Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Elite Fan

Heroes Pilot Episode 1-01 Discussion Thread - Genesis (September 25)

Hi everyone! One of the tag phrases used with Heroes is 'a change is coming' and that's how I feel about Milo's career because of Heroes- a great change is coming Hopefully this episode will be the start of something truly special for all of us

I hope everyone enjoys the pilot and its discussion. Here is the episode description:

GENESIS - As a total eclipse casts its shadow across the globe, a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, "Blind Guy Driving") in India is led by his father's disappearance to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us. A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia, "Gilmore Girls") tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar, "Judging Amy") that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere, "Ice Princess") learns that she is totally indestructible. A single mother (Ali Larter, "Final Destination") struggles to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey, "My Wife & Kids"), discovers that her mirror image has a secret. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera, "Empire"), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress, NBC?s "Third Watch"), can paint the future. And in Japan, a young man (Masi Oka, NBC's "Scrubs") develops a way to stop time through sheer will power. Yet, unbeknownst to them all, their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world.

Episode 1.01 'Genesis' recap (Milo Scenes)

The pilot begins in New York City, with Peter standing on the edge of a high building. His face is full of emotion. Slowly, he lets himself fall over the edge.

He comes to, sitting in a chair in a man's bedroom. Peter is a home care nurse and is taking care of an older man who is resting in bed. He is a wealthy man, who made a killing playing the stock market. The man's daughter, Simone Deveraux (an art dealer), walks in. They talk about the man's health. She tells Peter she doesn't know what they'd do without him, that Peter has "a real gift". She says Peter is like a son to her father. He says that might be a little awkward if he ever wanted to ask her out, but she lets him know that she is dating someone. Peter then begins to change the man's IV.

Peter lets himself fall off the roof of the same building again. We get the sense he is now flying through New York city. Now he is falling, but before he hits the ground he sees a man (his brother, Nathan) standing below and looking up at him smiling.

Peter comes to, inside a taxi cab. A bus pulls up beside the cab. It has a poster along its side, stating 'Nathan Petrelli for Congress'. Peter looks at his brother's picture with pride. He gets out of the cab.

Inside his campaign headquarters, Nathan is on the phone telling a Mr. Linderman that he'll have to call him back.
(Side note: a man named Linderman is also mentioned with Niki. He is mafia and she borrowed money from him. Its not made clear if they are the same man though.)

Peter walks in and tells Nathan 'it' happened two more times. They begin to walk as Nathan gets ready to leave.

Peter- "Sometimes I'm falling. Sometimes I'm flying. And sometimes you're in 'em."
Nathan- "I don't have time for this now."
Peter- "They're not just dreams, Nathan. I thought they'd go away, but they're not. This morning, when I got out of bed, my foot hovered before it hit the ground. Hovered for a split second. Like I was - floating. I'm telling you, I think I can fly."
Nathan- (chuckles) "Tell you what, you think you can fly, why don't you jump off the Brooklyn Bridge? See what happens."
Peter- "Maybe I ought to start with something a little lower first. It's like learning to walk."
Nathan- "You're serious?"
They walk outside now, continuing the discussion.

Peter- "Oh, I'm serious."
Nathan- "You need to snap out of it, Peter. See a doctor. Get some drugs. But do not pull a Roger Clinton on me, man. I'm eight points down in the polls."
Peter- "This isn't about you, all right? Something is happening to me, and I have this feeling that you're the only person that's gonna understand this."
Nathan- "Why the hell would I understand that you think you can fly?"
Peter- "Because you're my brother."
They're interrupted by Nathan's cell phone ringing. It's their mother, telling him she was arrested for shoplifting.

At the police station, their mother is alone in a room. Peter and Nathan walk in. She tells them they dropped the charges, that she has to only fill out a form so its no big deal. Nathan stands as Peter sits beside her and holds her hand.

Nathan- "No big deal? I'm running for Congress. Do you have any idea what this is gonna do to me if it gets out. With our family's past."
She reveals the item she stole was socks.

Nathan- "Dad left you a fortune. What are you thinking? You know, its been one rediculous stunt after another with you for the last six months. Dad's gone. Just get over it."
Peter tells Nathan to leave her alone, that she's okay and that's all that matters, but Nathan is more worried about it hitting the press. Peter tells him to leave, go worry about his image, and that he'll handle this. Nathan sarcastically thanks his mom, and leaves. Peter kneels down to his mom.

Peter- "What were you thinking?"
Mom- "I just wanted to feel alive again."
They touch foreheads.

