Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

Franz Ferdinand#3: So Come and Dance With Me, So Come All Over Me...

Franz Ferdinand

Who are they?

(From left to right: )

Alexander Kapranos: Frontman, lead vocals, lead guitar, keyboards, piano, tambourine, high kicks
Robert Byron Hardy: Bassist, backward messages provider, cowboy, god
Paul Thomson: Drums, rhythm guitar, tambourine, backing vocals, best-hung man in Scotland, daddy!franz
Nicholas McCarthy: Rhythm guitar, backing vocals, keyboards, German, Stephanie's lover

And last, but definately not least...the 5th Franz:

Sir Andy Knowles: Keyboards, drums, rhythm guitar, tambourine, backing vocals, huge ass (*cough*) distraction during Outsiders...just about anything you can think of, really.

(These people really need to take a good picture of all 5 of them..really...finding one is driving me bonkers. )

Albums

Franz Ferdinand
You Could Have It So Much Better...With Franz Ferdinand

What are they?

The best band on the planet.

Also, a racehorse. Or an Archduke that was assasinated and was the spark that ignited World War I. Or Nick's great great great uncle whom we never talk about because it upsets him.

Why are they?

Because. That's it. Just because.

Oh yeah! Something about making music girls can dance to...and about making dark music that doesn't revel in emotional turmoil, but extols the message that you can work your way through it...that You Could Have It So Much Better, but you gotta work at it. Awesome.

When are they?

All the time. They are all the time. Except for after this summer when the festivals are over and they take a break and Alex runs off to "write some more tunes," as he puts it.

How are they?

The last time I checked they were fine. Drunk, and then hungover. Really good moods. Sorta giggly. Bob was really smiley. Nick had those downcast blue eyes with the dark lashes and was sexing everybody up, like usual. Alex was kicking high, though he looked a bit worse for wear the morning of. Paul looked a bit confused and harassed, but that might just be because his wife is due any day now. (**Edit they now have a son named Georgie...Paul still looks confused and harassed.) Andy frickin' looks happy all the time and although it's cute on him, it really makes you wonder how that boy keeps it up.

As for Parker and Andy Dimmick...Andy looked like he was about to cry on Friday, but looked quite happy on Sunday. Paker just looked pissed the entire time. That boy needs a hug.

Where are they?

Not in California anymore. (Well...Alex might just still be...)

Sorry...I mean...in Asia somewhere? As I said, summer festival season. After that it's home to Glasgow. Well, for Nick and Alex and Bob. Paul lives in London, and I'm not too sure on where Andy lives now...did he go back to Manchester? Something's in the water in Manchester when it comes to all these genius musicians...

Oh, and Before anyone comments on the title:

The title is taken from the song "Michael," from the band's self-titled debut. Although the record label made the band change the lyric to "So come and dance with me, so so come and dance with me..." Alex Kapranos still sings it the original way when they perform it live. Good for him.

This band makes me feel like this:

That is all.

**Note: I was really tempted to start this thread for "Fronz Ferdanind" but I was afraid I'd confuse people. Same as if I'd started the first thread for "Franz Fergindon."

Last edited by *Circe*; 07-31-2006 at 02:25 PM
*Circe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Total Fan

Ooh a prettiful new thread! OOh yes, pictures are goood!!

And on the cold wet dirt I cry.
Luinélwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

There! First post fixed. I'll have to update as soon as I get more info...but with Graham quitting ff.org I have no idea what to do with myself!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Graham quit?!

Nice opening post, by the way - although you spelt "hungover" wrongly Nice introductions of the boys, too.

Maybe you might like to include some/all of this in the introduction thread, I don't know:

And the stuff I stole from previous Franz threads, and put into my LJ -

Aberdeen Music Express
November 18, 2005

"We hunted down an old house to the south of Glasgow and just camped out there for a few months," said Alex. "Each of us had a bedroom and there was a big room to set up our equipment. It was important for us to get Franz Ferdinand back to basics, to recreate that early vibe where we were just going round to one another's flats to write songs. So we went down to this big sprawling house and slept on the floor as there was no furniture. It was absolutely freezing."

-

Oct 20,2005 The Scottish Sun
Frontman Alex Kapranos also explained how his distaste for bland American grub has turned him into a connoisseur of exotic world foods. He said: "I can't stand hotel grub and the last straw came at this five-star place in Beverley Hills recently where the chef couldn't even boil an egg.

