Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Elite Fan

Jon Foster/Ben Conner Appreciation Thread - "He's the hot geek!"

Jon Foster/Ben Conner Appreciation Thread

See, I've watched the pilot and... I have a thing for him. He's cute. And - this is a bonus plus - he's been on Judging Amy. A guest appearance in my favourite series sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Some Facts on Jon:
Is the younger brother of actor Ben Foster.

"Life As We Know It" (2004) TV Series .... Ben Conner
Door in the Floor, The (2004) .... Eddie O'Hare
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) .... Gas Station Cashier
... aka T3 (2003) (USA: promotional abbreviation)
... aka Terminator 3 - Rebellion der Maschinen (2003) (Germany)
Murder in Greenwich (2002) (TV) .... Michael Skakel
... aka Dominick Dunne Presents: Murder in Greenwich (2002) (TV) (USA: complete title)
"Danny" (2001) TV Series .... Henry
Life as a House (2001) .... Corey
Thirteen Days (2000) .... Kenny O'Donnell, Jr.
... aka Thirteen Days Which Shocked the World (2000) (USA)

So let's discuss everything Jon/Ben here!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Fosters keep fame in the family
By Kevin Maynard, Special for USA TODAY

It isn't every day in Hollywood that a young actor turns down a coveted role and recommends someone else. But that's what Ben Foster did.

The 23-year-old best known as Russell, Claire Fisher's angst-ridden art student ex-boyfriend on HBO's Six Feet Under, met with director Tod Williams to star in the movie The Door in the Floor opposite Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger.

"I came to the conclusion that I was going to be too old by the time they shot it," Foster says. "And I just said, 'You have to meet my brother. He's the guy.' "

Jon Foster, 20, had done bit parts in movies (Terminator 3, Life as a House) and played teen killers on TV (Michael Skakel in Murder in Greenwich; he also pushed a kid down a flight of steps on Judging Amy). But the younger Foster had done nothing to prove he could carry a movie.

"It took over a year," Jon says. "My friends who are also in the industry said they had read this killer script. I read for the director four times, and then I went up to Santa Barbara to read with Jeff. And then they had to send the tape to Kim to sign off on it. After that, I finally got it. It was a long haul."

The Door in the Floor, now playing in select cities, is adapted from the first 150 pages or so of John Irving's novel A Widow for One Year. Jon plays Eddie O'Hare, a teenager who spends a summer at the East Hampton home of his idol, renowned children's book author Ted Cole (Bridges) and his wife, Marion (Basinger). But he finds himself arranging extramarital affairs for Ted and losing his virginity to Marion.

For Jon, a challenging role

Even extensive experience couldn't have prepared Jon for the demands of this particular role, especially shooting explicit sex scenes with Basinger. "Yeah, I was wearing nothing but a piece of stocking over my crotch," he says. "It was a closed set, but still there's like nine or 10 people in the room. I mean, it's not sexy. They call 'Cut,' and someone has to powder your butt with a lot of makeup."

He adds that his leading lady made sure that he was comfortable. "Kim and I took a lot of time discussing what we wanted the viewer to feel. We didn't want to make a fuss about where my hand was. We wanted more of the feeling of wanting it real and wanting it sweet. Instead of everyone saying 'Wow! That's hot!' When you see it, it should be more like 'I've been there before.' "

Jon and Ben hail from Fairfield, Iowa, and they have brought their parents to Hollywood with them, though their folks were hardly uprooted. Steven and Gillian Foster are entrepreneurial nightclub designers whose latest project is the nationwide bowling alley/lounge chain Lucky Strike Lanes.

"Their career has always been very gypsy-like," Jon says. "So they know what it's like to have this kind of lifestyle."

The Foster lifestyle is, in a word, busy. Jon has been promoting The Door in the Floor and is gearing up to go to Vancouver to shoot Life as We Know It, a one-hour ABC series from the creator of cult hit Freaks and Geeks. The new show, which makes its debut this fall, is about three sex-crazed 16-year-olds. Jon's character is busy romancing his English Lit teacher, played by Marguerite Moreau. ("See the pattern here?" Ben jokes. Then Jon jumps in: "It's just a coincidence.")

Ben has just wrapped his second season of Six Feet Under. "I can't tell you much," he says. "But we can say I could possibly come back next season. I'm still alive." He also worked on the thriller Hostage with Bruce Willis, which is due next spring. Ben plays a sociopath who, with two cohorts, abducts a suburban family.

"He's not someone you want to hang out with," Ben says. "But the director (France's Florent Emilio Siri) took a real chance by hiring me to do a little something different with the role. He's not your average monster."

Just a couple of chummy roomies

The Fosters insist that even in such a cutthroat business, they get along just fine. Says Ben: "We're not competing for the same roles generally. The nice thing is that if Jon ever gets a role, I'm throwing a block party, you know?"

They get along so well that they share a two-bedroom apartment in Hollywood. Their third roomie is Jon's 19-year-old girlfriend of two years, Sally Martin, a New Zealand actress best known for playing a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger. "I've got my own Blue Power Ranger," Jon brags.

Asked about his own dating life, Ben is more hesitant. He briefly made tabloid headlines in 2001 for dating his Get Over It co-star Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man 2). "I'm enjoying a woman's company," he says hesitantly. "I'm stuttering and fumbling because it's new. We're talking like five days of thunderbolts, so probably by the time this article comes out, my world will be different."

Though it has been only a year of bunking together, the brothers don't battle over chores. They have their own system — even if it's less than democratic.

