Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

Sense & Sensibility (1995) #1

I love this movie. Kate Winslet was fantastic in her role!
M.I.S.S.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

^Ditto, I fell in love with her during the scene with her on the piano and Alan Rickman watching her.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Master Fan

I loved all of her scenes, she was just fantastic and the dresses she wore!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
New Fan

hypothetics

You know... I posted a comment in regards to this movie and was completely bombarded at an official Jane Austen board for not identifying the correct name for "the piano". I called it a pianoforte only to be corrected with constancy that it was something else or another. Needless to say...

I thought that moment of Alan Rickman giving Kate Winslet the baby piano was rather sweet, too.

But...

As much as Alan Rickman understood and would probably tolerate that Kate Winslet was in love with Greg Wise prior to consenting to marry him, I always thought that Kate Winslet would always pine for Greg Wise for what could be forever... given she didn't seem to possess any real passion for Alan Rickman. I just didn't think that she would ever overcome that kind of love she had with Greg Wise. A real passionate one where she almost died from the heartache of loss. And, he seemed to be really in love with her if it weren't for the fact that she was pennyless. (In England, a gentleman has no real profession, he merely inherits money or obtains his fortune through a dowry his new wife would have.) I think Alan Rickman would be a good choice for Kate Winslet's character because he loved her so much. But, Kate Winslet would always want Greg Wise. Alan Rickman would make the ideal husband and truly take care of her and absolutely adore and love their children. But, would Kate Winslet ever love Alan Rickman with the same passion as she did Greg Wise? Hugh Grant and Emma Thomas loved each other and got each other in the end. But, only Alan Rickman did... in regards to his wife. If given the opportunity to run away with Greg Wise if the circumstances were right... would she? Meaning, he ended his marriage with his fortune wife and was willing to marry Kate Winslet and not just ruin her. I think given just a little more incentive... or jealousy... Greg Wise might indeed steal away Kate Winslet. He seemed to feel a real connection with her. He didn't touch her like he did the ward of Alan Rickman. And, it might be quite possible his aunt would hate his new society wife and go ahead and allow him his inheritance. It seemed that money was the only real factor stopping that match. The huge obstacle would be that Kate Winslet would already be married to Alan Rickman. And, there would be no obstacle if Greg Wise hadn't yet married his dowry wife.

I know... huge thoughts. And, a huge undo to do for that time. But, let's play hypothetics.
anna asukura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Master Fan

You make some good points! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Master Fan

I love Jane Austen! ... What i liked the most about the film was Alan Rickman... He really did a great job!
mokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

This was a cute movie, I loooove the Jane Austen books and films, so of course I knew I was going to enjoy this one.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Master Fan

I love the time period, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in that era!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.S.S.Y (View Post)
I love the time period, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in that era!
I would like to know it also but only if i was from a rich family... being poor was really bad in those times!
mokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

Exactly!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Master Fan

OMG. This movie is heave. You can't not swoon over the Colonel.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Don't forget Hugh Laurie... he only had a very small role, but he was hilarious in it!!!

Icon credit: Emelie
abritbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Master Fan

Oh, yeah! I love Hugh Laurie. Imelda Staunton was pretty good, too. Especially considering that when I saw this I had just seen her in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna asukura (View Post)
You know... I posted a comment in regards to this movie and was completely bombarded at an official Jane Austen board for not identifying the correct name for "the piano". I called it a pianoforte only to be corrected with constancy that it was something else or another. Needless to say...

I thought that moment of Alan Rickman giving Kate Winslet the baby piano was rather sweet, too.

But...

As much as Alan Rickman understood and would probably tolerate that Kate Winslet was in love with Greg Wise prior to consenting to marry him, I always thought that Kate Winslet would always pine for Greg Wise for what could be forever... given she didn't seem to possess any real passion for Alan Rickman. I just didn't think that she would ever overcome that kind of love she had with Greg Wise. A real passionate one where she almost died from the heartache of loss. And, he seemed to be really in love with her if it weren't for the fact that she was pennyless. (In England, a gentleman has no real profession, he merely inherits money or obtains his fortune through a dowry his new wife would have.) I think Alan Rickman would be a good choice for Kate Winslet's character because he loved her so much. But, Kate Winslet would always want Greg Wise. Alan Rickman would make the ideal husband and truly take care of her and absolutely adore and love their children. But, would Kate Winslet ever love Alan Rickman with the same passion as she did Greg Wise? Hugh Grant and Emma Thomas loved each other and got each other in the end. But, only Alan Rickman did... in regards to his wife. If given the opportunity to run away with Greg Wise if the circumstances were right... would she? Meaning, he ended his marriage with his fortune wife and was willing to marry Kate Winslet and not just ruin her. I think given just a little more incentive... or jealousy... Greg Wise might indeed steal away Kate Winslet. He seemed to feel a real connection with her. He didn't touch her like he did the ward of Alan Rickman. And, it might be quite possible his aunt would hate his new society wife and go ahead and allow him his inheritance. It seemed that money was the only real factor stopping that match. The huge obstacle would be that Kate Winslet would already be married to Alan Rickman. And, there would be no obstacle if Greg Wise hadn't yet married his dowry wife.

I know... huge thoughts. And, a huge undo to do for that time. But, let's play hypothetics.
You do make good points, but in the Jane Austen story. Kate Winslet realizes that she does truly and completely love her husband Alan Rickman and Greg's character Wise was a coward and cad.

Yes, his character was her passionate love that she almost died from. But Kate Winslet's character could never be happy knowing that her wonderful Greg Wise had not only been cheating on her with a young girl, but then got her pregnant and abandoned her. I don't think the marriage would have survived.

She sees that Alan Rickman's character is the great man that everyone states him as. She marries him because she knows that he will take good care of her and children they might how. She enjoys his company as a human being and it is after they are married that she realize she has a strong love for her husband. There is even a line that goes something like she couldn't have room for both of them in her heart. And how her husband Alan Rickman was the only man who remained there.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Master Fan

Man, you guys make me want to read the book. But, I kind of have to finish the Harry Potter ones first... And I'm only on the fourth.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top