"He could conjure up every fancy salad under the sun but didn't know how to do the simplest things. I ordered room service for breakfast and ended up giving the chef a 20-minute masterclass on how to boil the bloody thing. I eventually had to explain to this highly-paid individual that it was something like poaching an egg but with the shell on. But I lost him when I tried to explain the concept of toast soldiers. I know it sounds like I'm a pop star moaning, but when it eventually arrived I got two burst poached eggs on a plate and was charged $50 for the privilege."

Alex added: "I've since decided to eat out everywhere and have been trying all sorts of insane-looking stuff from around the world - including things from under the sea that I didn't even know existed."

Drummer Paul Thomson has been keeping himself amused by writing the band's guide to hamburgers - which he hopes to turn into a bestseller. He explained: "I'm with Alex on the question of hotel food - even the hamburgers don't compare, and that's all I eat. When I realised all I do is scoff junk food everywhere we go in the world I hit on the idea of the Franz Ferdinand Burger Chart. So far I can say that the burgers at In And Out in Los Angeles are the finest on the planet. They also don't fill you up too much which means you can always go back for more if you're still hungry."

Paul added: "I've also been impressed with the rather top-of-the-range Kobe beefburger in San Diego. That one is supposed to be made from cows who are raised on beer and given daily massages - and I have to say it doesn't make a difference."

Fans in the cities across the States haven been stunned to see Alex, Paul, guitarist Nick McCarthy and bass player Bob Hardy wheeling by on bikes while en route to gigs. Alex said: "We got fed up being stuck in traffic everywhere. So we picked up the bikes in a place in Minneapolis. We even got a tandem for Paul because he's not so confident riding a bike on his own, even though he's a grown man.

"He only learned how to do it when we recorded our first album and he's still a bit shaky in the saddle. We could have limos to take us everywhere and around-the-clock bodyguards while we are in America, but I reckon all that does is draw even more attention to yourself. The last thing I need is to be seen walking down the street with two 25-stone bouncers at my side. It just wouldn't be right."

Alex added: "Going by bike is definitely the best way to see a city even if it is a bit funny sometimes seeing the looks on fans' faces as we go cycling by. The only drawback is you have to watch out for people throwing open taxi doors in your path. I've nearly come a cropper once or twice."

-

I found a quote by the producer of "You Could Have it So Much Better". He's Rich Costey, and they asked him about the bad habits the guys have that affected their work in the studio. And here's what he said:

NME: What are the band like in the studio? Any bad habits?

"The band unfortunately have quite a lot of bad habits. Alex became addicted to gardening, and during takes could be seen through the windows with a shovel. Nick would wake up at the crack of dawn every day, but as a result would fall asleep at random times and in strange places, including one time in the trunk of his car; Paul would start his day, every day, with the most deafening racket of showtunes; and Bob spent every waking minute practising his bass."

-

Some interesting answers from an interview in some NNE, er, interview. Such great vocabulary I have. Anyway!

NME, August 2004

Question: What's your most funny experience live on stage?
Alex: Splitting my trousers on stage in France recently.
Nick: Watching Alex split his trousers right down the middle.

Question: Alex and Nick, why do you always put your hands up like you are trying to get the teacher's attention?
N: Trying to get YOUR attention.
A: There's usually something interesting going on in the lighting rig above us. I'm just trying to point it out.

Question: Did you have a crush on someone famous when you were kids?<
A: No.
N: Nancy Sinatra.

Question: If you could only wear one colour sock (shock horror Alex!) for the rest of your life, what colour would it be?
A: I'm too shocked and horrified to answer.
N: Black.
Paul: White.

Question: Would Bob like to be my date for my prom?
A: He did mention that he was hoping you'd ask, just the other day. I think.

Question: I have a kitten named Bob, do any of you know of anyone who named a pet, child, boat etc. after you? And if so, do you find it flattering or just strange?
A: Kapranos the puppy is very happy.

Question: If Nick wears the tightest trousers, how come Alex is the first member of the band to manage to split his trousers? P.S come to Wales or else...
N: I'll come to Wales if you get rid of the mad gunmen.
A: Nick favours stretchier fabric than I do.

Question: Alex, is there anything you AREN'T allergic to, something for all of us to keep in mind when we go and buy you gifts?
A: It's only peanuts and things that make you wheeze and sneeze that I'm allergic to.

(he forgot to mention animals)

Question: I read somewhere that you live in the Chateau in Glasgow, is this true or do you have another Franz house somewhere?
A: The last person that lived in the chateau for any length of time got a brain infection from the dead pigeons. We all live on a bus now.

Question: What is/was the deal with Paul's moustache (It reminded me of the scary man from Sparks)?
A: Anything that reminds you of Ron Mael is good. It reminded me of the spiv from the 'St Trinian's' films.

