedman from James Ellroy's bestselling novel, pic will start shooting May 24 in L.A.

Johansson will star in "Dahlia" after she finishes work on the Weitz brothers' film "Synergy," which she starts shooting in March.

Johansson, repped by WMA and manager Melanie Johansson, will next be seen in Paramount's "The Perfect Score" and has also completed production on "A Love Song for Bobby Long."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._get_tinge_of_1

Quote:
The Black Dahlia

A country still recovering from World War II found the romantic notion of Hollywood irresistible. The LA studio system was the very embodiment of the American Dream. A talented person could go from being a nobody to the toast of the town in the span of a single successful movie.

Actors and actresses would arrive in droves of buses, their lone anticipation celebrity. Such behavior had a less reported downside. Only a handful of the fortunate ones achieved anything resembling their dreams. The rest were left to scramble for alternate lives.

One of those unlucky souls was Elizabeth Short. Before history came to know her as The Black Dahlia, she was an aspiring actress in search of fame. The way the woman arrived at her immortal celebrity was not the way her dreams played out. No one fantasizes about being tortured, killed and dismembered.

A massive police search was put in place to discover the perpetrator of this crime. An entire city was captivated by the morbid details of The Black Dahlia's death. The LA police force was under the microscope in solving this mystery more than they would be again for half a century. It would take a football icon driving a white Ford Bronco to recreate a similarly watched series of events for the overmanned thin blue line.

So complete was the failure of the police department that even today books are written claiming responsibility for the crime. More than one writer has professed to be the child of the killer and proceeded to describe the events surrounding the crime. The details of the murder have very much become LA's answer to Jack the Ripper.

Legendary author James Ellroy is a product of tragedy. His mother Jean was slain when he was only ten years old. That scarring experience impacted the scribe so much that the body of his work has focused on the grim subjects of murder and police corruption. It's easy to understand why he would be drawn to the story of The Black Dahlia.

Ellroy's 1987 novel on the subject was a precursor to another book whose movie adaptation you already know, LA Confidential. As with that movie, The Black Dahlia will explore the themes of police corruption and murder hidden just beneath the bright lights of Hollywood.

In this version, two ex-boxers played by Josh Hartnett and Mark Wahlberg have recently become police officers. The duo given the ill-fated assignment will attempt to discover the identity of the killer.

Over the course of their investigation, they will encounter a dead ringer for Elizabeth Short as played by Scarlett Johansson. If this sort of body double portrayal sounds familiar to you, it should. The idea was the loose inspiration for what would eventually become Kim Basinger's Academy Award-winning character in LA Confidential. As the two become combatants for the love of this doppleganger, they simultaneously discover corruption within the police force and grow suspicious of each other's motives.

Anyone who has seen LA Confidential or the more recent Dark Blue already knows what to expect from The Black Dahlia. The themes Ellroy explores in his novels are frequently intersecting, but somehow manage to maintain uniqueness. This particular project has been rumored for almost a decade now. With A-List stars like Hartnett, Wahlberg and Johansson on board and Brian De Palma of The Untouchables directing, this has all the earmarks of an Oscar contender as well as a blockbuster.
http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tic...g.cfm?TMID=994
Old 07-26-2004, 03:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The Black Dahlia: According to James Ellroy during an interview for the French TV channel ARTE, shooting begins in June.
www.darkhorizons.com
Quote:
DAHLIA TO FILM IN ROME