"I pretty much take care of Ben," Jon says. "I pay his bills, I clean, I do everything. I think the only thing he does is his own laundry, and that he takes to a fluff-and-fold."

"I moved out when I was 16," Ben says. "And I've never really lived with anybody, so I'm a little behind. But I'm definitely putting in the effort to be a better roommate."

Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Banned

Right now, I'd have to say that I'm a cross between Ben and Johnathan. I'm leaning toward Ben though. I've always been more of the geek and liked English as well. Not just because the teacher was hot. Even though she was. So, I can see things from his point a little more right now.

I had no idea that his brother was Ben Foster. I like Ben. Since Flash Forward and the movies that I have seen him in. I'm looking forward to seeing his little brother on screen. I saw Jon on Murder in Greenwich but that was a different style movie.

Last edited by Subject; 10-08-2004 at 12:40 AM
Old 10-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Addicted Fan

I saw Jon in The Door in the Floor. He's cuuuuuuuuute. And one of the reasons I'm going to watch the premiere tonight.

icon credit
Old 10-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Some information about the character Ben Conner.

Quote:
from abc.com

NAME: BEN CONNER

DO YOU HAVE A BEST FRIEND: Dino Whitman and Jonathan Fielder. We’ve been friends forever. Probably always will be too.

DO YOU HAVE A GIRL FRIEND: At the current time, I feel as though I’m a bit -- out of synch with girls my own age. Hopefully, they’ll catch up or I’ll slow down or
 who knows. It’s kind of frustrating really.

FAVORITE SUBJECT: English (the teacher is insanely hot). But, also, I really like reading. It’s like getting insight into another person’s point of view. A good writer can make you feel like you totally understand something you had no idea about before.

HOBBIES: Hanging out with the guys. Meeting girls, which isn’t that hard in and of itself. It’s getting to the next phase where I mess up. Playing guitar and reading.

FAVORITE BOOK: Catcher in the Rye. I know, I know. It’s a clichĂ© but I guess there’s a reason for clichĂ©s. I also read this Grisham book on the plane to visit my grandma. It was awesome. But I had to hide it from my parents. They think he’s “drivel.” But come on, there’s only so many New Yorker articles a kid can be forced to read.

FAVORITE MOVIE: The Graduate. Saw it on Bravo (one of the only channels my parents let me watch on cable). Dustin Hoffman seemed so lost, but then he seemed to figure everything out. Sort of. I also really liked Elf. Thematically, they are actually similar. Guys who are “out of their element” looking for love in a world that doesn’t understand them. Wow, was that pretentious? Sorry about that. Now do you see why girls have trouble relating to me?

FIRST KISS: Jennifer Susman. It was fast and on a dare. We were both twelve. It was cool. I found out later from a friend that she told someone she liked me. Of course I was too stupid to know at the time. And then, by the time I found out she was already going out with another guy. Apparently, it’s all about timing.

WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN TEN YEARS: I figure I’ll be just out of school. I know my parents are going to want me to get some kind of post grad degree. But I can see myself as maybe a writer or something. I dunno, I’d like to be one of those Hemingway type guys living life and having adventures but to be honest, I don’t know if I can pull off the machismo thing. Maybe I’ll grow into it. I hope.

MOST EMBARRASING MOMENT: Stepping in some dog crap and then dragging it on my shoe into a party at Sara Morris’ house when we were in the seventh grade. I was known as “Benjamin Crapfoot” for like a month.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for the posting the article Subject.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Banned

I'm sick and tired of people using my life and personality as characters! Most of the time I can just relate to them and believe that I would do what they did in that situation. Like Wesley from BTVS and Angel. However, with Ben it's like someone did just rip-off everything about me. When he was saying the reason that he never hooked up I was in shock. That is how I am, those are my reasons. I even go as far to write it down as well. They really hit the target with this show and this character.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm really enjoying his character on the show. Loved the epi last night where his teacher didn't bust him at the liquor store. He just seems totally in touch with his feelings.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Absolute Fan

I love the title! Very true! I really enjoy seeing a character like Ben on this show.

Thanks for the article!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

I really like Ben!! He's my fav character on the show!! Plus he's a little cutie!!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
New Fan

I love Jon/Ben he's awesome. His character is so funny! And easy to love. I hope his character grows throughout the season.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Total Fan

He is sooo awesome and I've always loved his brother Ben. (Flash Forward or I've Been Waiting For You anyone?!!? hehe)

Definitely one of my fav. characters on the show.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by starsprite
He is sooo awesome and I've always loved his brother Ben. (Flash Forward or I've Been Waiting For You anyone?!!? hehe)

Definitely one of my fav. characters on the show.
Oh his brother is the one who player Tucker James on Flash Forward? I remember that show! I used to watch it every once in awhile back in the day the episode that stands out is the one where he was saying 'Choo choo'...I think? Anyone else watch it before?

On topic, Jon's a cutie! We need some more pics for the thread! Anyone? lol.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Master Fan

Well last night episode show some interesting facts about Ben.

He is not an only child, he has a brother.
His brother might have had a drug problem.
His parents are overprotective, they give him an 8:30 pm curfew.
His parents are overdramatic, they thought he was on drugs so they tested him instead of taking his word for it.

Maybe since they lost one son to drugs is why they push Ben to achive in school and why they are always questioning what is going on in his life. So now Ben is not just living his life, but his brother life as well.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Fan

I love Ben/Jon!! He's one of the hottest geeks on TV (after Seth Cohen on The OC). I fell inlove w/ his character from day one. I always go for the nerds.
"If it’s not real you can’t hold it in your hand. You can’t feel it with your heart, and I won’t believe it."