Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Total Fan

Do you remember? - Gilmore Girls Season 1 Discussion #1

This is a thread for old episodes discussions!

You can post here impressions, pictures, fanart, quotes everything you liked or hated about a specific episode!

We start with:

101 Pilot

gs: Liz Torres (Miss Patty) Jared Padalecki (Dean Forester) Alex Borstein (Drella) Emily Kuroda (Mrs. Kim)

After Rory is accepted at Chilton, an extremely prestigious and expensive prep school, Lorelai's difficulty in raising the tuition money forces her to ask her wealthy parents, from whom she is estranged, for a loan.
The elder Gilmores happily loan their daughter the money in exchange for an end to the estrangement and a family dinner every Friday night.
In her last week at Stars Hollow High School, Rory meets a very cute new transfer student named Dean, which gives her second thoughts about attending Chilton. When Lorelai discovers that her ambivalence about Chilton centers on a boy, they argue about her future, but after the first Friday night family dinner at her grandparents' house, Rory makes up with her mother and decides to go to Chilton after all when she realizes the sacrifice her mother has made in agreeing to end the estrangement with her grandparents.

b: 05-Oct-2000 pc: 226730 w: Amy Sherman-Palladino d: Lesli Linka Glatter

NOTE:

A completely different set for the town of Stars Hollow was used in subsequent episodes.
When ABC Family airs this episode, they delete Lorelai's line "Oh, you're gonna have to walk faster than that. You're gonna have to turn into friggin' Flo Jo to get away from me."

Music: Sam Phillips' "Where the Colors Don't Go" plays when the scene cuts to the elder Gilmores' home for the first time.

Music: "There She Goes" by Sixpence None The Richer plays when Lorelai is walking to Luke's in the beginning, and before the opening credits when the college guys leave after finding out Rory is sixteen.

Music: "My Little Corner Of The World" by Yo La Tengo on the Gilmore Girls Soundtrack plays at the end when the camera pans out of Luke's when Lorelai tries to get Rory to talk about Dean.

[Credit TV Tome]

Pilot Transcript

Pilot Screencaps

Tell me what you think!

Last edited by Lands; 04-12-2005 at 06:29 AM
Old 04-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Great idea Luke. I remember reading someone's thoughts on GG once and that they were extremely impressed by them making fun of Britney Spears even though she was all the rage at the time. To be honest, I doubted that the show would last very long because of the timeslot they orginally had (8pm on Thursdays ) but I gave it a chance, and I tihnk it was partially due to hearing the ads "I'm going to be in a Britney Spears video?" Not only did it appeal to those of us bored with pop culture, but it introduced us to the Girls and everybody in their lives. The pilot did an amazing job introducing us to the main characters, from Emily trying anything and everything to get the girls back into her life to Sookie's clumsiness. It also introduced us to Lorelai's and Sookie's dream of opening their own inn.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Total Fan

I discovered GG reading spoilers for shows like X-files, Buffy, Roswell or Dawson's Creek and all the time there was this thread, always on the top of the page.
At that time, I didn't pay too much attention to this new show!
But in the summer before season 3, the GG forum just exploded (the rumor that Luke will kiss Lorelai). It was a frenzy... and I'm talking here about one thread/day!
So I thought to give a try to this show. First, I searched on internet for the episodes description, then for the transcripts! I finally found (now closed) Jenna's site and I read the script for the pilot!
I was completely amazed... it was love at first sight!
So that was for me the beginning of the madness!
In less than one week, I read transcripts for the first two seasons (and you have to believe me, I restrained myself to seven scripts/day)
The rest is history...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

First when I saw this episode.. I thought.. What is that show all about?? I mean what can be so interesting of a mother's and daughter's life?? But as a TV Junkie I watched the enxt episode too and the next etc..

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love how they introduced the show, the camera panning along a stereotypical mainstreet, of smalltown USA. You see a beautiful sign welcoming you to Stars Hollow, and then the camera lands on Lorelai a beautiful woman in her 30s as she walks down the street and crosses to the other side, entering a diner. It's pretty busy, but she grabs her mug and goes up to get it filled. She doesn't ask for coffee, she begs for it. Luke acts grumpily, but you can see his resolve weakening and we're blessed with a bit of banter.
Quote:
LUKE: Junkie.

LORELAI: Angel. You've got wings, baby.
I just think they did so well on it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:34 AM
New Fan

I started watching Gilmore Girls because it was one of the very few shows on TV that could make me laugh out loud. Plus, I could relate to a lot of the family issues. My sister and I are a lot like Rory and Lorelai, respectively. My dad and Emily have some definite similarities, and my family has weekly Sunday Night Dinners. We're not obligated to go because of loans or anything, but if we don't show up, there are issues.

Anyway, I'm also a sucker for well-done unresolved sexual tension story lines, so when I finally caught up on reruns and saw the Lorelai's First Day at Chilton, I was hooked. That scene at the end with Lorelai asking Rory if she thinks Luke is cute is great, especially when Luke comes at watches after them of moment before closing up the diner. It's obvious what the two L/L scenes are implying, but at the same time, it sets up the idea that they're probably not going to do anything about it soon. Rory sets up the problem of how much would change if they broke up. And Luke, while confident in bantering with Lorelai, certainly isn't confident in talking about that dad from Chilton.

