Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Beauty and the Beast Appreciation - Be Our Guest

This is another one of my favorite Disney movies. Anyone else?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:17 AM
Master Fan

Not only my favorite disney movie, but one of my favorites of all films, we need avatars baby....
Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love it too, it's such a magical movie!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by 86amanda86
Not only my favorite disney movie, but one of my favorites of all films, we need avatars baby....
There are a couple on this page of the Avatars thread.

This movie probably has the most beautiful story IMO. Everything was just perfect.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Didnt know exactly where to put this I guess this is as good of a place as any

'Law & Order' Star Jerry Orbach Dies
Dec 29, 11:13 AM EST

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Actor Jerry Orbach, who played a sardonic, seen-it-all cop on TV's "Law & Order" and scored on Broadway as a song-and-dance man, has died of prostate cancer at 69, a representative of the show said Wednesday.

Orbach died Tuesday night in Manhattan after several weeks of treatment, Audrey Davis of the public relations agency Lippin Group said.

When his illness was diagnosed, he had begun production on NBC's upcoming spinoff "Law & Order: Trial By Jury," after 12 seasons playing Detective Lennie Briscoe in the original series

His return to the new show had been expected early next year.

On Broadway, Orbach starred in hit musicals including "Carnival," "Promises, Promises" (for which he won a Tony Award), "Chicago" and "42nd Street."

Earlier, he was in the original cast of the off-off-Broadway hit "The Fantasticks," playing the narrator. The show went on to run for more than 40 years.

Lights on Broadway marquees were expected to be dimmed for one minute at curtain time Wednesday night in Orbach's memory.

Among his film appearances were roles in "Dirty Dancing," "Prince of the City" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors." In the animated feature "Beauty and the Beast," he voiced the role of the candlestick, and got to sing a key song, "Be Our Guest."

Orbach is expected to appear in early episodes of "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," for which he continued as Briscoe in a secondary role, when the show premieres later this season, Davis said.

"I'm immensely saddened by the passing of not only a friend and colleague, but a legendary figure of 20th century show business," said Dick Wolf, creator and executive producer of the "Law & Order" series, in a statement. "He was one of the most honored performers of his generation. His loss is irreplaceable."

With his hang-dog face and loose-limbed gait, Orbach was adept at playing the street-smart tough guy, but could also hoof and carry a tune. And not only was he a beloved star, he also personified New York's well-worn but implacable edge. A lifelong New Yorker, he inhabited and embodied the Big Apple like few other actors.

Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani called Orbach "a friend to all New Yorkers" and "a devoted ambassador of the city."

Born in the Bronx in 1935, Orbach was the son of a vaudeville-performer father and a radio-singer mother. He started his acting career in school plays, then attended Northwestern University's prestigious drama school, though he couldn't swing the money to finish. In 1955, he returned to New York to hit the stage.

In a 2000 interview with the Associated Press, Orbach remembered those days fondly. Money was tight, even with his early successes: In 1960 he was earning just $45 a week in "The Fantasticks," but "even married, with a son, we lived all right."

He then began an association with producer David Merrick, appearing in three of Merrick's biggest musical successes, starting in 1961 with "Carnival!", in which he played an embittered puppeteer opposite Anna Maria Alberghetti's winsome Lili.

Orbach won a Tony for his performance in Merrick's "Promises, Promises," the Neil Simon-Burt Bacharach-Hal David musical based on the film "The Apartment." In the show, Orbach played Chuck Baxter, the role originated in the movie by Jack Lemmon.

Yet his biggest hit for Merrick was "42nd Street," which opened on Broadway in 1980 and ran for more than 3,400 performances. In the show, which is based on the classic Warner Bros. backstage movie musical, Orbach played hard-boiled producer Julian Marsh, who brings the young hoofer out of the chorus to replace the show's ailing star.

Orbach also was in the original production of "Chicago" in 1975, which also starred Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera. He played Billy Flynn, the role Richard Gere inherited in the 2002 film.

"It was gift to work with him," recalled actress Brenda Smiley, who co-starred with Orbach in the Off-Broadway stage hit "Scuba Duba," a dark comedy by Bruce Jay Friedman, in 1967-68. "He was a master at that kind of performing and he made it so easy for everyone else."

From early, obscure films like "Cop Hater" and "Mad Dog Coll," Orbach rose to appearances in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors" and the 1981 crime drama "Prince of the City," in a cop role that presaged his "Law & Order" character.

In 1987-88, he starred in the series "The Law and Harry McGraw," a spinoff featuring a character he created in "Murder, She Wrote." It flopped, but five years later he struck gold, following Paul Sorvino as a detective in Manhattan's 27th Precinct.

In a 2000 Associated Press interview, Orbach said "Law & Order" brought him "wonderful security" rare in the life of an actor.

"All my life, since I was 16, I've been wondering where that next job was gonna come from," he explained. "Now I take the summer off, relax, and I know that at the end of July we're gonna start another season."

He said he didn't know "where I stop and Lennie starts, really. ... I know he's tougher than me and he carries a gun. And I'm not an alcoholic."

"I know I wouldn't want to be him," Orbach summed up. "I guess THAT'S where I stop and he starts."

Orbach is survived by his second wife, Elaine, whom he met doing "Chicago" and married in 1979, and grown sons Chris and Tony from his first marriage.

Its a really sad thing and I loved this actor :sad:
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just saw that on the news too; he was a very talented actor and its really sad cause he got diagonosed just at the beginning of this month too.

I absolutly Love Beauty and The Beast.. Gaston is so funny but i always cry at the bit where he shoots the beast even though i know the ending hehe.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Extreme Fan

This is one of my favorite Disney movies ever. When I was little - about 5? - and I first got the tape I would watch it over and over again in the same day. I don't remember what had me so hooked, or maybe it was just a movie that I really wanted to see. I loved everything and when I was a little older I could totally relate to Belle because she loved to read and believed in fairy tales and wanted to lead a different life. Also, I totally loved her dresses, especially the yellow one (a classic ) and a pink one she wears when she's outside in the snow with the Beast. And who didn't love their relationship? They were adorable, and both hot when the Beast turned into a Prince.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Absolute Fan

Awww Beauty and the Beast was the first movie I ever got obsessed with and I mean obsessed It brings back so many good memories. It's definitely one of my favorite Disney movies besides Aladdin

I remember watching my tape over and over again...singing the songs I swear I knew the whole movie by heart, and I still can do lines from it too I bugged everyone in my family to get everything Beauty and the Beast for me. Now these days whenever Beauty and the Beast is brought up my family always talk about my obsession with the movie

Last edited by KaLiPinAy23; 02-06-2005 at 07:49 PM
Old 02-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiPinAy23
I remember watching my tape over and over again...singing the songs I swear I knew the whole movie by heart, and I still can do lines from it too I bugged everyone in my family to get everything Beauty and the Beast for me. Now these days whenever Beauty and the Beast is brought up my family always talk about my obsession with the movie

Aww cute! I love the songs in that movie, they're some of my favourite disney ones.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ellie-
Aww cute! I love the songs in that movie, they're some of my favourite disney ones.
Thanks, that was me at 5 or 6...singing my heart out It's a classic movie, it's such a shame that I don't see masterpieces like this one these days...
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie. I love the songs and all the characters. I think i'm the only 18 year old with a Bell shrine on her bookshelf
Melis

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Old 02-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedisakora
I think i'm the only 18 year old with a Bell shrine on her bookshelf
Really?.. That's so cute!!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

Yep and the bookshelf is even losing room. I always get japed at about it from my colder cousins, but i like to think that Bell is an inspiration to any girl. She was smart, nice but could stand her own, and she could look past looks
So i to think when i see it before i leave to go somewhere, that i remember Bell's traits.
Melis

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

This is absolutely one of my favorite Dsiney movies ever! I just love the whole story plot. How Belle falls in love with the Beast because of what's on the inside instead of the outside.

"Love isn't about luck, it's about being with the right person.

"In my mind, everything we did was right. Open your eyes, I'll still be by your side."
Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Hey all, please read the announcement regarding the fate of this board.