Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Master Fan

News thread

http://www.fanforum.com/showthread.php?t=7621

Ok same rules apply, always state the source and post everything remotely josh related

SWANK BEAMS:
"I GET TO PLAY A FEMME FATALE"
The Hollywood Reporter today ran filmmakers' reactions to their Oscar nominations. Hilary Swank, who was nominated today for Best Actress for her role in Million Dollar Baby, said she woke up with "a bit of a jolt," but said she was just happy to be a working actor. The Reporter mentions that her next project will be Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. "After playing two unvarnished characters who take a fair amount of onscreen licks," states the article, "Swank's enthusiasm for her next role beams straight through the phone: 'I get to play a femme fatale.'"

http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Master Fan

Magazine Ranks Top MN Celebrities

Full list

The folks at Mpls. St. Paul Magazine are known for their lists, and their tongue-in-cheek ranking of Minnesota's top celebrities hits newsstands Monday.

The magazine rated 207 locals in the limelight -- everyone from Wally Szczerbiak to Wally the Beerman.

Actor Josh Hartnett and multi-hyphenate performer Prince are tied at the top spot. Other folks in the top 20 include sports stars Randy Moss and Kevin Garnett, actresses Jessica Biel and Jessica Lange, '70s sex symbols Cheryl Tiegs and Loni Anderson and former Governor Jesse Ventura.

The method behind the editors' rating system is as interesting as the list itself.

For example, swinging a table at an "in" spot like Bellanotte sent celebs' stock skyrocketing. The magazine's Adam Platt said they handed over their list of candidates to the restaurant's bigwigs, who put a checkmark next to anyone they'd seat without a reservation on a full night.

How about the glam factor? If you made the comp list for Glamorama, the annual fashion show at Marshall Field's, your star power instantly increased.

Celebrities were also judged on their "Q Rating" -- how recognizable they are.

"You got three chances," Platt said. "The more (people) that recognized you, the more points you got."

If you're a close, personal friend of Sid Hartman's, however, your chances were not so good.

"If you're not a friend of Sid's, you get 10 points," Platt said.

Got a book, a show or a movie? That, too, is worth 10 points.

"As we said in the magazine, 'To be money, a celebrity has to make some,'" Platt explained.

Other celebrity criteria included an individual's national stature, if he or she had merchandise for sale on eBay, if the person graced a magazine in the past year, or better still, if someone made a mag's "hot list."

Platt said no one got a perfect score.

The top-rated celebrity with a truly local profile is one of WCCO-TV's own: anchor Amelia Santaniello.

"Amelia is the highest-ranking person on the survey who is not on the national scene," Platt said.

WCCO-TV anchor Don Shelby made the list as well, but it didn't help that he's an F.O.S.: a "Friend of Sid's".

"Not enough mentions in 'CJ' is the other problem," Platt said. "He needs to work on that."

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_023234134.html
Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting the new thread! You are quite on top of the news aren't you?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

Yep i´m quite the reporter

Back to his beginnings
Former Montrealer Christopher Eberts, one of the busiest indie producers in Hollywood, returns to his home town for Lucky Number Slevin- with Morgan Freeman and Sir Ben Kingsley in tow

BRENDAN KELLY
The Gazette

February 7, 2005

The last time Christopher Eberts talked to this newspaper, the former Montrealer had one hit film, The Watcher, under his belt as a producer. Just over four years later, he is one of the busier independent producers in Hollywood and stars like Sir Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman return his phone calls.

Kingsley and Freeman were both recently in Montreal working on Eberts's latest production, the oddly titled gangster flick Lucky Number Slevin. In a recent interview in the library of the tony St. James Hotel in Old Montreal, Eberts was still marveling at his luck to be the producer of the first film to feature both Kingsley and Freeman. Lucky Number Slevin also stars Josh Hartnett, Bruce Willis, Lucy Liu and Stanley Tucci.

Kingsley, who won a best actor Oscar for Gandhi in 1983, and Freeman, who was just nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar for his brilliant performance in Million Dollar Baby, share screen time for the first time in Lucky Number Slevin. Kingsley plays the Rabbi, the head of the Jewish mafia in New York, and Freeman plays his arch-rival the Boss, the head of the black mafia in the Big Apple. In a scene shot a couple of weeks ago in Montreal, Kingsley and Freeman have a sequence together where they're both taped to chairs beside each other.