Peter and his mother leave the room. He tells her Nathan only cares about himself and she says their father was the same way. She refers to Nathan and his father as "Alpha dogs". She puts on her coat.

Mom- "You, in the meantime, for all your selflessness in sitting with dying people ...what? You gonna retire on what you make?"
Peter- "Maybe I'll shoplift my socks."
Mom- "Don't get smart. When you put everyone else first, you end up last. You always put Nathan first. He took advantage."
Peter- "Yeah, it wasn't you that was just pushing him right out in front of me?"
They wait for the elevator.

Mom- "He takes up more space than you. Demanded more attention. And besides, it's not my fault you allowed it."
Peter- "He's my brother. I love him."
Mom- "Oh, gah."
The mother gets tired of waiting for the elevator and they go down the stairs.

Mom- "Love is overrated."
Peter- "And he loves me too. I know it. We've always been close."
Mom- "Rose-colored glasses."
Peter- "That's cruel, mom."
She stops on the stairs.

Peter- "Look, since dad died, I know you've been feeling free to speak your mind but it wouldn't hurt to edit yourself every once in a while."
Mom- "I'm sorry if the truth hurts. I'm just saying you hero-worshipped him. And those feelings were never returned."
Peter- "You're wrong. It's biological, and I can't help it. We're ...we're connected."
She strokes his face.

Peter- "I never told you this, but when Nathan had his accident, I knew it."
Mom- "We all got the same call."
Peter- "No, I'm saying before the call. Like he was telling me, 300 miles away. I woke up, and I knew that he'd been hurt."
The mother pauses, then lightly smacks the side of his face with her gloves.

At his campaign headquarters, Nathan is on the phone, thanking a 'Tom'.
Its assumed this Tom helped him hide his mothers arrest from the press. Is it Linderman?? Peter walks in and Nathan tells him he buried their mothers 'wrap sheet'.

Nathan- "Why can't she get herself a hobby, like a normal person."
Peter- "They were married 41 years. It's a plea for attention. She's lonely. Give her some time, will you."
Nathan says he doesn't have time, that he only has eight days to make up ten points. He then tells Peter he wants to offer him a job. He says he trusts Peter and that he's good with people. He needs a coordinator to help organize the volunteers, and Peter has "nice-guy instincts" and he can use that.

Nathan- "I'm a shark, Pete. Everybody knows it. It's starting to show up in the polls. I bring you on. It kind of reflects well on me. You know what I mean?"
Peter- (chuckles) "Yeah, all right, so I make you look good. That's a new one."
Nathan- "It makes me look like I put family first. I mean, I know that sounds self-serving but this is for you too, right? You gotta think of your future."
Peter- "Why do you do that?"
Nathan- "Do what?"
Peter- "Even try to make it look like this has something to do with me. You didn't hear anything that I said earlier today, did you?"
Nathan- (Makes flapping wings hand gestures) "That bit about how you can fly? Yeah, I did. I'm going to pretend for both our sakes that you didn't say anything like that. I'm trying to do the right thing here."
Peter- "Look, I already have a job."
Nathan- "Yeah, watching old people die. Now there's a career. It's not cute anymore, man. The dreamy kid sitting in the back of the classroom staring out the window. It's time for you to grow up."
Peter looks hurt.

Nathan- "Look, I cast a big shadow, Pete. I get it. Life isn't fair. But there's nothing I can do about that. I'm trying to do the right thing by you here. Okay?
Peter- "I don't want your pity."
Peter leaves.

Outside, he sees Simone across the street hailing a cab. He goes to say something to her but a cab stops and she gets in it.

Peter puts on his sunglasses and gets in a cab that has stopped in front of him. The driver is Mohinder Suresh. He was introduced earlier. His father, who was studying theories about people with abilities, died.

Peter tells him to go to Center and Canal, where he lives. As they drive off, Peter looks up through the back window at the Solar eclipse. Mohinder says its a global event and that it makes one realize how small our planet really is. That "we're all quite small really, aren't we?". They introduce themselves to each other.

Peter- "Do you ever get the feeling like you were meant to do something extraordinary? ...I'm talking about who you are. I'm talking about ...being special."
Mohinder- "Yes, we are all special."
Peter- "That's not what I meant."
Mohinder- "Some individuals, it is true, are more special. This is natural selection. It begins as a single individual, born or hatched like every other member of their species. Anonymous. Seemingly ordinary. Except they're not. They carry inside them the genetic code that will take their species to the next evolutionary rung. It's destiny."

