Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Loyal Fan

80's Hair Bands - Leather, Head Scarves & Cheesy Lyrics

Come on, you know you loved 'em. Poison. Slaughter. Motley Crue. Warrant. Winger (Oooh, Kip. *droooool*). What's your favorite?

Tag along on Felicity and Ben's Road Trip!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

Ohhh, there are just so many I love!

Poison, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Europe... The list goes on and on.

And, let's face it, apart from making great rock'n'roll they did the best ballads around.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:46 AM
Total Fan

I totally agree! You could always rely on the hair bands for a good ol' ballad.

I even have an 80's compilation CD that's all hair band, baby!
Old 10-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Master Fan

I taped two or three (can't recall) ballad compilations of a friend's albums. Of course I wore them out, and I've forgotten the titles of the compilations so I can't search for them.

I think I'm getting old.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Oh. I quite like 80s Hair Bands. My friend bought me a Motley Crue t-shirt for my birthday.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Master Fan

What's everyone's top ten favourite hair band songs? If it's too difficult narrowing them down, perhaps a separate list of the favourite ballads is in order.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Loyal Fan

80's Power Ballads

Ooh, good question. There are so many, but off the top of my head here are some that I can always be relied upon to sing along with when I hear them, in no particular order.

1. Def Leppard - Love Bites
2. Bon Jovi - Silent Night
3. Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)
4. Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home
5. Guns N' Roses - Patience
6. Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
7. Winger - Miles Away
8. Warrant - Heaven
9. Aerosmith - Angel
10. Whitesnake - Is This Love

(Can this list be longer than just 10? Sheesh, I didn't realize what a junkie I am!)

Old 10-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Total Fan

Totally agree about:
Warrant - Heaven
Def Leppard - Love Bites
Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Whitesnake - Is this Love?

Remember these ones?
Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Europe - When I See You Smile
White Lion - When the Children Cry
Firehouse - When I Look into Your Eyes
Alias - More than Words Can Say
Europe - Carrie
Old 10-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Vinyl & Cassettes

OMG, "Carrie!" The "Final Countdown" album was the first record I ever got. I begged my mother for it. I still have it...and it's vinyl!!!! My mother looked at it, with the long-haired guys, and gave me a look like "What do you want THAT for?"

I have a lot on vinyl, still. I have a Bon Jovi New Jersey picture disc, a Poison picture disc, some Foreigner stuff, and the Purple Rain soundtrack, as well as an import GN'R and Edie Brickell to name some. I'm weird. The last vinyl I ever bought was Warrant's DRFSR album. I just liked the cover art so much I couldn't get the tape on that one. The clerk gave me a really weird look, because this is when vinyl was dying out in favor of cassettes. I still like vinyl...there's something nostalgic about the crackly noise/feedback.

The first cassette I ever got was "Tears for Fears: Songs From The Big Chair." Not exactly a hair band. I was so proud of my complete Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, and Cinderella collections of tapes though!

Did you guys get the censored or uncensored version of Warrant's tape with "Ode To Tipper Gore" on it? That was the first album I can recall that ever came out with a censored advisory sticker on it. Remember what a stink that made?

Old 10-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Master Fan

When I See You Smile wasn't a Europe song. I recall the song, but I'm not entirely sure who made it. I would say Bad English but I will have to search for confirmation.

I was and still am a huge fan of Europe. I have all their albums (apart from the collection which I have on CD) on vinyl. Did you guys know they have a new album out? It was released in late September and is called Start From the Dark. Original line up with John Norum ( ) playing guitars. I still haven't bought it because of lack of money. I certainly will though!

More Than Words - is it the song that goes 'saying I love you...'? If it is, then I know the song.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Maxi*
More Than Words - is it the song that goes 'saying I love you...'? If it is, then I know the song.
That's the one.
I guess I really can't say much here, since my first record was the soundtrack to the Chipmunks movie, and they're more of a hairy band than a hair band. It's fun to watch this thread, though... I guess I like seeing where "all those songs", the ones you remember the words and titles to but never the artists, come from.
Lucas Wolenczak: (angrily) Because intimacy, and I don't mean sex, is important to me too. But adults always put their needs in terms that make mine seem unimportant... Wait in line Lucas, stand over there Lucas, take a number Lucas. We'll get to you.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Re: 80's Power Ballads

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleon
1. Def Leppard - Love Bites
2. Bon Jovi - Silent Night
3. Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)
4. Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home
5. Guns N' Roses - Patience
6. Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn
7. Winger - Miles Away
8. Warrant - Heaven
9. Aerosmith - Angel
10. Whitesnake - Is This Love
I basically agree with all the bands, all of them has made some great songs and several are still among my favourite bands (Bon Jovi, G'n'R, Aerosmith, Whitesnake...)

I'm not always agreeing on particular songs though - I love Silent Night but I would probably pick another one for a top ten list. Same goes for the song by Aerosmith, I think Janie's Got a Gun would be my pick since it is one of my top three favourites of their songs ever.

The Cinderella song is awesome! I have their first two albums on vinyl.

Speaking of vinyl since it's a thing discussed here, I still have all the albums/singles I ever bought saved. One of the singles I have that I'm really proud of is the Rock the Night single by Europe. And it isn't the version released abroad to promote the album and follow up the title track (The Final Countdown). This particular version was released in Sweden (maybe Japan too, not sure) months before they went into the studio to record The Final Countdown album. The version of Rock the Night is way better than the version on the album, it's a bit rockier. Plus, it's got a nice new version of Seven Doors Hotel too. Yes, I'm bragging.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturniia
That's the one.
Thanks! I absolutely love the song. I think it's basically the only Extreme song I can remember on top of my head, since I never bought any of their albums. It's a lovely song.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Master Fan

I saw this being discussed elsewhere on FF, and I just hope people will find their way here too
Old 02-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Total Fan

I snagged the Guns n Roses greatest hits this weekend. Good stuff.

Did I mention that one of the awesomest concerts I've ever attended was Guns n Roses opening for Aerosmith back in 1988?
on a Miracle Drug
Closed Thread   Post New Thread