The film, which Eberts says has a Pulp Fiction-like feel to it, is an offbeat story about two rival crime gangs and Slevin, played by Hartnett, is the innocent guy who gets caught in the crossfire. It is directed by Scottish filmmaker Paul McGuigan, who was here last year shooting another Hartnett vehicle, Wicker Park.

Eberts is thrilled with the cast the filmmakers were able to assemble for Lucky Number Slevin, though all of his recent productions have been star-studded affairs.

Lucky Number Slevin, which has a budget of $33 million U.S., is the fourth film produced in the past 12 months by Ascendant Pictures, the Los Angeles-based company run by Eberts and his partner, Chris Roberts. The other films include The Big White, starring Robin Williams, Holly Hunter and Woody Harrelson; Ask the Dust, written and directed by Chinatown scribe Robert Towne and starring Colin Farrell; and the $60 million-U.S. Lord of War, with Nicolas Cage and Ethan Hawke.

Eberts is born and bred here, so you might think he would have sentimental reasons for shooting in Montreal. But when asked why he chose to make Lucky Number Slevin in his former home town, Eberts candidly says, "We came here primarily for the labour rebate and the exchange rate." In fact, the producers got mighty scared last year with the Canadian dollar's surprising rise.

"It was at a point where it was looking cheaper to shoot in New York," Eberts said.

Eberts and his fellow producers got some equally surprising good news when, late in the year, the Quebec government increased the tax credit for foreign producers from 11 to 20 per cent of labour costs on film and TV productions. That saved the producers of Lucky Number Slevin roughly $250,000 U.S.

This year looks to be just as busy for Eberts. The next shoot will be Taming Ben Taylor with Kevin Costner, and there are also plans to remake the classic 1939 comedy The Women, with talk of Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Sandra Bullock and Ashley Judd starring.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montr...1-0461a8b9821e
Old 02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Master Fan

Joshing with Josh

Effortlessly glamorous Angie Wicka admits that she was "looking nasty" when she noticed a movie star near her driveway.

"... nasty and all country with a bandana on my head," said the owner of Casabella Designs. "There he was with his fine [physique] and nobody to see me talking to Josh Hartnett! I was like, 'What, no cars driving by? Nobody dropping over to see me?!'

"I'm out here TALKING TO JOSH HARNETT!"

Wicka was not so star struck or preoccupied with being observed that she forgot the most important mission in her life: raising research money to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

Nash, 5, firstborn of Angie and her husband, Tom Wicka, had his ailment diagnosed in 2002.

"I said to Josh, 'Listen, I'm right in the middle of writing you a letter. I'm with the 'Bash for Nash'..." Hartnett didn't stand a chance once she went into her rapid-fire presentation on behalf of "Bash for Nash 2" on Saturday at Le Meridien. In her grand scheme, Hartnett was to introduce the star of the gala, "Last Comic Standing" host Jay Mohr.

Hartnett said he couldn't, though, because he would be filming a movie elsewhere in February. However, he offered to provide an auction item.

"Then he came into my house," she said. "Met Nash and [2-year-old daughter] Coco. Could not have been sweeter. Don't forget to write that. And kind. He said, I want you to call my dad because he handles everything."

Tom Wicka was sick, but he rolled out of bed to meet Hartnett. Later, Tom tried to get a fix on how hot Angie found Josh, so he said something like, Good-looking guy, huh?

"Oh, he's OK," said Angie, playing it a lot cooler than she did in the driveway.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5232366.html
Old 02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Master Fan

lucky sleving filming pics are in the official thread
Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Master Fan

FERRETTI CONSTRUCTS 'LIES' FOR DAHLIA

Dante Ferretti has been hard at work in Sofia, Bulgaria these recent weeks constructing sets for Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia, which will begin shooting in April. Bulgarian newspaper 24 Hours published an interview with Ferretti on February 10, and it was kindly translated for us by Rado (also known as Space Ace-- Thanks, Space!). You can read the full translation here. The picture above accompanied the article (you can view the entire page here). It shows Ferretti in his office, with blueprints for his Black Dahlia set designs on the wall behind him. Last month, Ferretti received his seventh Oscar nomination, this time for his work on Martin Scorsese's The Aviator. When asked if he would win this time, Ferretti replied, "I don't know. One always hopes. Maybe the next time, with The Black Dahlia

"THE CAMERA LIES 24 FRAMES PER SECOND"

