Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

New! Season Finale!

Quote:
Rescuing Rory (Alexis Bledel) after a night of reckless behavior with Logan (Matt Czuchry), Lorelai (Lauren Graham) is shocked to hear her daughter's plans for the future. Lorelai first turns to Richard (Edward Herrmann) and Emily (Kelly Bishop) for help, but soon realizes that Luke (Scott Patterson) is the only person she can trust.
Keiko Agena also stars. The episode was written and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino.
Courtesy: thewb.com

I can't believe I'm starting this new thread already.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Total Fan

Tonight is the season finale.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Okay, it's wednesday morning over here in Europe now. All the US GG fans already saw the final eppie but I'm still a "fan-who-didn't-see-the-finale". Could somebody please, please, please pm me with a good Bittorrent website. The one I always use is down.
Please HELP a fellow fan out!

I'll love you like a 2$$ whore forever.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Master Fan

Luke is soooooo adorable in the finale.
How can you not love him .....
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyCerts
Luke is soooooo adorable in the finale.
How can you not love him .....
NOT love him?
REALLY, that man has written 'love me' all over him.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Total Fan

I have the same perspective about this season as elvis_state @ Spoilers Board.
I found his/her post very pertinent and wonderfully structured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis_state
I have had a lot of negative feelings about this show over the past several weeks and have been very disappointed with shows lack of storyline arc, continuity, and character development. And I thought it would be cathartic to express my reasons why. And this board seemed like the place to do it. This is simply my opinion; I do not mean to insult or inflame anyone.

I believe the first half of the season was better than second half, because Amy seemed to have at least one storyline arc that she built upon, Luke and Lorelai starting a romantic relationship. And I felt this storyline played out very nicely through the first half of the season. Amy showed LL getting closer, adjusting to the relationship, how it affected others. This was done very well and had a great climax in WBB.

However, I felt the other storylines in the first half were terrible. First, there was no follow through on the season four finale, Rory never dealt with the fact she was an adulteress. Lorelai and Rory spending the summer estranged was never really addressed. I will admit it was alluded to, but I felt it was way too subtle for storyline development purposes. Emily and Richard reconciliation seemed to come out of the blue. Amy showed Emily’s devastation of the breakup, but she never addressed the reasons for the breakup in the reconciliation process.

And the new, Rory and Christopher, storyline was dropped almost as quickly as it was introduced. Amy was starting to tell a very interesting story, Rory’s relationship or lack there of, with her father. Rory has to have abandonment issues, this was the time to address them, but as soon as Strum died, Rory feels guilty about abandoning her father and we get an off handed comment about how they had a good talk and worked this out. Why were we, the audience, left out of this good talk and instead privy to Kirk dressed up as a hooker trying to seduce Taylor. Don’t mis-understand me, I know this is a comedy/drama and there will be moments of levity. But I expect the humor to come from the story telling not instead of the story telling and I felt that much of this season we got comedy for comedy’s sake.

For me everything after WBB went down hill. While the acting was splendid and while some episodes were incredibly heartfelt as stand alone pieces, the overall story telling, I thought was lacking. And I thought the character development of Emily, while through most the first half of the season she was deliciously malicious while still laced with insecurities, eventually she became a one dimensional caricature of herself.

I found the storylines, very disjointed in the second half and found myself scratching my head wondering what Amy was up to. For instance, if Amy wanted to do a pregnancy scare than do a pregnancy scare, have a story arc spanning a few episodes, but to put it in between two commercials is insulting. This is a 37 year old woman who has already had a child and has been in several adult relationships. She would not assume she is pregnant after eating one apple after a night of unprotected sex. I know Lorelai’s love for all things junk and hatred for all things healthy, but this is still not enough. GG is a television series based upon unplanned teen pregnancy, to have a throw away pregnancy scare is insulting to the series as a whole. And if the whole point of the scare was to show that Luke and Lorelai aren’t talking about their future and what they want from each other, than why not have the night of unprotected sex occur early in the year and show Lorelai fretting about it while Luke is making overtures to buy the Twickman House.

Rory’s crisis of faith is a good storyline and it needs to be explored, but don’t make her boss her boyfriend’s father. This to me takes away from the heart of the story, because now Amy has an easy out, Logan’s father has ulterior motives. This would resonate more, if there were no personal connection, but now, we are all left wondering “is this because Mitchum doesn’t want Rory around Logan.” Also I think, this arc should have been given more time to develop, Rory should have had the internship most of the season that way the bad review is not based on two days of work. To me this storyline felt rushed.

