Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 03:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) | Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) | Wonka (2023) #1

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
A fantasy adventure about eccentric chocolatier, Willy Wonka and Charlie, a good-hearted boy from a poor family who lives in the shadow of Wonka's extraordinary factory. Long isolated from his own family, Wonka launches a worldwide contest to select an heir to his candy empire. Five lucky children, including Charlie, draw "golden tickets" from Wonka chocolate bars and win a guided tour of the legendary candy-making facility that no outsider has seen in 15 years. Dazzled by one amazing sight after another, Charlie is drawn into Wonka's fantastic world in this astonishing and enduring story.

Stars Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, Helena Bonham Carter, David Kelly, Missy Pyle, Christopher Lee, Jordan Fry, Anna Sophia Robb, Julia Winter, Philip Wiegratz, Noah Taylor.

------

Ok I was shocked when I read about this remake

I think the old movie is great too

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 10-10-2021 at 03:09 PM
-Kelly- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I saw the old one before when I was a kid. I thought it was well done. So I'm hoping to see this remake one too....especially since it stars Johnny Depp.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Master Fan

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka intresting. I wonder who'll be playing the Umpa Luompas
da #299
Jen Jaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

Why on earth did they feel the need to remake this?

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Why? Because Tim Burton is making it, and he'll suposedly be able to make it all dark, just they way Rahld Dahl wrote.
FinleyN1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Dedicated Fan

But do you think it will be good as a dark movie i think the light heartedness of it now is what we all remember!! i do wanna see it cause i love the movie but too many people are gonna be like nah the first was better! I like my old movies.
tinka28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Obsessed Fan

I was excited when I heard about the remake. But, what do you mean by he might make the movie dark? Do you mean as in turn it into a horror movie? If that's the case then I don't want to see the re-make. I loved the original(1971), it's one of my all-time favorite movies along with Secret Garden etc. When will this new re-make it theaters?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by FinleyN1derland
Why? Because Tim Burton is making it, and he'll suposedly be able to make it all dark, just they way Rahld Dahl wrote.
Yes, but the original film IS dark - it's incredibly creepy and intense (just because people think it's a dark romp doesn't mean that it is or that it was meant to be when it came out - kids, including me, were freaked out by a lot of it - which was part of the intention).

And while I like both Johnny Depp and Tim Burton (although I don't care for ALL of Tim Burton's movies), I just think that the original is too well known to not make the obvious comparison.

*shrug* But I guess nothing is sacred in Hollywood, and there really aren't any original thinkers there.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Loyal Fan

I love the original Wonka and I love Johnny Depp. Tim Burton is ok I guess. Regardless - not looking forward to the remake. I really feel that Gene Wilder IS Wonka and any remake will just be too easy to compare with his performance. "Strike that. Reverse it"

I have to agree with Shrrshrr - the original is not exactly light hearted by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't see a need to remake this one at all - the original is a classic. Yes, Burton could make it darker but that doesn't mean it would be better. Very doubtful it would be close in terms of quality. Of course, I am biased against remakes as it is.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I really love Wonka & The Choc Factory. I'm hoping this movie is just as good. I have faith in Burton & Depp. I can't wait to see pics.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Damn you, Johnny Depp! I never wanted anyone to make me think of Willy Wonka as attractive! *shakes angry fist*

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by tinka28
But do you think it will be good as a dark movie i think the light heartedness of it now is what we all remember!! i do wanna see it cause i love the movie but too many people are gonna be like nah the first was better! I like my old movies.

I am curious to see if it will be any good, but I am not really thinking that I will enjoy it.

claudia
Old 09-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've never seen the original movie. I've tried to many times throughout the years, but always lose interest and fall asleep.

I can't wait to see this one, though!

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli
Damn you, Johnny Depp! I never wanted anyone to make me think of Willy Wonka as attractive! *shakes angry fist*
I am laughing hysterically right now!

SASHA ... I suppose I can understand your boredom with the beginning. I guess Try skipping to when they get to the factory. Then go back and watch the other parts later if you decide you like it.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Addicted Fan

I was really hoping they were not going to remake this movie, its a classic. And classic movies are not made to be remade. I dont care who is in it. I do think Tim Burton is a good director but how would he feel if some one remade one of his movies.
natalie4237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread