Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Rufus Wainwright Appreciation Thread #1

Thought I'd start this back up again as I haven't seen it around since the crash.

I'm sure Savannah's out there somewhere, ready to partake in the Rufus lovefest.

Some pics to get started....

Last edited by Dublingal; 05-15-2006 at 10:04 AM
Dublingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

!!! the pics! Thanks for starting the thread again Nat. How have you been?
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Good. Going to see Rufus in September.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Loyal Fan

New pics of Rufus at the History Boys premiere, (a new movie based on the play ) and Rufus has a song on the soundtrack for it. Not sure which song it is though...

I love his jacket. And his scarf. And him...swoon.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Obsessed Fan

Those are great pics as well! *swoon* hehe

I downloaded a video for The Maker Makes a few months ago. It's on my laptop though, do you want me to get it uploaded for all to see? I can work on that this week.

You lucky girl getting to see him in September. lol I found an old journal of mine from 2002-2003 and I talk about how happy I am to get to see him (that was the 1st time too! ). I hope you have fun, I'll be going to a Disney wedding in September. Did you know that Rufus has been commisioned to write an opera? I read that a few weeks ago.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Loyal Fan

I saw the Maker Makes video yeah.

He is ridiculously good-looking in it.

I think I heard something about the opera thing yeah, but not a lot. I wonder if it's still hapeening coz I know that he's working on the new album and he's contributing songs to a new animated film. Busy boy.

I can't wait for September it's going to fantastic. I've never seen him solo before it's always been with a band so I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Him doing a solo show is def. something to look forward to! The first show I saw him in was him alone and then last year was with the two Ben's.

Glad you've seen The Maker Makes video too. He does look great in it and I had no idea how involved he's been in the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack. (I still need to watch that movie, but that's what this summer's for--movies, books, and friends! Oh, and a little work to get $$ for fall semester hehe).

Our fave Mr. W is going to be very busy if he's doing all the things we've heard about. I hope he doesn't work himself too hard, would hate to see that happen. Of course if he gets too tired we can help nurse him back to health right *nudge nudge*
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Loyal Fan

If he's looking for nursing volunteers I'd be only too willing to help. All in the name of the music of course...

Yeah he has two songs on the Brokeback soundtrack, he done a cover of King Of The Road, with his good friend Teddy Thompson, who's also amazing and has a new album called Seperate Ways out and it is incredible, you should try buy it if you can. Have you heard the King Of the Road cover?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

I've not heard that cover, I'll look it up today though.

I'll also look up Teddy Thompson, I've not really heard a lot from him to be honest.

hehe Yes, all in the name of music we would be his nurses. It's never good to see him tired or ill, he needs support

Have you seen any good movies lately Nat? That's what I'm doing a lot this summer, watching movies lol. I watched Closer and The Graduate yesterday. Both were very good in different ways. I can see why the first one made a friend of mine blush though. I vow to rent Brokeback verrrrry soon. hehe Right now, I'm watching Election.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Loyal Fan

I'll send you the Teddy and Rufus duet if you like. You can tell they had a lot of fun recording it.

Election is one of my favourite films. Resse Whiterspoon is fantastic in it. I love movies laced with the kind of black humor that it's got.

I've seen Closer...I'm still uncertain whether I liked it or not. It was interesting, but not a lot happened in it, and the time line was messed up. It was orginally a play and I think I'd rather see it in the theatre. I didn't think it translated that well to the big screen. And yes I can see why it would have the ability to make your friend blush.

At the moment I'm interested to how people in Cannes are going to react to the new Ken Loach film The Wind That Shakes The Barley. It has its premiere there tonight. It's about the Black and Tans (who were a group of British soldiers who were notorious for the atrocities they commited. They travelled around towns in tanks and shot randomly at men, women and children) in Ireland in the 1900s.
And the rebel forces that tried to fight against them. It's set in Cork and Cillian Murphy is in it, and he's kind of become a big star since starring in Batman, so it will probably get a lot of attention. Ken Loach's films are known for being extremely hard hitting and powerful and the film will obviously be controversal because it will address Irish and British poliltical history, as well as the early stages of the IRA, and apparently Loach has created parrells in the film that could subtley reference the war in Iraq. I'm wondering if he can pull it all off. Though Ken Loach is a legendary British filmmaker, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Obsessed Fan

I would adore you even more if you sent me that duet. hehe I listened to a little of Rufus' King of the Road on amazon.com but that's only like 30 seconds worth and that's not nearly enough of Rufus to hear.

I enjoyed Election a lot yesterday. I like dark comedy a lot, and Reese is awesome in everything I've seen her in. Maybe my fondness for dark comedy is why I love Harold and Maude so much. That's a really good movie from the 70s, Cat Stevens did the soundtrack to it and Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon star in it. I reccommend it and if you haven't seen them before--Garden State and The Big Chill great movies for completely different reasons.

Closer was good as well, I think the play would have been better though. I was confused about the timeline a bit.

The movie you mentioned sounds really interesting, I think I'd like to know how it does at Cannes as well. I don't see how he wouldn't be able to put Iraq parallels either. (I am very upset that America went over there, but that's a whole other topic :lol ).

But yes, back on topic of music of Rufus and the related such. I looked up Mr. Thompson's recent album. I liked most of it, esp. the first 3-4 songs. I may buy it this summer sometime. I'm wanting to save at least half of all my paychecks though so I can live through another year of college. (stupid tuition increases ) I looked for a bit more Rufus news today and couldn't find anymore than what we both know.

One final off-topic note, did I ever send you links/files of my writings? I am just wondering because a person I wrote a fake little story about wants to read it. (He's being a supportive friend I know) The thing is I'm nervous about letting him see what stuff I've imagined. I tried to get my friend/his roommate to let him read his copy but he never did and now this past week the friend that's in the story said he never got to read it too. :S Sorry, I just rambled on about something I've told like 3 people now. I get all sorts of advice on things before I do it.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFoley16
I would adore you even more if you sent me that duet.
Sending as we speak.

Quote:
I enjoyed Election a lot yesterday. I like dark comedy a lot, and Reese is awesome in everything I've seen her in. Maybe my fondness for dark comedy is why I love Harold and Maude so much. That's a really good movie from the 70s, Cat Stevens did the soundtrack to it and Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon star in it. I reccommend it and if you haven't seen them before--Garden State and The Big Chill great movies for completely different reasons.
Garden State is a great movie, yeah I really enjoyed that one. I must check out Harold and Maude. I've often meant to watch it but just never got around to it.

Quote:
I looked up Mr. Thompson's recent album. I liked most of it, esp. the first 3-4 songs. I may buy it this summer sometime.
It's a really brilliant album. Teddy kind of has a country feel to his work. He's a big Everley Brothers fan and that's eveident in his work. The album itself reminds me quite a bit of Jackson Brown. The songs are great, laced with a kind of dark humour and lyrics like "I wish it was over, I wish we were through. I wish when my phone rang it wasn't always you". Really good line.

Quote:
One final off-topic note, did I ever send you links/files of my writings? I am just wondering because a person I wrote a fake little story about wants to read it. (He's being a supportive friend I know) The thing is I'm nervous about letting him see what stuff I've imagined. I tried to get my friend/his roommate to let him read his copy but he never did and now this past week the friend that's in the story said he never got to read it too. :S Sorry, I just rambled on about something I've told like 3 people now. I get all sorts of advice on things before I do it.
Yes you did send me a link to it, just before Fanforum went down. I never got to tell you how good they were actually. I really enjoyed them. I must check and see if I still have the links or if they disappered into the Fanforum Bermuda triangle.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

I got the duet this morning. You and I are probably the premier Rufus files traders...at least on fan forum hehe.

Yay! I'm glad you also enjoyed Garden State. I was told about it through two really close friends and I'm glad I took their reccommendation ever since. Yes, do find Harold and Maude, totally unique but good movie.

I could tell that Teddy was a bit of an old country/70s American singer songwriter fan. I'm surprised you mention Jackson Browne. He was listed as someone Teddy sounded like in the reviews I read and I agree with it. I Jackson Browne, been listening to a lot of him, The Shins and getting back into my Queen fan-ness lately. hehe Yes I liked Teddy's dark humor that way. That now reminds me of Warren Zevon, he's sort of the dark horse singer/songwriter of the Jackson Browne/Springsteen/Zevon almost brotherhood trio. Love him too, RIP.

I'm glad you liked my writing. I was chosen as a staff short story writer at an arty paper at my school called The Underground Press before the semester ended.

But to get back on topic, I watched Brokeback today, I only heard a bit of the "King of the Road" duet, but I plan to listen to it in full tomorrow after my busy day of starting a new work job related thing lol. I loved hearing The Maker Makes once again. Rufus=hot
Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Loyal Fan

I actually think that the version of King Of The Road that they use in the movie is the orginal by Roger Miller, Rufus and Teddy's is just on the soundtrack.

Glad to hear that you're a Jackson Brown fan, I'm a big one too.

Congratulations on the writing for the paper. Wish I was that talented, everytime I've ever tried to write something I always think it sounds a bit trite and contrived

Best to leave it to the professionals like yourself.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

Jackson Browne is great! I've not found too many fans of him. What are some songs you especially like from him? I think the lovely Mr. W, Springsteen, and Jackson Browne are who I have the most lyrics from in my quote collection.

Thanks for the congrats about my writing and I don't think I'm that good honestly, not at all professional.
Reply   Post New Thread