Emily and Lorelai. We had a great confrontation in WBB and a couple of more fights, a rude FND, and than all of sudden they are getting along swimmingly. Where is the Emily’s redemption? Where is Emily’s recognition that she is at fault? Where are the consequences for Emily’s outlandish behavior? Where is the continuity with this storyline? I find it appalling that this was dropped.

Luke and Lorelai. I think Amy started out wonderfully, the build up was slow and interesting, Emily and Richard disapproving was done very well, carried a good punch, maybe a bit extreme, but forgivable. WBB was brilliant and it was the culmination of the first half of the season, this was good story telling, it had an arc and a climax. But Luke and Lorelai after WBB failed in my eyes.

While the break-up episodes were heart wrenching, the resolution was dreadful. Emily was not the only cause of the break up. Lorelai lying had something to do with it and how about Luke being “all in” and than he balks at the first sign of trouble. Neither of these issues were addressed in the reconciliation. Of course, if the audience were privy to some of their conversations maybe we would have a better handle on how things got so messed up between the two or maybe that is the storyline, they don’t communicate. I feel very fuzzy about this relationship in the second half of the season. Sometimes they are portrayed wonderfully, like in the kitchen talking about Rory after their make-up date and sometimes they are portrayed like brother and sister like with Twickman(sp?) house introduction. The writing for these two seems very inconsistent.

As for the season finale, it was another example of a great standalone episode, with exceptional acting and a big climactic finish. I always love episodes written and directed by Amy; these episodes have a pulse and contain overwhelming emotion. These episodes make me love this show, but they also raise my expectations for the rest of the season. And after this year’s finale and what I feel was a lack of follow through this year, I find myself repeating this mantra about season 6, “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.”

Well that was quiet a mouthful. And while I know everyone doesn’t share my opinion, I thank you for allowing me to vent my dissatisfaction. And I also know it is easy to sit back and criticize and that GG is Amy’s vision and these are her characters to do with what she wants and I can either enjoy the ride or not. It is my choice.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It didn't have a feeling of season finale until the very last few seconds. I think it was the first finale that didn't have the girls together in the last scene. Weird... I did love Luke blurting something out about children, but I don't know why - it just didn't seem right. I think the point it started going downhill was after Pulp Friction. I think it's because we didn't get much of Emily/Richard (which could have been a greta storyline, very strong) and after everything L/L have been through they went back to normal pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love L/L but we should've been given something. Onto the season finale itself. The teaser was blah until Finn and Colin appeared. Not enough Luke, but it's the season finale. Shame Luke gave up the Twikham house. Glad we got to see Mirs. Kim I missed her. And Rory, although having just been extremely hurt, is acting like a two year old. Why is it that Rory acts dumber as she gets older? And the ending..well that was awesome. The only part that truly felt like it was the season finale was when Lorelai looked at Rory through the window, and then Lorelai going to Luke; Luke's ranting, and Lorelai's proposal. That "What!?" was just awesome. Thanks AS-P; you've made summer even longer for me.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Elite Fan

I don't think Luke gave up the Twickham house. I mean, it was just hours later that Lorelai proposed to him. (first time I wrote that and it's weird...) He had 3 days to change his mind. Knowing Luke, he will run out into the street after of course saying yes and kissing her till she needs an oxygen mask, and tell Taylor he still wants it. Assuming of course that the next epi picks up where we left off, but seriously, is there any other way? It would be really, really terrible if we just saw Lorelai shopping for her wedding dress!!

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 05-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It would be really, really terrible if we just saw Lorelai shopping for her wedding dress!!
You know that's what we'll be getting, and to top it off Rory will be helping Lorelai shop.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley
and kissing her till she needs an oxygen mask
Yvonne... and the paramedics.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What's everyone's thoughts on the proposal? Should it have been Luke to propose? Or did AS-P go the right route in having Lorelai propose?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Total Fan

I love that Lorelai proposed, for me justice was done for the entire season.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I think asp has made it obvious how luke feels, this proposal finally showed everyone how lorelai feels about him...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hi, I'm From Holland.. So We are still waiting for the season finaly.. So Lorelai proposed?? En What did luke said?? Yes..? of No..?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Master Fan

hi 01Sweet, welcome to the boards...

luke didn't really answer yet.. of course.. that's what cliffhangers are for!!! lorelai proposed to him, and he was completely shell-shocked and caught off guard and all he could say was a soft.. "what?"

the last few seconds of the SEASON were perfection!!