According to an article at the Italian news site Ansa, Brian De Palma has been in Rome this past week visiting with Tarak Ben Ammar, the producer of Femme Fatale, as well as of the upcoming Toyer. Ben Ammar told the newspaper that De Palma's The Black Dahlia will film at the producer/financier's recently aquired Roma Studios in Rome this August. Previous reports had the film beginning a May-or-June shoot in Los Angeles, which is possibly still the case-- the Roma dates could simply be for additional interior scenes. De Palma will next be traveling to Berlin
Quote:
ELLROY TALKS BLACK DAHLIA
SAYS THEY HOPE TO BRING IT TO CANNES, 2005
James Ellroy, author of The Black Dahlia, has been popping up on French television this past week, promoting his novel Destination Morgue. As reported last week, the author appeared on ARTE, mentioning that Brian De Palma's adaptation of The Black Dahlia should begin shooting in June. On April 11, Ellroy appeared on French TV's France 5 channel, and said, "We hope to bring the film to Cannes in 2005." Some have been criticizing the casting of the project so far, fearing that Ellroy's novel is being too Hollywoodized, and getting away from its substance. But it sounds more and more like Ellroy is keeping himself involved in the project, which must be a good sign for such naysayers.
Quote:
EVA GREEN IN DAHLIA?
ALONG WITH FIONA SHAW...
It is looking as though Eva Green will be the choice to play Madeleine in Brian De Palma's upcoming The Black Dahlia. According to the website of Quality International, a company that controls international productions with an aim toward increasing European and German creative participation within international films, the cast for one of those films, The Black Dahlia, includes Josh Hartnett, Mark Wahlberg, Scarlett Johansson, Eva Green, and Fiona Shaw. Some have speculated that Shaw may be playing Madeleine's mother. Green, who has been getting much attention of late for her part in Bernardo Bertolucci's The Dreamers, has completed filming on Arsene Lupin, which was cowritten by Laurent Vachaud, co-author of the French-language Brian De Palma interview book from two years ago. That film also stars Kristin Scott Thomas. Green is currently filming Ridley Scott's Kingdom Of Heaven. Shaw, often compared to Vanessa Redgrave, can be seen in the latest installments of the Harry Potter series.
http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/
Old 07-26-2004, 03:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
DAHLIA START IN EARLY AUGUST

According to a report today at Dark Horizons, the start of production for Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia has been pushed back from late May to early August. This goes along with previous international reports stating that the film would begin shooting in Italy this August. Reports have also indicated that Tom Cruise hopes to begin production on Mission: Impossible 3 in August. Each film includes Scarlett Johansson in the cast. One wonders how this will happen, although the respective productions have probably (hopefully) already figured each other out..
Old 07-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Supreme Fan

Okay, seriously, out of all of Josh's upcoming projects, this is the one that I cannot WAIT to see!

I've always been intrigued with the case of the Black Dahlia, and when I found out that Josh was doing this movie I could barely contain my excitement. So, yeah... I can't wait for this to come out!
I never understood the expression 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free'... why the hell would you buy a cow when you've never tasted the milk? I mean, HONESTLY, what if the milk was sour? How do you even know it's a milk cow?!
Old 07-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

Bucky Bleichert... interesting name. Josh in an uniform. YAY! I can't wait to see it.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Supreme Fan

Yes, it will be nice to see Josh in a uniform

I just hope that this movie gets good press and all... I want it to do really well,
I never understood the expression 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free'... why the hell would you buy a cow when you've never tasted the milk? I mean, HONESTLY, what if the milk was sour? How do you even know it's a milk cow?!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

WAHLBERG ASSIST. SAYS DAHLIA 'ON HOLD'

DESPITE REPORT OF NEW START DATE & SCREENWRITER
On Friday, August 6, 2004, Lisa Collins filed a report at Hollywood.Com stating that The Black Dahlia's beginning shoot date will be "late summer 09/01/2004." Collins' report also indicates that Eric Bergren, the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of David Lynch's The Elephant Man, has had a hand in shaping Josh Friedman's draft of the adaptation (Friedman is listed first, then Bergren). In addition, Collins lists James Ellroy as a third screenwriter, as well as the author of the source novel. We know from recent Ellroy interviews that the author has consulted with the Black Dahlia production, so this does not seem out of the question. However, a member of Mark Wahlberg's "entourage," in replying to an inquiry on the message board at the actor's official Web site (MarkWahlberg.Com), said that "the film is on hold for now, and it will depend on our scheduling weather [sic] or not we do it."

oh i hope not it´s nothing official yet so fingers crossed
Old 08-11-2004, 02:19 AM
Supreme Fan

*crosses fingers* Oooh.... I really hope that's a rumor. Or I will cry. Hysterically, Okay, maybe I won't be that dramatic, but I'll start a petition to get it started again Never underestimate the power a 16 year old from Wyoming possess,
Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

I'll cry with you and help you with the petition.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

