Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Elite Fan

The Rum Diaries Official Thread: Josh Hartnett and Johnny Depp - Need I Say More?

Elin and Kelly -> I didn't see a thread dedicated to this but I could have missed it. If there is a thread, feel free to close this.

I am very excited about this movie because it has two of my favorite male actors in it, and Johnny Depp is almost always in great movies so this can help Josh get a huge break, although I am sure his other movies coming out will do that considering how great they sound.

Cast (Subject to Change

Johnny Depp .... Paul Kemp
Josh Hartnett .... Addison Fritz Yeamon
Benicio Del Toro .... Bob Sala
Nick Nolte .... Lotterman

Rum Diary Summary

Quote:
Begun in 1959 by a then-twenty-two-year-old Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary is a brilliantly tangled love story of jealousy, treachery and violent alcoholic lust in the Caribbean boomtown that was San Juan, Puerto Rico, in the late 1950s.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

yeah shees i whish they would hurry up and start making it already. Josh has mentioned a couple of times but somehow nothing comes out of it.

However i found this site http://www.rumdiary.cjb.net/ which is dedicated so i´ll post a few things of it.

Quote:
Latest news, 1st March. Welcome back all! Some very good tributes and tales (Depp et al getting a cannon, travels and the cherry bomb story are excellent!) of the Doc in the Forum, feel free to keep leaving your thoughts there. Very sad, heartfelt feelings for those who knew and loved him. Let's get the Rum on the road as a testament. The great news is according the press Colonel J.D, Nolte and Robinson want to go at it in high gear
Quote:
Met Mr.Nolte at the Hulk Premiere, London, Lie Chester Square. and exchanged a few words as surprisingly he's a busy man. Go go go Rum Diaries!
intersting Robison is the director, JD (Johnny Deep) and Nick Nolte so uhm

The script

Status Updated: 15 February 2005
which means it not dead

bad news though from the forum
Quote:
Well as you all know the Rum Diary has had alot of setbacks, and it seems less likely that this movie will ever appear on the big screen.

Still ive been searching for any kinds of updates on this project, and today i found this on the IMDb rum diary forum, and well it seems that Benicio has dropped out of this project all together, as a director and a member of the cast, well these are only the words of some sort of groupie but i cant see why this wouldnt be accurate.

by - missjayroe 4 days ago (Mon Feb 7 2005 13:27:33 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a jerky star-struck fan, I accosted Benecio Del Toro Saturday night (2-05-05) and told him I was excited to see him in this. Apparently this was not a good topic because he told me he was no longer affiliated with this project. So I am heartbroken that he won’t be in it and his tone sounded as though the project itself was up in the air. Let me know if anyone has heard anythin.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
GOOD NEWS!!?
by - twoody-1 (Fri Feb 25 2005 01:01:12 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
London's Evening Standard newspaper reported on 24 Feb (yesterday) the following: "Hunter S. Thompson may have gone to the great cinema in the sky, but I (Tom Teodorczuk the reporter) hear the film version of his novel The Rum Diary is still on. There was some uncertainty after Oscar-winning actor Benicio Del Toro left the project - he was to have made his directing debut in this tale based on Thompson's wild times as a journalist in 50's Puerto Rico. But Johnny Depp and Nick Nolte are still keen to go ahead and Bruce Robinson ("Withnail and I") is the new director. "Benicio wasn't happy with the script but will still act in the film" Tom is told." ends. Hope this makes you all as happy as it made me yesterday. From Woody, London
from www.imdb.com forum

so who knows really
Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Interesting news about Benicio droppping out. I kind of was looking forward to him in the film. This better go through though because I desperatly want to see Josh and Johnny onscreen together.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Master Fan

yeah it seems nobody really knows whats gonna happen

Josh attented a tribute to Hunter S Thompson

About 200 people, including his close relatives and the "kitchen" crew named for his work space, told those Hunter S. Thompson stories as they gathered in a swank Aspen hotel ballroom Saturday night.

The kitchen regulars included many a household name worldwide: Johnny Depp, John Cusack (who did a Thompson play), Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Don Johnson, Sean Penn, Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner, Pulitzer-Prize winning author William Kennedy, and more than a dozen others who had changed the world of their chosen fields.

osh Hartnett, who is playing Thompson in the movie version of The Rum Diary, read from that novel.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/lo...600893,00.html

actually don´t think josh was gonna play thompson himself in the movie
Old 03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, maybe that article just messed up the name or something.

I hope this movie goes through, it sounds so good.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh man! That's really too bad about Benicio dropping out. I was looking forward to seeing that... Hmm..

The novel is okay. Not great but okay. But that's probably just my opinion. Funny thing though, as soon as I found out Johnny and Josh were starrring in the same movie (over a year ago), I rushed to the bookstore to get the book. I didn't find it anywhere so I had to order it online. Anyway, Josh's character, Yeamon, is pretty interesting. I'm soooo excited to see his portrayal! Can't wait!

~ Carla
Old 03-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Master Fan

I haven´t read that book but i would like to.

We have to have our eyes and ears open for anything new on this movie being made hopefully with benicio in it as well
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, he's still starring in it, doesn't that count?

~ Carla
Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Master Fan

i don´t know, josh has mention this movie several times and there is something rumbling there but nothing has been confirmed yet. But my fingers are crossed for this one to happen
Old 03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
But that's probably just my opinion. Funny thing though, as soon as I found out Johnny and Josh were starrring in the same movie (over a year ago), I rushed to the bookstore to get the book.
I know the feeling. Would you reccommend the book or no?

Quote:
i don´t know, josh has mention this movie several times and there is something rumbling there but nothing has been confirmed yet. But my fingers are crossed for this one to happen
I thought it was confirmed about him being in it..?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Master Fan

i don´t know he said it but then we don´t here anything else about production dates and all that but i´m confident that it will be made just hope it is soon
Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Master Fan

Latest news from the fan site

Quote:
Latest news, 9th March. All got together in Colorado Hotel for a private goodbye to the Doc. Counsoler. Some very good tributes and tales (Depp et al getting a cannon, travels and the cherry bomb story are excellent!) of the Doc in the Forum, feel free to keep leaving your thoughts there. Very sad, heartfelt feelings for those who knew and loved him. Let's get the Rum on the road as a testament. The great news is according the press Colonel J.D, Nolte and Robinson want to go at it in high gear!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

Awesome news! Hopefully this will mean the movie will start rolling.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Katie-
I know the feeling. Would you reccommend the book or no?
Yeah, I suppose I could.

And I'm pretty sure that movie will be made. Stop scaring me, guys! I've been waiting too long for this

And pretty new icon Katie! LOL!

~ Carla