The article bills The Black Dahlia as the most expensive Hollywood production ever shot in Bulgaria so far, and states that by April, "the chip board imitations of whole streets and buildings from Los Angeles in the '40s must be ready." Ferretti discusses his mentor, Federico Fellini. "What I learned from him became my textbook," Ferretti told 24 Hours. "He was an incredible dreamer and liar. I'm thankful to him for teaching me how to lie convincingly. Because in the movie business, if you aren't a good liar, you'll simply perish." In a seperate interview a couple of weeks ago with Sorrisi, Ferretti directly linked what he learned from Fellini to his mammoth task for De Palma's film. "I must reconstruct the Los Angeles of the 1940s," he told Paolo Fiorelli. "In Bulgaria! Fortunately, Fellini has taught me that impossible enterprises do not exist. And I firmly believe this." In Ferretti, De Palma truly seems to have found a match for his conviction that "the camera lies 24 frames per second."

”CONTROVERSY”
The following article may contain minor spoilers, as it discusses casting descriptions for The Black Dahlia
Old 02-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Master Fan

Sin City Site
Official site launched for Frank Miller adaptation.

February 16, 2005 - The official site for Dimension Films' Sin City is now live! A number of the site's features are still under construction, but fans will definitely want to check out the characters section for some really cool multimedia vignettes showcasing the major characters.

Sin City is a highly stylized adaptation of Frank Miller's long-running, critically-acclaimed graphic novel series. It's based on three of Miller's stories; Sin City, That Yellow Bastard and The Big Fat Kill.

The film stars Bruce Willis as Hartigan, a cop with a bum ticker and a vow to protect stripper, Nancy (Jessica Alba); Mickey Rourke as Marv, the outcast misanthrope on a mission to avenge the death of his one true love, Goldie (Jamie King); and Clive Owen as Dwight, the clandestine love of Shelly (Brittany Murphy), who spends his nights defending Gail (Rosario Dawson) and her Old Towne girls (Devon Aoki and Alexis Bledel) from Jackie (Benicio Del Toro), a tough guy with a penchant for violence.

Elijah Wood, Nick Stahl, Michael Madsen, Carla Gugino, Michael Clarke Duncan and Josh Hartnett are also part of the ensemble cast.

Frank Miller wrote the screenplay and co-directed the film with Robert Rodriguez.

Sin City hits theaters on April 1st.
http://www.sincitythemovie.com/
Old 02-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Master Fan

Som Mozard and the whale updates

Music for MATW

Hartnett plays Asperger's character well, Cole says

Also found this
Quote:
have some email news from one of Mozart's producers that the film is almost finished (less than 2 weeks, that's all) and that they will be submitting it to the Cannes Film Festival, although it's not yet been accepted.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Master Fan

Author of the Rum diarie kills himself
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

he was a friend of josh
Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Master Fan

Writer Pitches Hartnett Idea Through Ad

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A man who thinks he has written a script perfect for Josh Hartnett (news) has taken out a half-page newspaper ad in the actor's hometown to catch his attention.

Paul Martin Hennessey said he does not know anyone in Hollywood and failed to reach Hartnett's agent through traditional means. So he took out an ad in City Pages, a free alternative newspaper in St. Paul.

"Dear Josh Hartnett," the ad reads. "In the land of the free and the home of the brave where equal opportunity is open to all, there seems to be a gap in the American Dream, actually, more of a catch 22."

Hennessey, of Alton, Mo., said his script about a 1942 fatal fire at a Boston night club could earn the star of "Pearl Harbor" and "Black Hawk Down" an Academy Award.

"A hero emerged from the fire," Hennessey, 59, told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "He was in the Coast Guard and just happened to be there that night. It's more about the hero and his recovery."

Hartnett, 26, is a 1996 graduate of Minneapolis South High School. His family still lives in St. Paul.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...riter_hartnett
Old 02-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Elite Fan

That's very weird yet cool!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Master Fan

yes it is, if it works we should try and put together a script and then jump him

Quote:
hear today, that Mozart and the Whale has been confirmed for the Palm Beach International Film Festival (14th-21st April).
And that the producers are still hoping to be accepted at Cannes (11th-22nd May) and at Tribeca (19th April - 1st May).
source:
*********************************/forum...ubb=forum;f=17
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that, Elin!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Master Fan

your very welcome kaite