'Eyes' by Rogue Wave plays as they fade into scenes showing all the 'Heroes' looking up at the Solar eclipse and the song really suits it. The song is on the 'Just Friends' soundtrack. A fan made a video using the song so you can hear it HERE.

In the cab, Peter answers his cell phone. It's Simone. She tells him to get to her dad's, and to hurry. Peter gets out of the taxi.

Peter walks into Simone's father's bedroom. Simone is frantically looking around the room for morphine, and tells him he needs to come somewhere with her. Peter tries to tell her something, but she tells him it'll have to wait.

Peter- "No, look, I need to tell you about this. I need to stop living for other people. My whole life, I've no idea what I'm supposed to do, what I'm supposed to be. If I even have a destiny of my own."
She tells him they can talk about this later. She finds the morphine and tells him she needs him to come with her, that he's a nurse so he can give him a shot. He can help him.

Peter- "Help who?"

Peter and Simone rush into Isaac Mendez's apartment. Isaac is an artist, and Simone's boyfriend. They find Isaac on the floor. He's overdosed. Peter checks him and says he is alright and for Simone to call 911. Peter then looks up and sees a painting that Isaac has done. Its a comic type painting, of Peter, flying off the roof of a building. He stares at it. Isaac then tells Simone they have to stop 'it', pointing to a painting he has made on the floor of New York engulfed in flames and explosions.

Peter is again on the edge of the roof of the building.

Nathan gets out of a cab. He is on his cell phone and says '"All right, I'm here. Now what do you want? Peter?"
Suddenly, a cell phone drops and smashes to the ground by Nathan. He looks up and sees Peter at the edge of the roof.

Peter- "I've been up here all night, thinking about this. Thinking about my destiny."
Nathan- "What you doing, Pete?"
Peter- "It's my turn to be somebody now, Nathan."
Nathan- "Come on Peter, quit screwing around."
Peter looks up, holds out his arms, closes his eyes, and lets himself fall over the edge. He doesn't fly though, he falls. Suddenly a figure rises up to catch him. It's Nathan. They spin in the air as they each try to hold onto each other.

Peter- "You're flying, Nathan. You're flying. How did you..."
Nathan- "I don't know."
They both strain to hold onto each other, but Peter looses his grip and falls.

Nathan- "No!"

To be continued....
Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

I hope it is good tonight!!!! I want details... I have to wait to DL it before I see it.
Icon by: Sparkling_Diamond
Polia*MAD*Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Supreme Fan

Nothing can stop me from watching it tonight (even though I've already seen it at ComicCon.)
Shanti70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for starting the thread, Kel!

And yes, you're right... a change is coming... in more ways than one!!

I just can't wait for 9 pm tonight!! I don't know how I'm going to get through the day with trying to contain all my excitement!!
darcybennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm very excited for tonight! I've been looking forward to this show for awhile!

There's so much I can fake
There's only so much that I can prove
avi by open_distance
UltimateFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Loyal Fan

I can't wait to see it! Even though I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow.

I hope everyone enjoys it tonight!
Derek&Meredith · Sam&Addison · Will&Emma
all.at.once is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Master Fan

I'm so nervous and yet excited!! I hope I'll be one of millions and millions of viewers watching at 9:00 tonight on NBC!! *iz very anxious*

Only 15 minutes for me!!

ETA

Well... just finished watching... and... WOW! What a great start!

I loved the camera work and how some of the 'heroes' have already crossed paths... without really knowing. I really liked how they jumped from one hero's story to the next. It didn't feel rushed or like they were trying to pack too much into one hour.

And Milo... amazing as usual. I really enjoyed how Adrian and him played off each other. And it was a real nice surprise to see their mother introduced in the show and how Milo interacted with her. I just loved the scene in the police station and how caring and troubled he was about his mother's attempt at getting attention. I loved when she leaned over and touched foreheads with him, and how absolutely sincere he comes across. He is a strong character already and I can definitely see him in becoming a leader.

And the last scene?! Whoa.

The other heroes' stories are as strong and interesting as the next. Claire, Niki, Hiro and Isaac's individual struggles have all captivated me. And the previews for the weeks to come are incredibly exciting! Holy tight spandex! I really hope it captured a lot of people's imaginations tonight... and that the ratings will be great! *keeps fingers crossed*

Last edited by darcybennett; 09-25-2006 at 07:14 PM
darcybennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Elite Fan

Milo was amazing. It is so wonderful to see him on a show like this. You can really see how he has gotten even better with his instincts as an actor. He worked so well with all the actors... they all seem so comfortable in their roles.

