Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Elite Fan

"Life As We Know It" vs. "My So Called Life"

So this is something for discussion. When I first read about the show, it was compared to the famous teenage series of the 90s "My So Called Life".

Do you think such comparison is fair? Or unfair? Tell me why.
Does it really remind you of MSCL? And how so? Do you think morals and teenage behaviour have changed since the 90s? Or the way things are portrayed?

Let's have some discussion!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Dedicated Fan

When I first saw the preview for the show, it made me think of MSCL. I'm not sure why, but the bases of the show seemed pretty much the same. From what I've seen of Life As We Know It, I think it being compared with MSCL is fair.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Master Fan

I've only seen a few episodes of MSCL but I think I'll need to see more episodes of LAWKI before I make the final call, but it's a girls perspective and guy's...so it's still different.

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 08-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Master Fan

I've seen every episode of MSCL multiple times but I haven't seen enough promos for LAWKI to say whether it's similar. If it's as good as MSCL, I'm going to love it.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Loyal Fan

I saw the previews for LAWKI and I can't judge it yet... but I've watched MSCL and its very addicting. I have to say I'm really looking forward seeing this new drama that suppose to like reflect on the teenage years. I guess we'll have to wait to see how much reality is acutually in this show.

i support naley and bjl always and forever.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

Personally I love MSCL so I'm pretty ticked off at people trying to compare it to a show that has not even started yet. It seems like people always want to replace something. Like their crazed about what's going to be the next big thing. That's why so many shows end up being canceled without really being given a chance, because it is expected to do as good as its predecessors.
LUCIUS: "Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. Why? What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come from my saying that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? What gain can rise of my telling you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. I fear for your safety before all others. And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night."

Last edited by Telli; 09-09-2004 at 10:09 PM
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Master Fan

I remember I really loved MSCL, and I don't mind the comparisons. MSCL was an amazing show and it was unfortunately cancelled....I most certainly hope that this show is of that same quality and has the same caliber of talent. The one thing I hope that will most certainly be different is the ratings; MSCL was a great show but got canned because of low ratings, so here's to hoping this one will be a good show all around.
Samantha #121
Old 08-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sick little jag
I remember I really loved MSCL, and I don't mind the comparisons. MSCL was an amazing show and it was unfortunately cancelled....I most certainly hope that this show is of that same quality and has the same caliber of talent. The one thing I hope that will most certainly be different is the ratings; MSCL was a great show but got canned because of low ratings, so here's to hoping this one will be a good show all around.
ITA! LAWKI looks very interesting and good. It would be great if it was as well written and acted as MSCL, but I guess we will wait and see!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Passionate Fan

The promo slightly reminded me of MSCL, but I haven't seen enough to make a choice yet. MSCL is a good show and I try to catch a rerun on the N when I can. I'm looking forward to seeing LAWKI.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

This is kinda like the whole 'One Tree Hill' Vs. 'Dawson's Creek' issue that was going on when OTH hit our screens.

MSCL Was and still is one of my favortie shows ever. From what I have seen of LAWKI there are vibes that make me think of MSCL but really I do not think it is going to be like it. For one it is told through the eyes of guys right? I think the way it is going to be told will be like MSCL but I think it will differ a lot.

I am still pissed they cancelled MSCL - That show was so great.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:27 PM
New Fan

I have seen LAWKI and the comparison is fair. LAWKI is very touching and full of teen angst and stuff... but it has more funny moments that MSCL. What I liked most about it was it told me what guys really think about - I spend my life wondering about that!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:54 PM
New Fan

Its really hard to compare the two. MSCL deals with a teenager girl's perspectives while LAWKI deals with teenage boys. There's a lot said in that i think. I'd have to see LAWKI to actually know where the characters fit in socially, but Angela on MSCL was kind of an outsider looking in- and especially being a girl, i could really relate to what she was going through, i don't think i'll have that with the LAWKI boys.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

interesting insight all. I do some similarities between the two shows for sure-in that the characters talk to the cameras.

It'll be easy to relate to the guys I think-because it's from the minds of teenage boys. At the very least I'd like to know what these guys are thinkin and get to see some fun teenage crushes, dare I say steamy scenes??
Old 10-11-2004, 04:52 AM
Master Fan

To me its like an updated version of MSCL and from a guys point of view instead of a girls.

darylbeth
Old 10-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

I used to love My So Called Life, I think people will always compare new shows to and older one. When One Tree Hill and The O.C. first came out I remember One Tree Hill being compared to Dawson's Creek and The O.C. being compared to Beverly Hills 90210. But I think once the show progresses it won't be compared to My So Called Life as much. I think in some points the shows are similar, but already I have a feeling LAWKI will become the more popular of the two.