Updated August 10 2004 -Posted August 2 2004

I updated this today with a tidbit that I had previously overlooked from the Flaunt article. The part I had overlooked was about Hartnett's training regime for The Black Dahlia, in which he plays an ex-boxer.
FLAUNT IT WHILE YOU GOT IT
ARTICLE SAYS DAHLIA TO SHOOT 3 MONTHS IN ROME

We've been getting indications from various sources that The Black Dahlia project may be interrupted (for instance, Variety stated that the film was circling Prague as a location for filming, and in an interview a couple of weeks ago, Dante Ferretti seemed to confirm that the production was in some sort of limbo). The cover story on Josh Hartnett in the new issue of Flaunt provides a brief but clear detail about The Black Dahlia's shooting schedule which may allow us to piece some things together. According to the article, Hartnett is to spend three months in Rome working on the film. Since we know the film was to start shooting in Rome in August of 2004, it looks like they had planned on shooting until the end of October, or perhaps into the first week or two of November. In the aforementioned interview with Ferretti, the designer stated that the film would need to shoot exteriors in Los Angeles. These must have been scheduled for either before or after the Rome shoot, and must have been brief (maybe a week or two) at that, given Johansson and Wahlberg's schedules.
UPDATED SEGMENT
In any case, Hartnett has been getting ready for his role as a boxer in the film by adhering to a "strict training regime," according to the Flaunt article. Popping a few "required training vitamins" during the interview, Hartnett is supposed to be "refraining from sugar, cigarettes, and beer" in preparation for the role. Hartnett tells the magazine about how he likes to spend a lot of time preparing for his roles, because "subtext is everything," and feels bad that he did not have more personal time to delve into his role in the upcoming Wicker Park before that film began shooting. It sounds like he has already invested a lot of his time into The Black Dahlia role. As Hartnett was the first actor to sign on for the De Palma film, it sounds like it's one he is taking very seriously. The Flaunt article also states that Hartnett met Johansson through Sofia Coppola, who directed each of them in separate films.
(Thanks to 'SexyJosh' at JoshHartnett.CC for the scan and article!)

fingers crossed that the lady over at mark whalbergs office or whatever was drinking or sumthing whilst making that comment
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Master Fan

Josh playing a cop(ex-boxer!) and Scarlett Johannsen? I want now! And if he's an ex-boxer, maybe they'll have flashbacks, since he had to do training for it. Sweaty!Josh. Good that he's abstaining from beer and cigarettes. Maybe he'll quit smoking(if he hasn't already).

Quote:
Hartnett tells the magazine about how he likes to spend a lot of time preparing for his roles, because "subtext is everything"
I love this man. Not only is he dedicated, that's one of my favorite mantras too.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Master Fan

i had not thought about sweaty josh uhmmmm
Old 08-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Supreme Fan

Heh, I love how he gets all involved in his role... not only is it really cute, but it helps him to be a better actor. It reminds me of my fave actress, Nicole Kidman, because she does the same thing. Maybe Josh will follow in her footsteps and when 3 GG's in a row

Glad that he's "sustaining" from cigarettes This make me very happy, because that's the only thing I really don't like about his man, Also very happy about seeing him somewhat buff I hope they have flashback scene... Lord please let them have flashback scenes,

Bency~ Hopefully we won't need a petition But, if need it be...
Old 08-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Master Fan

JAN. START FOR WAHLBERG CAPOTE FILM

Quote:
Variety reported today that the Truman Capote biopic that Mark Wahlberg is to star in, Every Word Is True, will begin shooting January 1, 2005. The paper had previously reported a November 15 start date. This new start date frees up some time on Wahlberg's schedule that could potentially allow him to complete his part in The Black Dahlia, if things get rolling on that film by September (which is the date the production appears to be aiming for). The delay on Mission: Impossible 3, announced yesterday, would seem to allow ample breathing room for Scarlett Johansson to work on Dahlia once she completes her Venice Film Festival duties September 11 (the last day of the festival). Josh Hartnett, meanwhile, will promote his new film Wicker Park on David Letterman's Late Show Wednesday, August 25th. Wicker Park is an American remake of the French film The Apartment (1996), the latter of which was shot by cinematographer Thierry Arbogast in tribute to Brian De Palma. Arbogast went on to shoot De Palma's Femme Fatale (2002), and will shoot De Palma's Toyer later this year.

oh fingers crossed for flashback scenes