What was your favorite Peter moment/scene tonight?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Supreme Fan

I loved this! Milo was incredible. Did you all recognize his mother as Chris' mom in GG?

Hmm..my favorite Peter moment...has to be the end. I think that he let go of Nathan, that the didn't slip, it was intentional. What do you guys think?
Shanti70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'd already seen the screener (or whatever it's called) but I was so excited for tonight that I didn't even want to go to the bathroom during the commercials in case it came back on!

And it was sooooooooo good. Again.

There were a couple of changes, but I guess those could have been for plot reasons.

Quote:
What was your favorite Peter moment/scene tonight?
I enjoyed his scene with his mom and his scenes with Nathan. But Milo just works great with whoever he's on screen with, so it's difficult to choose. He was amazing.

And the clips in the promo for upcoming episodes looked AWESOME! I can't wait for next week. I'm so happy that Milo is part of something that looks like it has so much potential.
Holly Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, I saw the didn't slip, I hope it wasn't unintentional. I want him to be able to fly eventually. It will be heartbreaking for him to find out he can't fly.

It was great to see him acting again and this director really liked close-ups so you could watch all his reactions up close. I loved his expression when Nathan told him he had to grow up.

No I didn't recognise his Mom, she looked familiar but thanks, Shanti.

Watch "Heroes" 9 pm Mondays on NBC.

Av by Tooty
mibagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

I can't wait to see it!! I really want to see Milo in this!!!
Icon by: Sparkling_Diamond
Polia*MAD*Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

I absolutely loved it! Milo and the whole cast did a great job. And boy, did he look good!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Loved the Pilot! I was hooked with the opening narration very interesting.

Love the professor and his research. Loved the over all concept. Very interesting character.

Oh and the eclipse of the Sun I loved it was like the beginning of creation which I am sure what is what they were going for and how it was named Genesis the beginning of creation very cool.

The cheerleader and the alter ego girl were really creepy but I found the alter ego girl character to be very interesting dark but interesting. She is the moral one trying to do good while she is being pulled to the dark side. I love it!

The time travel guy rocked I had an on going joke with my college friend Maggie in college and we would say Yatta aka "I did it" in Japanise all the time so I was dying when he kepted on saying that His character was so funny. I loved it.

OMG Milo makes the show! I LOVE Milo! and I LOVE his character Peter and can relate a lot to him. Well maybe not the flying part but I totally understood what he ment when he said how he could feel his father was in trouble.

The same thing happend to me when my grandpa died when I was 14 3 days before he died I had a feeling something was going to happen I had this strange feeling in my bones. It was so weird. Since then I have had similar experiences esp with dreams.

ok now that I totally have freaked you out sorry and no I am not a super hero at least I don't think so

But I will tune in next week. However I feel that it should have been a 2 hour pilot. Instead of them breaking it up. I felt like something was missing.

When my friends saw it at Comic Con they saw the whole 2 hours and said it was amazing and really got you into the show. They said the cliff hanger for next week is amazing and is what got them hooked.

I hope it is not cancelled as well. I think it has potential and I love the whole concept of why are we here and what is our purpose and all of the Supernatural stuff.

Heros was amazing I am so watching next week to see what happends.

Hope all is well my fellow Hero fans!

Come ot the Hero's board all of you Milo fans it is jumping with much excitment over out Peter!

Love,
Erin
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Peter was so precious. He's kind of the type of person I want to be.

And I doubt he'll be the one with the power to fly. I could be wrong, but I feel like Nathan's the flyer and Peter'll have some other power.

Also? Mohinder is pretty freakin' awesome. And Hiro is SO CUTE. SO CUTE I want to scream.

And the painter, whose name I can't remember (ETA: ISAAC!!!), I liked him. And Nikki (and her son; he's such a great kid).

Only things I'd have to say I didn't like was the camera work in the flying scene...made it look kind of corny. And I wish there wasn't ALREADY a love interest for Peter. I tend to hate it when shows start with the given premise of a love interest. I wish they'd wait until you actually get invested in the characters to do that--the girl he likes, for example, hasn't made an impression as a character on me yet; she's been so relegated already as The Love Interest. And it's especially difficult when you end up hating one member of the premise couple, because you know you're just never going to like where it goes. But, who knows, she might turn out awesome. But I still wish writers would let their characters become people before they start mapping out their futures.

Last edited by Airie; 09-26-2006 at 12:20 AM
Airie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread