Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Elite Fan

Echo & The Bunnymen Discussion Thread

Of all the bands from the late '70s and 80s, this one has really flown under the radar. To me, this is one of the supergroups of that era and are still playing somewhere. You may have known some of the following songs:

Villiers Terrace
Seven Seas
Lips Like Sugar
The Killing Moon
Bedbugs and Ballyhoo
Do It Clean
The Cutter
Gods Will Be Gods
I Want To Be There (When You Come)

...and many more.

Btw, according to their official site, they will record another album. Work will start by the end of the month.

Official site: http://www.bunnymen.com
E&TBM page at VH-1: http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/echo_a...n/artist.jhtml

What's your favorite Bunnymen song (if you know of one)?

Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Total Fan

Oh my, I haven't thought about Echo and the Bunnymen in a long time! I agree, definitely a great band of the 80's. I remember my brother really liked them. I wonder if we still have albums around the old house.

As for favorite song, I remember Lips Like Sugar. I think it's the title I recall the most.

Edit: Thanks for the link to their website! Great to see those video/media clips!

on a Miracle Drug
LadyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the response.

I've always wondered what the lyrics to Villiers Terrace meant. First thought that came to my mind was it's about a reference to drugs (the "mixin' up a-medicine" "rolling around on the carpet"). The horror-movie motif would be a red herring. Back in those days, they couldn't be explicit about those things, so they used language to say it another way.

Or it could be a reference to a slum in the city of Liverpool. That it's so run down that it looks like a set in a horror movie. "Bopsie wopsie shake your money"... That could be a reference to people paying rent and getting the proverbial middle finger from the slumlord.

Interestingly, this is this guy's explanation for the lyrics: http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=1387

I haven't been to Liverpool so I don't know if there is a Villiers Terrace in Liverpool.

Oh, and my favorite from them is Seven Seas. I just like the pretentiousness through the whole song.

The Killing Moon is another good song. Very well done.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Master Fan

So, they'll be making a new album huh? That's good news.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Elite Fan

I'm listening right now to Porcupine (Alternative Version), a much better version than the one originally on the album of the same name, IMO. Simply amazing and that song's more than twenty years old!

Old 05-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow I havent heard this band in awhile, its awesome about their new album. Its cool to see bands from the 80s coming back now to continue with their music.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainstorm Jenny (View Post)
Wow I havent heard this band in awhile, its awesome about their new album. Its cool to see bands from the 80s coming back now to continue with their music.
Ah yes, Siberia, definitely among their finest though there isn't much I dislike about EATB!

Though - the two versions of Porcupine?... I know the band for ages (OK, a year, I'm beginning to sound full of myself), and I haven't noticed a great difference between the two.

But regarding versions, I think I might prefer the earlier Pictures On My Wall/Read It In Books to the Crocodiles versions of both songs. And I think I'm in a minority for liking Villiers Terrace on Crocodiles - Les sings the 'Bee-n down t-o, vi-lli-ers te-rrace...' in the background, and I've read some fans prefer it without the backing vocals. I'm in a minority for liking Bedbugs and Ballyhoo with Ray Manzarek on keyboards.

PS - no, there isn't a Villiers Terrace in Liverpool.
Richian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Only know one song.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

OMG I love this thread! Super big fan of Echo & The Bunnymen. Been listening to a lot of them, The Smiths and Depeche Mode lately. Of course, always The Cure.
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

You are a fan!

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Barrybgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Of good music, yes! The Cure and Depeche Mode are almost always playing in my house
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread