Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Master Fan

The feasibility of 'Jake'

Okay, I've been thinking about this and thought it would be an interesting discussion topic.

Just how feasible is 'Jake', realistically speaking? Is it possible to masquerade as a boy for a whole summer? Granted, she totally looks like a boy when she's dressed up, but there must be so many pratical implications.

- Summer session was hot, as could be seen by various skimpy clothing donned by other cast members [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] She must have died in that binder and long sleeved shirts. A few years back, in the name of 'research', I actually went out in drag on a hot summer's day, complete with wig and cap and everything. It was no picnic, I can assure you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- In Free Will, when she was down by the docks in a thin black sweater, you could see her binder so clearly. Obviously in real life that's gonna pose some questions.

- Since summer session was, what, two months? She must have had her period sometime. How does she hide that?

- Obviously, showers aren't too private, as could be seen in WBSHM. It's a miracle she didn't get discovered before then!

So, do you think it's actually feasible for 'Jake' to happen in a real-life scenario? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 03-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Wow I don't know if anyone has ever thought of that!

I might have to sleep on that one.

Wow good questions.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun:
<STRONG>In Free Will, when she was down by the docks in a thin black sweater, you could see her binder so clearly. Obviously in real life that's gonna pose some questions.</STRONG>
not necessarily. i tend to find people see what they want to see. most of the students at the school already thought Jake was a little odd, with the whole Hamilton thing, and they'd probably choose to ignore it. teenage boys aren't really into way out things, so they'd probably just ignore the fact that she was a little different. after all, everyone's a little kooky!
Old 03-25-2004, 03:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by TORIAxXx:
<STRONG>not necessarily. i tend to find people see what they want to see.</STRONG>
I suppose that's true... but then how did Bella pick up on it so quickly? And it's not like most girls could recognise she was a girl because I don't think anyone from Finn's co-ed class picked it up.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Master Fan

Well Jake kinda let it "slip out" to Bella that she was a girl. The way she said 'Cute coat' (Bella knows by now guys NEVER say cute!) And she stared at Jake's face for a moment and noticed there was no Adam's apple. It was just intuition to her that Jake was a girl. So when Jake showed up on her bike in Free Will, Bella kept checking until she finally got some reaction.

She's just smart. As for the co-ed girls. Well Jake's a better actor with them I guess.

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited Lance's Girl ]
Old 03-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Dedicated Fan

plus, didn't she kinda stay away from the girls in her group for that reason? after her initial experience with Bella, she avoided a lot of female interaction, Lena excluded. that way, they wouldn't get a chance to notice.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Master Fan

Okay, questions of other people recognising aside, do you think it would have been a really big challenge for Jake to keep up her facade?

I mean, she's a good actress - she can do the demeanor really well, and her voice is low so that doesn't really give it away. But I'm just thinking about the little things - the showers and needing to jump into the lake with all your clothes on (The Pilot) and needing to buy 'girl' stuff like tampons and things...

Also, I've been thinking about how far her guy persona goes, geographically. Say she's going to New York - she'd probably dress up as a girl when she's in New York. I guess she'll be a 'boy' when she's in New Rawley since it's just too close to the school. What if she goes to Carson to buy something or to get to the post office? Would she wear boy clothes, or girl clothes?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

Well I suck because I never realized this show had a board 'til recently but anyway...

I think given the scenes we were shown during the summer season and Jake's personal situation, she did as well as could be expected. If I were a girl and I was pretending to be a guy, I don't think I would know how to flawlessly pull that off so no one would notice, especially the viewers of the show, who have the upperhand in all situations, hence the millions of Americans wasting their time shouting at a TV screen at people who can't hear them [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

I, myself, knew she was a girl, just from the opening scene (notice how they deliberately didn't do the character line-up in the opening credits for the first ep... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) -- but I think that's the same thing as Bella knowing because she's a girl as well.

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
Old 03-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by .:NiennaValandil:.:
<STRONG>I think given the scenes we were shown during the summer season and Jake's personal situation, she did as well as could be expected. </STRONG>
Absolutely, absolutely. But the question remains whether she (or anyone) could have pulled it off for an entire summer, as was portrayed.

Although, I think after she and Ham got together the show's stylists went ahead and made her more feminine. Pilot aside, she had very boyish, spiky hair for the first half of the show; then her hairstyle started getting more feathery and feminine. That was especially apparent in Free Will.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Fan

I totally see what you mean [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. It's hard to believe that everyone was fooled by it for so long, although she did try to keep her hair somewhat spiky in public....not that often though.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

You know, it's not her appearance that sort of bugs me about this whole thing - it's the small things. Like (sorry I keep getting back to it!) periods. And just general girl stuff. And of course the wearing of way too much clothes in the summertime. How does she hide all that or deal with that? It just seems such a daunting task.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Fan

It probably was. I don't doubt that the writers of the show didn't think anyone would actually analyze their ideas intelligently -- they probably figured we'd be like a good number of America's youth who look at the show's premise and think "Oh cool -- a girl pretending to be a dude. Hey doesn't she like that sexy guy with the pretty eyes? I hope they get busy..." Hey it's shallow, but it's somewhat true. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Master Fan

I agree that all the girl stuff would be difficult to deal with in a all boy's school but I guess if you can have some routine and plan your moves...maybe she'd have an opportunity to keep the charade the whole summer.

Anyway it's a reality that guys do not notice details as much as girls do so it wouln't be impossible to hide Jake's real gender. Difficult yes, but not impossible.

Just my opinion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yeah that's true! Guys hardly notice anything. So I guess it'll be much easier for a girl to masquerade as a guy than for a guy to masquerade as a girl. I remember reading a fic once... or was it just a challenge for a fic? Anyway, it was for Scout to go in drag into the girls' school. That image had me laughing for days. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, totally true! A guy masquerading as a girl would be hard. Mmmm... I think in the first season of NB there's a part where Scout dressed as a girl had to go to Rawley girls and take a yearbook or something. The title was "Truth or Dare" I believe [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun:
<STRONG> [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yeah that's true! Guys hardly notice anything. So I guess it'll be much easier for a girl to masquerade as a guy than for a guy to masquerade as a girl. I remember reading a fic once... or was it just a challenge for a fic? Anyway, it was for Scout to go in drag into the girls' school. That image had me laughing for days. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[ 03-26-2004: Message edited talliann ]