Okay, I have to get to class. Great thread idea, Lands!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Total Fan

102 The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton

gs: Dakin Matthews (Hanlin Charleston) Liz Torres (Miss Patty) Nick Chinlund (Ian Jack) Liza Weil (Paris Geller) Sally Struthers (Babette Dell) Alex Borstein (Drella) John Billingsley (Mr. Remmy)

Lorelai oversleeps on Rory's first day at Chilton, and discovers that all her good clothes are at the cleaners. She throws on a tiny tie-dyed top, Daisy Mae shorts, and cowboy boots to the dismay of Rory, the Chilton headmaster, and Emily, who has shown up for Rory's first day. Lorelai and Emily leave after some awkward moments in the headmaster's office, bickering the entire way out. Rory's day goes downhill from there. She's handed a three inch binder containing one week's worth of notes from one class and meets some insufferable classmates who are determined to make her life at Chilton miserable.

b: 12-Oct-2000 pc: 226701 w: Amy Sherman-Palladino d: Arlene Sanford

NOTE:

- We learn Rory's real name is Lorelai.
- Lorelai hints at her attraction to Luke when she asks Rory what she thinks of him.

Transcript

Screencaps
Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode was when I first fell for Luke/Lorelai. It was the scene when Lorelai told Luke about the Chilton dad. It was this look that did me in:

I loved that they used XTC's I'm The Man Who Murdered Love in the beginning. I loved that Lorelai dressed the way she did, right away I thought of Dukes of Hazard (even though I've never seen it, I know about the way Daisy dressed).
Quote:
LORELAI: What a nice, nice man.

RORY: You're feeling pretty good about yourself right now, aren't you?

LORELAI: Yeah.

RORY: Do you want me to get you a mirror?

LORELAI: [her smile fades] I'm back. Let's go.
I loved S1 Rory. I loved Emily's spurs comment. Ah Paris..I love her. She's not perfect but she is so funny. Great adversaries becoming great friends. What a beginning. I love Lorelai and Rory's discussion in the end, looking back on it now I realize what a treasure it is to have seen Lorelai thinking that way about Luke so early on.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Elite Fan

This looks like a fun thread
Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Total Fan

Oh yeah -- we should pick a weekly episode to discuss. Anyone have any ideas?
Icon by Kiara99
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

well we could go with 1.03 as we just discussed 1.01 and 1.02
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Janet ~ (View Post)
well we could go with 1.03 as we just discussed 1.01 and 1.02
Great idea.

Although, hehe, i haven't seen the first season episodes in ages, i haven't got around to buying the dvd's yet.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Elite Fan

1.03 Kill Me Now

When Rory announces at Friday night dinner that she has to pick a team sport to play at Chilton, Emily insists that Richard take Rory to the club and teach her golf. Although Rory tees off to a rocky start, she soon gets into the swing of things and has a great time walking and talking with Richard. Later, Lorelai's mixed feelings as Rory tells her how much she enjoyed being with Richard at the club provokes her into an intensely stupid argument with Rory, which is soon patched up when Lorelai realizes that she's not losing Rory to her parents. At the Inn, Lorelai has her hands full overseeing all the preparations for an ornate double wedding ceremony and contending with a pair of spoiled and quarrelsome twin brides, their exhausted mother, their twin grooms, Michel, and the rest of her staff.

First aired: 10/19/2000

Writer: Joanne Waters
Director: Adam Nimoy
Guest star: Liz Torres (Miss Patty), Sally Struthers (Babette Dell), Alex Borstein (Drella), Ted Rooney (Morey Dell), Jackson Douglas (Jackson Melville) , Sean Gunn (Bird Handler), Lisa Poff (Sarah), Kelly Cohen (Jackie Shales), Ashley Cohen (Jessica Shales), Chris Hoffman (Matt), Matt Hoffman (I) (Mark), Melendy Britt (Gloria), Tony Pasqualini (Wallace), Jean St. James (Irate Mother), Meagen Fay (Mrs. Shales), Eileen Barnett (Nanette), Charles C. Stevenson Jr. (Julian Johnson), Jay Gerber (Edward James), Laura Gardner (Woman #2)

Kill Me Now Transcript

Kill Me Now Screencaps
Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara99 (View Post)
1.03 Kill Me Now

When Rory announces at Friday night dinner that she has to pick a team sport to play at Chilton, Emily insists that Richard take Rory to the club and teach her golf. Although Rory tees off to a rocky start, she soon gets into the swing of things and has a great time walking and talking with Richard. Later, Lorelai's mixed feelings as Rory tells her how much she enjoyed being with Richard at the club provokes her into an intensely stupid argument with Rory, which is soon patched up when Lorelai realizes that she's not losing Rory to her parents. At the Inn, Lorelai has her hands full overseeing all the preparations for an ornate double wedding ceremony and contending with a pair of spoiled and quarrelsome twin brides, their exhausted mother, their twin grooms, Michel, and the rest of her staff.

First aired: 10/19/2000

Writer: Joanne Waters
Director: Adam Nimoy
Guest star: Liz Torres (Miss Patty), Sally Struthers (Babette Dell), Alex Borstein (Drella), Ted Rooney (Morey Dell), Jackson Douglas (Jackson Melville) , Sean Gunn (Bird Handler), Lisa Poff (Sarah), Kelly Cohen (Jackie Shales), Ashley Cohen (Jessica Shales), Chris Hoffman (Matt), Matt Hoffman (I) (Mark), Melendy Britt (Gloria), Tony Pasqualini (Wallace), Jean St. James (Irate Mother), Meagen Fay (Mrs. Shales), Eileen Barnett (Nanette), Charles C. Stevenson Jr. (Julian Johnson), Jay Gerber (Edward James), Laura Gardner (Woman #2)

Kill Me Now Transcript

Kill Me Now Screencaps
Nice to start with an ep where SP wasn't in.

Love that this thread was brought back up!

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Elite Fan

and that on the SP board!