Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

The Smiths/Morrissey #3 ~ So you go and you stand on your own

A new beginning for this thread.
Last thread number, if I remember correctly, was #2.

Anyway I found this headline at CNN.com:

Quote:
It's number 'One' on the list of top lyrics

The line "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" from the 1992 song "One" topped a poll conducted by music channel VH1.

Runner-up was the downbeat "So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die" from The Smiths' "How Soon is Now."

Last edited by The Wanderer; 04-17-2006 at 11:15 PM
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for opening this! Do you mind if I add Morrissey to the title so we can keep it all in one thread?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a n d i
Thanks for opening this! Do you mind if I add Morrissey to the title so we can keep it all in one thread?

No problem, andi. Please, do it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Master Fan

Done and done. Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

I finally bought latest Morrissey album "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" on CD because I didn't find the DVD yet.

I have to say that it's quite an impressive album.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:53 AM
Master Fan

Oh, I got it a couple of weeks ago. I really like it! Though, I think that Morrissey's lyrics just aren't the same as they used to be. Or is that just me?

The songs are still great, and the lyrics are good, but compared to back in the Smiths and his early solo career I just think they're...lacking?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Master Fan

Okay I've only heard of three The Smiths songs: Pretty Girls Make Graves, This Charming Man and The Queen Is Dead and while I hated them when I first heard them, I'm liking the songs more and more now. So, yay. Heh.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Master Fan

I think you come to appreciate Morrissey's lyrics with age. I remember being young and rebelling against my parents' musical tastes...

And look at me now? Can't fight the influence.

I was talking to my Prof. about Morrissey the other day, and he said he bumped into Moz in Beverly Hills and Moz ran away from him.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Circe*
I think you come to appreciate Morrissey's lyrics with age. I remember being young and rebelling against my parents' musical tastes...

And look at me now? Can't fight the influence.
So true. That happened to me too.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Master Fan

I've loved The Smiths ever since I first heard them. Morrissey just had some of the most beautiful (and also quite witty) lyrics and his voice! Guh.

And, of course, Johnny Marr's musical contributions have to be mentioned because, well, the lyrics and vocals are only half of what made them, no?

I re-listened to 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' today. I think my favourite tracks are 'Dear God Please Help Me' and 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved'.

And I love how there's always something just out of reach with the lyrics. I'm not sure if that makes sense but there's always this point or meaning behind them that I can't quite grasp. I can guess at their meanings but there's still something obscure or something. I'm ranting.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

No you aren't andi! I totally understand what you mean...and it's a very strange feeling. I only get like that with Morrissey. I might think I get the meaning, but then I'll get this image of him smiling wryly at me and I know I've screwed it up somehow.

Which is why I hate deciphering his lyrics and just let them take me away.

My Poli Sci Prof. is going to let me borros a DVD of a Manchester gig. He's seen The Smiths live...I was born in the wrong decade.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, I pretty much give up on trying to figure out the meaning of his lyrics, too.

Ah, yes. I think it would have been so cool to see the Smiths live. I love how Morrissey used to always have flowers with him. I've never actually seen live footage, but I've read about their early shows in Manchester on....er, this really cool website I found.

Oh! Has anyone here heard Sandie Shaw's Smiths' covers? I'd really like to listen to them. And also the song she wrote about Moz. The only line I remember is 'You don't eat meat, but you eat your heart out, Stephen'. I thought it was kind of cute.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Master Fan

They have Smiths shirts for sale at Urban Outfitters says my dear Robyn...

Quote:
'You don't eat meat, but you eat your heart out, Stephen'.
Which song is that? I need to hear it.

I wonder what Moz felt about it. He's a bit peculiar (understatement).
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I re-listened to 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' today. I think my favourite tracks are 'Dear God Please Help Me' and 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved'.
'Dear God Please Help Me' is my favorite too. This and 'I'll never be anybody's hero now'.

Quote:
Oh! Has anyone here heard Sandie Shaw's Smiths' covers? I'd really like to listen to them. And also the song she wrote about Moz.
No, but I will google for her covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Circe*
Which song is that? I need to hear it.
I think it is 'Steven (You Don't Eat Meat)'.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Master Fan

Thanks! I've never heard of her covers before.

My poli sci professor keeps quoting Smiths songs in the middle of lectures. It's hilarious as no one else knows what he's on about. It's like our secret joke.

I love him.