Question: Who are your ultimate celebrity crushes?
N: The girl from 'Amelie'.
A: The girl from that band.

Question: I don't think anyone would think of this question but what's your favourite colours?
N: Black.
A: Orange.
B: Cream.
P: I'm colour blind.

Question: What do you guys think of The Scissor Sisters' 'Take Me Out'?
A: I loved it. They made it sound like it was theirs, which is what a good cover should be. Great band, too.
N: Still haven't heard it yet.

Question: Would you ever play a gig naked?<
A: No

-

From their webchat...

Agua Marina Mermaid asked:
IS any or you vegetarian? i am so i was courious ^__^ What do you all do for fun? or on the road???

Bob:
I'm a vegetarian inbetween meals.

Full chat transcript available here.

Last edited by goodnightboy; 06-12-2006 at 08:54 PM
goodnightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Master Fan

When I start the next thread, I'm going to change it completely because all of the information will be dated. Maybe I'll just include pictures. If I put everything you just posted right now, it'd make the intro too long and annoying to go through, so I'm just going to leave it as it is.

Even though that Alex in teh shower pic is I'm reluctant to post any solo pictures of the guys on the intro because it'll be like picking favorites, and I hate that...I had no choice for Andy because there is no GOOD pic of all five of them at once. Pisses me right off.

I really enjoyed re-reading all the quotes.

And I fixed the "hugover" typo. Still reeling from that delicious Alex hug, I guess...Freudian slip.

And yes...Graham quit .org. He's still admin of .co.uk. But still...it isn't the same...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, as long as whoever comes in sees everything it's good

The Alex hug is amazing, as is Andy's drumsticks. Do you have both, or only one?

Yes, it's not the same
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Master Fan

I gave one to Robyn because, hello! She deserves one. She's my partner in crime.

Aww, but I slept with it next to me. And it's sitting right in front of me right now...good...taht was an intense feeling. And the grin on his face! AND NICK'S NOD OF CONSENT!

That band is beyond amazing. It's an unparalleled, unrivaled world of Franz that I inhabit. And I keep staring at the pic of me and Alex and he has his arm on my shoulder and I can't believe it! I want to go back in time...

I am still cracking up over his confusion about who collaborated on one of his own songs. Did Paul, or did he not do the drums on Jeremy Fraser?

I wonder what he would've said had I asked about Brown Onions.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Circe*
I gave one to Robyn because, hello! She deserves one. She's my partner in crime.
<--That's cute.

This past weekend was incredible. There are hardly any words to describe how much fun I had with Teh Franz. I'm going to miss them a whole lot...especially Alex's thrusting, Paul large bulge, Nick red nose, Bobbeh's cute smile and Andy's killer ass. They are drunken debauchery at it's best.

Yes, oh yes, the title of this thread is the shiznit.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Total Fan

AHAH I love the new and improved opening post Very nicely done Belle

We needa picture of Andy's ass!! Or all their Asses!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Master Fan

Did we gett any pictures of Andy's ass?

In one of my letters I wrote a note to Andy telling him how distracting his ass is during Outsiders...and then he gave me his stick.

So happy they don't think I'm odd.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Total Fan

AHAHAH!! I love your letters! I want a letter!!!! I sent you chocolate

I want a poster, just of Andy's ass.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Master Fan

You want me to write you a letter telling you about your ass during Outsiders?

OMG I am so excited for the new songs that are going to be on the Eleanor single!

I can't wait! I'm always jonesing for new Franz stuff. The period between the new songs and the new album is going to be toooortuuuure....no touring.

I'm amazed they didn't play Eleanor at all the past two gigs. AT ALL. They played it for Coachella...the popish version. It's their next single...granted, in the UK....but they know they have crazy fans who'll buy the imports over here. Nick was amused I knew the lyrics to L. Wells.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Total Fan

Yes! My ass is hot during Outsiders!

They didn't play Eleanor at Rock am Ring either I wanna hear the popish version!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sadly, these are the only Andy Ass shots I have.

My signature seems to go along with it!

Edit because OMG...

Stephanie...

Last edited by _Robyn; 06-14-2006 at 06:10 PM
_Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Master Fan

When they did the back to back thing at Coachella everyone was cheering so loudly!!! And I was having Franzgasms. I was like:

"Holy mother jesus christ and all the saints in heaven this is it, right? This is rock and roll, right here, and I'm living it..."

And then I went into cardiac arrest quadruple times...

CRAP! I THINK I AM HAVING POST-FRANZ DEPRESSION RIGHT NOW!!!

*fondles Andy's drumstick*